Carplay has disappeared

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
Do you think someone entered each of our garages at night and turned off Carplay manually, and then re-entered and turned it back on manually? I don't understand why this is so difficult for you to grasp. ?‍♂
FWIW, I agree with MyCorolla; this sounds like it was a problem with BMW's authorization service, not a problem with an OTA update. The cars phone home to see if they're authorized to use CarPlay. For some undisclosed reason, BMW's servers decided a bunch of vehicles were no longer authorized.
Sponsored

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455
FWIW, I agree with MyCorolla; this sounds like it was a problem with BMW's authorization service, not a problem with an OTA update. The cars phone home to see if they're authorized to use CarPlay. For some undisclosed reason, BMW's servers decided a bunch of vehicles were no longer authorized.
How do the car's phone home?

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but they use the cellular modem that's mounted between the two subwoofers.
And that happens over the air, right?

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
And that happens over the air, right?
Sounds like just confusion over terminology. An OTA update is a software or firmware update downloaded over a mobile network. So, for example, if your car were to hypothetically receive a new iDrive version over a mobile network, that would be an OTA update. By definition, a device querying its subscription status over a mobile network is not an OTA update.

Anyway, I can't state definitively what happened in this case, and I know that others are tiring of this thread, so I'll stop responding.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sounds like just confusion over terminology. An OTA update is a software or firmware update downloaded over a mobile network. So, for example, if your car were to hypothetically receive a new iDrive version over a mobile network, that would be an OTA update. By definition, a device querying its subscription status over a mobile network is not an OTA update.

Anyway, I can't state definitively what happened in this case, and I know that others are tiring of this thread, so I'll stop responding.
I consider an OTA update to be any data that updates information on the car over the air, whether intentionally or not, software updates or credentials information related. CarPlay would have never been removed without the information traveling (over the air) and updating the car. And with that, I will kindly bow out of this conversation.

megu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
CarPlay almost came back. I was able to reconnect and activate CarPlay, but I can't access the CarPlay UI. The button on the lower left of the main menu isn't there, but both the phone and the car say CarPlay is connected. If I try to start playing music from my phone, the phone says it's playing but the car isn't aware of it. I was able to activate Siri though.

I tried reconnecting the phone several times and anything else I could think of, but no luck.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CarPlay almost came back. I was able to reconnect and activate CarPlay, but I can't access the CarPlay UI. The button on the lower left of the main menu isn't there, but both the phone and the car say CarPlay is connected. If I try to start playing music from my phone, the phone says it's playing but the car isn't aware of it. I was able to activate Siri though.

I tried reconnecting the phone several times and anything else I could think of, but no luck.
Did you code out anything on iDrive? Try restoring it if so.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Code out? The only thing I did was turn off active sound design.
Try coding something out in iDrive...like the warnings. I had the same issue as you when CarPlay showed up and I restored those warnings which restarts the iDrive/headunit and it came back.

megu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Try coding something out in iDrive...like the warnings. I had the same issue as you when CarPlay showed up and I restored those warnings which restarts the iDrive/headunit and it came back.
Oh, just to restart iDrive? You can do that by holding down the volume/power button for ~20 seconds while the ignition is on. I did that when CarPlay first disappeared but didn't try it today. I'll try it again later, there's barely any network connectivity in the garage (but apparently enough to disable CarPlay) so I'm wary of doing stuff unless I'm going out for a drive.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Oh, just to restart iDrive? You can do that by holding down the volume/power button for ~20 seconds while the ignition is on. I did that when CarPlay first disappeared but didn't try it today. I'll try it again later, there's barely any network connectivity in the garage (but apparently enough to disable CarPlay) so I'm wary of doing stuff unless I'm going out for a drive.
Not sure if that's the same "restart" as when coding is done, but it may be. Either way, let us know how you resolve it.

megu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Not sure if that's the same "restart" as when coding is done, but it may be. Either way, let us know how you resolve it.
I thought I'd go for a late night drive to try and see if I can get CarPlay working. When I started the engine so I could reset iDrive, the fullscreen CarPlay logo finally showed up on my phone, and the CarPlay UI finally showed up on the monitor. That was a relief.

I went for a drive anyway.

I guess step one is to reconnect the phone and re-enable CarPlay, and if it doesn't work right away step two is to wait several hours while the car's parked. I was actually driving around for an hour+ earlier in the day, it was only after leaving the car parked that it finally decided to start working.
Sponsored