Chris Harris on GR Yaris and Supra.

Retrocade

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
Sorry I don't know whom the guy is either and honestly, I don't care what everyday peoples opinions are let alone some internet guy. I personally don't care who makes the car (supra) I like it. If ford made this car I would still like it. Really don't see how who makes the car matters one hill of beans. Its a great car you like it or you don't . If your only opposition to it is whos name is on it then I think your buying cars for the wrong reasons.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
If you think that Toyota had no hand in the development of the engine, then watch this video to enlighten yourself.
I didn't say they didn't have any involvement in it. They did failure analysis and extensive testing but they didn't build it.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
I love me some Chris Harris, but as a car journalist you get spoiled by being able to drive anything under the sun regardless of price, exotics and all. And as a result makes it hard for you to enjoy and appreciate lots of cars because you've seen it all, which may factor into the whole "just a bmw" thing, just my perspective. I come from a Corolla as a simple, humble man and am head over heels for The Supra lol
to me, driving everything should give you an adantage of being able to give a real review. Regardless of what he has been driving or driven. As a journalist, your opinion has to remain factual and subjective and most of all unbias and etc.

however, just like mainstream media, news and journalism is paid to create controversy. car journalism often times is exactly the same. take with a grain of salt.

EDIT: didnt even realize this was an older post, lol. My bad

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
what are you loling to? If its to the first part, well i think thats understandable, all people ever show nowadays is the Supra beating people in drag races and whatnot. I havnt seen a single MKIV video of it going around a track and getting really good laptimes. Maybe you thought i was talking about the A90? The comment was directed at the A80.

If its to the second part. The S2000 regularly beats many modern day vehicles around the track, and at autocross.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
what are you loling to? If its to the first part, well i think thats understandable, all people ever show nowadays is the Supra beating people in drag races and whatnot. I havnt seen a single MKIV video of it going around a track and getting really good laptimes. Maybe you thought i was talking about the A90? The comment was directed at the A80.

If its to the second part. The S2000 regularly beats many modern day vehicles around the track, and at autocross.
It's almost as if prior Supras werent sports cars that chased lap times, there were even times where the MR2 was quicker. The A80 chassis is great especially after you remove the boat anchor.

The S2000 is a completely different class of vehicle than any prior Supra.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

The S2K were made from 2000-2009 vs the MKIV from 1993.5-1998, you'll see more S2K's because Honda produced over 111K vs 47K of the MKIV. You haven't seen a single video because you haven't looked much into it. Makes sense since you never owned a MKIV and were too young to remember. Hardtop is definitely the better chassis but there are videos of them on the track.

ogun228

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Turbulence gray Premium Supra
If you think that Toyota had no hand in the development of the engine, then watch this video to enlighten yourself.

Tku for the vid: very informative and should really put the topic to rest. ( I wish!)

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@DesmoSD

I think you're kinda taking my original comment kinda out of context tbh. I wasnt actually attempting to compare the two. I was just using the S2000 as an example of a car that in essence lived up to its own legend in its stock form.

I'm not saying that there were NO Supras on the track, but lets be honest. What does everyone remember the Supra for? Is it, its times around the track? Or is it the 1000hp Lambo killer potential that it has? Every single magazine review on the car always talks about the 2JZ and its potential for big numbers.

My Point was, i think people are remembering something that isnt totally true. And then making a judgment based on a not completely real expectation. Kinda like the AE86. All these 86 fanboys think the Trueno is some drift god machine, when in reality, its just a really really slow Corolla Hothatch.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@DesmoSD

I think you're kinda taking my original comment kinda out of context tbh. I wasnt actually attempting to compare the two. I was just using the S2000 as an example of a car that in essence lived up to its own legend in its stock form.

I'm not saying that there were NO Supras on the track, but lets be honest. What does everyone remember the Supra for? Is it, its times around the track? Or is it the 1000hp Lambo killer potential that it has? Every single magazine review on the car always talks about the 2JZ and its potential for big numbers.

My Point was, i think people are remembering something that isnt totally true. And then making a judgment based on a not completely real expectation. Kinda like the AE86. All these 86 fanboys think the Trueno is some drift god machine, when in reality, its just a really really slow Corolla Hothatch.
I hear what you're saying but there are several factors. Even in stock form and in the 90's, the Supra was great. #1 back then and against some good competition. Another review put it up a 911 964 Turbo, Ferrari F 40 and Dodge Viper.
1.jpg

2.jpg

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...a-vs-the-best-sports-cars-of-the-early-1990s/

I've mentioned the global production numbers and even with those numbers, somewhere around 11K were only sold in the U.S. I mentioned the hardtop which was only available for 93.5 and 94 with a turbo/6spd configuration which was an even smaller number out of that 11K.

The problem was the price. Back then, young people didn't buy expensive sports cars like they do today. The people that bought it back then were the lawyers, doctors, executives etc. That's why you didn't see much of them on the track.

Not taking anything away from S2K but it's similar to a Miata. Honda needed it and they delivered a lightweight, RWD fun to drive roadster. Even though it was expensive when it came out, they made a lot and depreciated enough to where people can afford them and drive like how they were meant to be driven.

About the Corolla GT-S, sure you drive the car now, you'll think it's a slow and boring but in 1985, it was cheap, manual, light, roomy and of course RWD. It was the last Corolla to be RWD. There wasn't that many choices as today. Just like FnF with the Supra and anime with the AE86, those were made because of these cars, not the other way around.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah again i'm not arguing these werent amazing cars. I just think nostalgia plays a very good trick on the brain when remembering things that were great. Like for me, i had a 1995 Eclipse GST. I loved that car, my first turbo and fast sports car for that matter. I remember it handling and driving amazing and it being super driver oriented and i tried to even look for another one recently as a project car.

The thing is, i drove one recently, and it did not live up to my nostalgia at all. Sure it was fun and it was great, but man it was cramped, it body rolled like nobodies business, it wasnt really that fast, and steering feel was pretty numb.

My whole original point was that i believe people had over expectations for the A90 based on their own fantasy of what the Supra is and should be. Personally, i feel the Supra exceeded my own expectations and i find it a worthy successor to the A80. Now granted thats just based on my own idea of what the Supra was and my brief ride along in my neighbors Supra way back when i was a wee teen.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah again i'm not arguing these werent amazing cars. I just think nostalgia plays a very good trick on the brain when remembering things that were great. Like for me, i had a 1995 Eclipse GST. I loved that car, my first turbo and fast sports car for that matter. I remember it handling and driving amazing and it being super driver oriented and i tried to even look for another one recently as a project car.

The thing is, i drove one recently, and it did not live up to my nostalgia at all. Sure it was fun and it was great, but man it was cramped, it body rolled like nobodies business, it wasnt really that fast, and steering feel was pretty numb.

My whole original point was that i believe people had over expectations for the A90 based on their own fantasy of what the Supra is and should be. Personally, i feel the Supra exceeded my own expectations and i find it a worthy successor to the A80. Now granted thats just based on my own idea of what the Supra was and my brief ride along in my neighbors Supra way back when i was a wee teen.
That sounds like your own ideology. Sorry to break it to ya but I mean, it's an Eclipse... :rofl:

Even though my Supra is 26 yrs, it's an old car. It's not going to handle like a modern day car unless I upgrade it. Some of the rubber seals have dried up, it squeaks and makes all kinds of cricket sounds in the cabin and it has period credit stuff that makes me laugh like the table deck and built in equalizer. I jump into the 911, it feels tight but also time correct (a sim card slot for the PCM).

TBH, I think people's expectations were let down mostly because it was cross shared with BMW. When I test drove it, I thought the car was just ok. It didn't give me that wow factor and I got to drive it for over 30 mins, by myself (Covid rules). I tried to like it and didn't think about the whole BMW situation.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBH, I think people's expectations were let down mostly because it was cross shared with BMW. When I test drove it, I thought the car was just ok. It didn't give me that wow factor and I got to drive it for over 30 mins, by myself (Covid rules). I tried to like it and didn't think about the whole BMW situation.

Yup totally spot on. People immediately heard BMW and then somehow catapulted the A80 Supra into something that was this holy grail of JDM and that BMW should never touch it. And yet we forget that the E36 M3 was released around the exact same time and was a beast of a machine. And to its credit, it is still very relevant in track/autocross events. My friend heavily tracks and autox his E36 and consistently places in the top brackets.

End of the day, my point is that people are just too elitist about the previous iteration of this car and is of this mindset that BMW tainted it and its not as good as it could have been. I mean technically sure? If we had lets say gotten another LFA (in terms of engineering prowess and design, not saying if they built it around the LFA platform) i'm sure all the Toyota fan boys would be cheering about how good of a car Toyota built...and then noone can afford it.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yup totally spot on. People immediately heard BMW and then somehow catapulted the A80 Supra into something that was this holy grail of JDM and that BMW should never touch it. And yet we forget that the E36 M3 was released around the exact same time and was a beast of a machine. And to its credit, it is still very relevant in track/autocross events. My friend heavily tracks and autox his E36 and consistently places in the top brackets.

End of the day, my point is that people are just too elitist about the previous iteration of this car and is of this mindset that BMW tainted it and its not as good as it could have been. I mean technically sure? If we had lets say gotten another LFA (in terms of engineering prowess and design, not saying if they built it around the LFA platform) i'm sure all the Toyota fan boys would be cheering about how good of a car Toyota built...and then noone can afford it.
There's no somehow. It is one of the JDM holy grails. There is a reason for that and why we haven't seen proper successors to those 90's cars; RX-7 to RX-8, 300Z TT to 350Z, NA NSX to NC, AE86 to FT86, Silvia to...., Integra to..., 3000GT to... . It was booming times in Japan with a good economy. It's the same with the air cooled 911's. Just like any old car, they are time capsules that will never be made again.

BMW kept on going with the M3 lineage and now the the average price for a E36 M3 is the in the mid 20K range, except for the E36 M3 lightweight. Those things are collector grade because of their limited production numbers.

It's safe to say, most car enthusiasts want car manufactures to build their platform, not cross share it. A Maserati with a Ferrari engine is not that impressive and good that they cut ties. Toyota having teamed up with BMW to make this Supra happen is this result. There's nothing we can do about it. I do see a lot of Toyota fan not happy but they can afford it. Most Supra owners have multiple MKIV Supras, 50K+ in builds, have moved on to 911 Turbo/GT3/GT3 RS, McLarens, Lambos, Ferraris etc.

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/triggerscarstuff/6813507252/

Sponsored