Carplay has disappeared

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Tell that to Toyota; they are the ones who authored the Supra Connect FAQs.

Its also clear that with this BMW partnership, Toyota- especially dealers- may not be up to speed on all the Bavarian tricks....
Sponsored

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
So who knows where this internal modem/antenna is???

Has to be over air.
I have no supra or toyota apps on my phone. Had not even unlocked my doors since thanksgiving. Carplay was MIA 12/5

I have not driven again this week at all. so it may be back. Just really like to put tinfoil over this antenna or whatever.

-"I may be paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?"
It's in the trunk under the panel (where the battery is) just forward of the battery. I would be careful with how much you handicap the unit, I seem to remember @Guff had some issues with the car working correctly when the thing wasn't connected.

Edit: Looks like it sits under the subwoofer enclosure, between the speakers

Last edited:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

Attachments

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
Over in BMW world, that was called the TCU, the Telematics Control Unit. And it does have LTE cell capability, most certainly. It's how the Emergency Call button connects to BMW Assist, among other features.

Pro tip: these contain a rechargeable, Li/Ion battery. And when that battery goes bad, it throws a non-clearable, yellow code with some vague message to have the dealer inspect the vehicle. Ask me how I know... (on a '17 440i).

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Pro tip: these contain a rechargeable, Li/Ion battery.
FYI Guff had also mentioned and took a picture of it in the link, i quoted.

Stupid question for you. Do you think/know if alternator and battery tender recharges this battery? I'd like to think so, but since you have experience on this, I'm curious...

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
Stupid question for you. Do you think/know if alternator and battery tender recharges this battery?
Yes, it is charged by the electrical system, for sure. I've seen more than a few of these go bad (throwing a code) over the last few years, most were 3-5 years old.

I'm only guessing - based on experience with lithium batteries from the Radio Control world - that BMW keeps this battery basically fully-charged somewhere around 4.2V/cell. That's not great for Li/Ion batteries long-term. At that voltage, they slowly develop problems if kept at that potential, from lithium plating and electrolyte degradation. Better to routinely cycle these batteries, like your cellphone and laptop do. As this battery isn't really cycled (that I know of), its not surprising they tend fail after a few years.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455
Tell that to Toyota; they are the ones who authored the Supra Connect FAQs.
You're just wrong man. Some BMW owners were reporting outages at the same time that we were.

This has also happened in the past with BMW.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
You're just wrong man. Some BMW owners were reporting outages at the same time that we were.

This has also happened in the past with BMW.
Looks like you took my reply to Tsar out of context. If you go back far enough you'd see my postings referring to the CarPlay outage being due to an issue with Toyota/BMW servers. In fact, I was the first one who said that when everyone was speculating about other causes.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looks like you took my reply to Tsar out of context. If you go back far enough you'd see my postings referring to the CarPlay outage being due to an issue with Toyota/BMW servers. In fact, I was the first one who said that when everyone was speculating about other causes.
You stated it had nothing to do with OTA updates, which is absolutely wrong. It had everything to do with OTA updates, which has caused issues with BMW's CarPlay features more than once in the past.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
You stated it had nothing to do with OTA updates, which is absolutely wrong. It had everything to do with OTA updates, which has caused issues with BMW's CarPlay features more than once in the past.
Kudos to you for knowing exactly what happened.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Kudos to you for knowing exactly what happened.
Do you think someone entered each of our garages at night and turned off Carplay manually, and then re-entered and turned it back on manually? I don't understand why this is so difficult for you to grasp. ?‍♂
Sponsored