Car & Driver Dyno Results: The 2020 Toyota Supra Makes More Power Than Toyota Claims

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
Can't wait to see the aftermarket get their hands on this. A tune, downpipe, chargepipe, and upgraded intercooler will probably put this thing at 470whp and 6xx wtq easily. And of course exhaust for sound. I doubt a simple exhaust upgrade will yield much power since the factory one seems like its really well designed.
Sponsored

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
I bet adding boost, intake and exhaust mods will help prolong that curve higher in the rpm. Depending on what boost level that turbo is at and it's not maxed out on its compressor efficiency range.

I did alot of 4g63 tuning on smaller street turbos. It was the same fight. Build the power curve as long as possible. True cold air intake netted 2 psi more boost than ram air. A full 3 inch exhaust made same hp as running no exhaust. Where the turbo starts losing steam that's where we added timing. The torque was high on my setup and hard on drivetrain. But man it felt sweet.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
I bet adding boost, intake and exhaust mods will help prolong that curve higher in the rpm. Depending on what boost level that turbo is at and it's not maxed out on its compressor efficiency range.

I did alot of 4g63 tuning on smaller street turbos. It was the same fight. Build the power curve as long as possible. True cold air intake netted 2 psi more boost than ram air. A full 3 inch exhaust made same hp as running no exhaust. Where the turbo starts losing steam that's where we added timing. The torque was high on my setup and hard on drivetrain. But man it felt sweet.
Was that in an DSM twin? Jeez, you must have gone through a lot of floor panels!
image_3-5588d1d633e79.jpg

Yeah I don't know how its going to go with this motor. A turbo upgrade might be the only thing that makes a significant difference on these. The exhaust is pretty beefy looking and that air to water intercooler is probably pretty efficient. Also 427lbs/ft to the wheels out of the box so Toyota may have already cranked it up so far that that turbo has nothing left.

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
Was that in an DSM twin? Jeez, you must have gone through a lot of floor panels!
image_3-5588d1d633e79.jpg

Yeah I don't know how its going to go with this motor. A turbo upgrade might be the only thing that makes a significant difference on these. The exhaust is pretty beefy looking and that air to water intercooler is probably pretty efficient. Also 427lbs/ft to the wheels out of the box so Toyota may have already cranked it up so far that that turbo has nothing left.
It's gonna be like other BMW turbo I6's. A tune and a downpipe will add power. A tune is the biggest power adder on these motors aside from going aftermarket turbo. A 340i with a tune can put down like 440whp and 420+wtq. https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=430180#post430180

A downpipe will always yield more power since you will be getting rid of the cats. Intake/exhaust is mostly for just noise. An exhaust on a 340i adds like 9hp/11tq. You can get more power by adding in a water/meth kit or e85 obviously. I think the same thing will apply here only with more power/tq at the table because of Toyota's ECU/engine tuning.

Last edited:

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Haha mine was the 1st gen flavor and awd. Thing made power on a small turbo 456hp and 510ft lbs to the wheels at 2600lbs. Ran 11.20's to 11.30's all day. Also broke the trans all day.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
A70, do you have any thoughts on the limitations of the plastic manifold parts or how difficult it will be for aftermarket parts companies to offer cast or custom welded alternatives?

I know that this would effectively remove the charge air cooler from the upper right side of the engine but I'm going to guess that there are limits to that system anyway beyond a "BPU" style upgrade and tune.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Where there is a will there is a way...

That said, decent performance has already been made on the B58 (6-700whp), so I'm not entirely sure what will be needed or if perhaps it is already available (or nearly so) somewhere.

Beyond my expertise.

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm assuming that is the cat with the 02 sensor. Where would the particulate filter be?

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
It's gonna be like other BMW turbo I6's. A tune and a downpipe will add power. A tune is the biggest power adder on these motors aside from going aftermarket turbo. A 340i with a tune can put down like 440whp and 420+wtq. https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=430180#post430180

A downpipe will always yield more power since you will be getting rid of the cats. Intake/exhaust is mostly for just noise. An exhaust on a 340i adds like 9hp/11tq. You can get more power by adding in a water/meth kit or e85 obviously. I think the same thing will apply here only with more power/tq at the table because of Toyota's ECU/engine tuning.
But it won't because the starting point is essentially that tune you linked. That's the version with the better head too isn't it? A catless downpipe I'm sure will add some power but buying a brand new car and going catless isn't the best for a DD or even possible anywhere with an annual emissions test.

I'm sure the community will figure the best bang for the buck mods soon, but this motor with this turbo and this tune might not have left much for big cheap easy gains. Oh well, it's a rocket from the factory.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
But it won't because the starting point is essentially that tune you linked. That's the version with the better head too isn't it? A catless downpipe I'm sure will add some power but buying a brand new car and going catless isn't the best for a DD or even possible anywhere with an annual emissions test.

I'm sure the community will figure the best bang for the buck mods soon, but this motor with this turbo and this tune might not have left much for big cheap easy gains. Oh well, it's a rocket from the factory.
That’s the older version of the B58, there are many many differences between the two with the upgraded fuel system being most notable.

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Lol people looking for power don't care for daily livability and emissions. Besides, you can either throw the stock cats back on when you for emission testing or bribe the tech to pass you. Or if you know someone who will pass you anyways.

Also a tune on these motors will be available soon enough. Burger Tuning, COBB, and others will no doubt get their hands on one and see what they can do. Same with Japanese tuners. Can't wait to see HKS, Greddy, Amuse, Top Secret and others pull off. ECU tuning and a downpipe will probably be the most common mods for power/tq on the car aside from going to a full turbo upgrade.
Sponsored