Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I was going to buy a 2021 until I saw this thread about oil consumption. I have been away from the forum for a while. I figured I would wait and see what turns up? Any news on the cause of excessive oil consumption? I am itching to buy one. Maybe a 2022.
Sponsored

bobombo

First Name
Lan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium 2021
So it finally came. The minimum level warning showed up at 4500 miles. Changed my oil at 1200 miles, there was no oil consumption then. My build date is 12/20.

I tried to keep the break in period within the guide line. Pulled it a couple times around 5K rpm but mostly kept it under 3-4K rpm, never redline.

I was curious. Opening up the CAI and there was oil in the inlet pipe and the turbo intake is coated with oil. Not quite sure what to make of this. Is this blow by? Is my engine toast?

20210807_175244.jpg

20210807_180406.jpg

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
So it finally came. The minimum level warning showed up at 4500 miles. Changed my oil at 1200 miles, there was no oil consumption then. My build date is 12/20.

I tried to keep the break in period within the guide line. Pulled it a couple times around 5K rpm but mostly kept it under 3-4K rpm, never redline.

I was curious. Opening up the CAI and there was oil in the inlet pipe and the turbo intake is coated with oil. Not quite sure what to make of this. Is this blow by? Is my engine toast?

20210807_175244.jpg

20210807_180406.jpg
It looks like blow by, hard to say what the cause is. I would recommend removing your catless downpipe and MST intake and take it into the dealership for low oil documenting.

Cylinder scoring can certainly increase blow by. I’m also guessing you’re still running the Gazoo 0w-20 oil?

-RJM

Last edited:

bobombo

First Name
Lan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium 2021
It looks like blow by, hard to say what the cause is. I would recommend removing your catless downpipe and MST intake and take it into the dealership for low oil documenting.

Cylinder scoring can certainly increase blow by. I’m also guessing you’re still running the Gazoo 0w-20 oil?

-RJM
I'm running Amsoil 0w-20. I've already put one quart of the oil in. I'm afraid the dealership wouldn't do anything now because I don't have the low oil warning message anymore.

I'm gonna try and call them Monday to see if they have cases like this and make an appointment. I will definitely take everything off before going to them. I'm not risking it and let them have any chance to get my car flagged.

Spoiler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
I have read some of this thread but not all of it.

A question I have is this; Is this excessive oil consumption mainly a problem on the 2.0 engine or the 3.0 engine or on both?

TIA

Spoiler

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
And mine dropped more than that in 500miles.
Make sure you run the car for at least 30 minutes before checking the oil. I checked mine before the 30 minute mark, and it showed I was down 1/4 quart, then I checked it later after the car was driven over 30 minutes and it read full. I was doing this experiment a few months ago, and it showed lower a few times when the car wasn't fully warmed up.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
I'm running Amsoil 0w-20. I've already put one quart of the oil in. I'm afraid the dealership wouldn't do anything now because I don't have the low oil warning message anymore.

I'm gonna try and call them Monday to see if they have cases like this and make an appointment. I will definitely take everything off before going to them. I'm not risking it and let them have any chance to get my car flagged.
Not tuned I take it?

I have read some of this thread but not all of it.

A question I have is this; Is this excessive oil consumption mainly a problem on the 2.0 engine or the 3.0 engine or on both?

TIA

Spoiler
It’s affecting only the 3.0 as far as I know.

Another thing I was just thinking about is how the measurement works. I was under the assumption that my car was only consuming oil once I got a certain mileage after an oil change (for me, that’s around 1600 miles) because I noticed it reads max for a while, than it seems to drop drastically once you hit a certain mileage point. But do you think the measurement will only read the amount between say, 5 to 6 quarts out of the full 6.9 quarts? So the reading will only dip below MAX once it gets below 6 quarts? It could be consuming oil at a constant rate but only seems like it drops fast because it reads the level between a certain amount.

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
I've travelled 1,800miles (2,900kms) Since my oil change, and I'm still at max. I've been hard on the gas pedal this time around. My total mileage on the car is 11,000kms (6,850miles) I'm hoping the consumption has slowed down.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Did you change oil types by chance? What are you using now?

Add 1 qt

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra gr
I bought mine used with 16,000 miles on it, car fax says oil was changed at 7k. I drove mine for a week and it gave me the low oil light and also burned it through the exhaust. I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and they’re taking Toyota

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm still using 0w20.
Thanks. Same here! Level went down to 1/4 then back up to half. So that means it must have slowed down or stopped. Crossing fingers snd hoping all is well!
Sponsored