Sponsored

ATLRedDevil

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Toyota Supra Base
Lost mine as well but itā€™s back now. I did have to delete and reconnect my phone but all is well with CarPlay now. Thanks for this thread. It kept me from having to make a trip to the dealer.
3495427A-2164-4865-95F4-14436E5A9CD6.jpeg

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455
Lost mine as well but itā€™s back now. I did have to delete and reconnect my phone but all is well with CarPlay now. Thanks for this thread. It kept me from having to make a trip to the dealer.
3495427A-2164-4865-95F4-14436E5A9CD6.jpeg
Dealer wouldn't have fixed it anyway. It's an OTA update which only BMW can send out.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's not an OTA update (Supra does not support such feature). It is a server issue for the Supra (BMW) Connect service.
How do you think they turn it on and off? :rolleyes:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
How do you think they turn it on and off? :rolleyes:
We agree that there is internet connectivity right. You connect your phone, phone sends signal, does VIN have CarPlay subscription. Server down or server rejects VIN. Your CarPlay doesn't work. Simple as that...

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
We agree that there is internet connectivity right. You connect your phone, phone sends signal, does VIN have CarPlay subscription. Server down or server rejects VIN. Your CarPlay doesn't work. Simple as that...
I donā€™t think it has anything to do with your phone sending anything anywhere. The Supra has its own LTE modem for data (news, weather, traffic, etc). The car communicates with the BMW Connected Drive servers autonomously. This is how they manage subscription services like CarPlay (among other things). OTA updates are part of this system allowing for updates on features, content, etc.

Everything I have read about this and previous outages suggested the cause was an OTA update from BMW that caused the service/feature to be removed from the cars.

I could be completely wrong, though

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Indeed. I forgot about the internal modem. That sounds right.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I donā€™t think it has anything to do with your phone sending anything anywhere. The Supra has its own LTE modem for data (news, weather, traffic, etc). The car communicates with the BMW Connected Drive servers autonomously. This is how they manage subscription services like CarPlay (among other things). OTA updates are part of this system allowing for updates on features, content, etc.

Everything I have read about this and previous outages suggested the cause was an OTA update from BMW that caused the service/feature to be removed from the cars.

Nope, you're right. I've owned several BMW's, one being the car I traded in my for my Supra. These types of OTA issues are not new.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE

CarPlay is part of the subscription services in Supra Connect. Those services require authentication and validation at central servers before they can be used in the car. Some glitch/bug at the server level caused the outage.

Supra Connect "does not" do automatic, remote updates to the infotainment. If available, you'll get an option to update. See this FAQ page:

https://www.supraconnect.com/app/index.html#/portal/faq-and-support

Also, note that map updates are not done over the air. They require you to download them on a computer to a USB stick

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Also, note that map updates are not done over the air. They require you to download them on a computer to a USB stick
Wrong. Ive received nav/map updates while I was in the car (not the only one, there was a thread about this some place on this forum). It prompts you then downloads them. Then the system restarts. No USB sticks were used.

Hereā€™s a pic from inside my car. Peep the ā€œautomaticā€ part and note that thatā€™s the latest map installment and says 2020-3 (version 3 is my wild guess). My carā€™s production date is 7/19 - so unless thereā€™s some tooth fairy magic involved it got them automatically as the menu says.

Perhaps now we can go back to how tooth fairy snuck into everyoneā€™s car and fixed their CarPlay manually (or at least those who had this issue).

911393A5-DBAE-4AEC-8E63-D5970179047D.jpeg

Last edited:

UFGators

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra launch, 2021 Supra a91
Mine is back! For how long.. who knows lol

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
Wrong. Ive received nav/map updates while I was in the car (not the only one, there was a thread about this some place on this forum). It prompts you then downloads them. Then the system restarts. No USB sticks were used.
Tell that to Toyota; they are the ones who authored the Supra Connect FAQs.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Tell that to Toyota; they are the ones who authored the Supra Connect FAQs.
Don't need to. It's something that's clear to me from owning my car and also when I log into the owner's section where it says I'm enrolled in the map updates and and also allows me to select a region that I need to update. It looks like it's only unclear to you, but you don't appear to own the car so perhaps stop spreading alternative facts :dunno:

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
So who knows where this internal modem/antenna is???

Has to be over air.
I have no supra or toyota apps on my phone. Had not even unlocked my doors since thanksgiving. Carplay was MIA 12/5

I have not driven again this week at all. so it may be back. Just really like to put tinfoil over this antenna or whatever.

-"I may be paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?"
Sponsored