Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Around a quart every 400-500 miles, but I’m driving it hard most the time.
Yeah that's not normal, IMO. I'm beating on my car every time it's out of the garage and I've only had to add a quart in about 7k miles, but I've also had an oil change in there around 5k. I added the quart at about 3k miles which I would expect during break-in and is consistent with other BMWs I've owned. The car has had some track time as well. I'd say whatever eventual TSB we'll supposedly see from Toyota will likely apply to your car with that kind of "burn" rate.
Sponsored

Cyph

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
Yeah that's not normal, IMO. I'm beating on my car every time it's out of the garage and I've only had to add a quart in about 7k miles, but I've also had an oil change in there around 5k. I added the quart at about 3k miles which I would expect during break-in and is consistent with other BMWs I've owned. The car has had some track time as well. I'd say whatever eventual TSB we'll supposedly see from Toyota will likely apply to your car with that kind of "burn" rate.
I got the car at the beginning of this year with 4K miles and now it’s nearing 18k I believe. Been going a little ham on the car filling up once per day and taking it on backroads close by. For how I drive it, it kind of makes sense but is still kind of alarming.

Last edited:

Delta1Seven

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0
So I have a 2022 3.0 with 4700miles. I just did my first oil change last night, the car showed my oil at about 80% (i have never added any oil). But after doing my change, I only accounted for exactly 5Liters of oil that I took out. Does that sound about right?

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
So I have a 2022 3.0 with 4700miles. I just did my first oil change last night, the car showed my oil at about 80% (i have never added any oil). But after doing my change, I only accounted for exactly 5Liters of oil that I took out. Does that sound about right?
I think factory spec is 6.9. Kinda sussy.

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
Does anyone know where the TSB rumors are coming from? I've only seen them in this thread, just wondering if there is any basis for em? Thanks!

Darksereniti

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FD3S, ‘21 Supra
took delivery of 22 end of Sept last year.
no oil issue for 5675 miles.

took the car to Toyota for their Toyota care oil change, 1k miles later, oil was at mid level.

took the car to Toyota to get it documented.
Supra tech said it is normal as the gauge supposed to mimic a physical dipstick.. I laughed and showed them a picture of when it was full a week before I took it them.

Supra master tech acknowledge that it is a known issue and topped off the oil. I checked the gauge and it shows full.

a week had passed (less than 200 miles), gauge shows mid level again. Will be taking to the dealer tomorrow.

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
took delivery of 22 end of Sept last year.
no oil issue for 5675 miles.

took the car to Toyota for their Toyota care oil change, 1k miles later, oil was at mid level.

took the car to Toyota to get it documented.
Supra tech said it is normal as the gauge supposed to mimic a physical dipstick.. I laughed and showed them a picture of when it was full a week before I took it them.

Supra master tech acknowledge that it is a known issue and topped off the oil. I checked the gauge and it shows full.

a week had passed (less than 200 miles), gauge shows mid level again. Will be taking to the dealer tomorrow.
Damn you are the first one that I've heard about for the 2022

Last edited:

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
So far I'm still at Max oil level. I have a 2021 at 3,000miles (only mod is catback exhaust - stock everything else and stock tune).

Driving habits: Did one track event and aggressive driving one weekend in the mountains. Other than that I drive it easy in the city.

I met a guy with a totally stock 2021 with 8,000+ miles he bought brand new last year. He had never heard of oil consumption issue when I asked him about it; he said he never got such a message. Only thing he did was that brake recall issue.

Update 2: I am pleased to announce that i've had the car for 1 year now and 6,000 miles. Did another track event this spring, added AA Catted downpipe in the winter, and to this date still no low oil error.

Before the first oil change, recently performed at Toyota dealership with OE 0w-20 oil weight, it had only burned 1/4 of oil, perfectly normal, especially during track event.

I drove it a little hard during mountain runs after the oil change a week later and still at max levels. 😁

Darksereniti

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FD3S, ‘21 Supra
Damn you are the first one that I've hear

took the car to Toyota, I got to their lot and checked the oil, it read max full.. I was like wtf… so I drove around for a bit.. rechecked… it said 3/4 full…. So I started to think it might be a sensor issue… drove around for a bit more and it read 1/2 full…. Talk to the service manager and showed the pictures I took of full, 3/4 full, half full.

dropping the car Thursday to have sensor check out.

hopefully it is just the sensor..

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Still doing good on my 2021 after an oil change a few months back.

Side note, a friend's 2022 M3 has this same issue possibly. First change was done at 5k. He hit about 5.8k and was alerted low. I know it's a different engine, but I find this odd....

Matthewstorm

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium w/Carbon Fiber.
The Toyota Executive office has confirmed that they are releasing a TSB for the excessive oil consumption on the GR Supra. The fix is planned to be released to dealers this March 2022. As we know this is affecting at least the 2021 models (and probably the 2022 since nothing changed). The guy I spoke with there wasn't technical and had little detail behind it to explain, but it sounded like oil is essentially slipping past the valve seals.

>I'm 4 quarts in at 4500 miles on my 2021 bought in April of '21
Whatever happened with this?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
It's the same shit, people just stopped talking about it because the buzz died down. There are no changes in the engine from the 2021 to the 2022.
Sponsored