Crash Supras on Public Roads

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
I have to say the stock tyres on the Supra make it handle like a dangerous dog when the road/tyres are cold.

Needs full respect at all times.

Also needs a driver who understands that when it's all going wrong you might need to do something different!
This precisely. That and a lack of talent or overconfidence in their ability to drive are the culprits.
Sponsored

SavagePassenger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 WRX
Watching this, I would say pretty confidently that TC was not turned on. He still was not 100% straight and he mashed the throttle, boost hit and car lost traction, wheel was not fully straight, he panicked and overcorrected. Not going to bash the guy because it happens to the best of us, he was trying to accelerate onto the highway and just sent it a little too hard, and unfortunately for him and the other car, wrong place wrong time. One of the best things a buddy of mine who races professionally told me once while we were out on the track, and this has been engrained in my head since that day ; Your tires can only do one thing great a time, accelerate, turn, or brake, whenever you start asking for more then that you better be on your A game. Given the assumption that this car is tuned at least with bolt ons, you are looking at 500+ hp, chances are they just recently left cars and coffee because tons of people are watching, so you have cold tires, and you mash it in 2nd gear, this was a bad situation from the start. Hope everyone involved is okay, cars can be rebuilt, his ego will definitely be bruised for a while tho...

For sure, too much throttle too soon and definitely under-tired for the power anyway.

So many people don't know when to let off the gas instead of overcorrecting with the wheel like an ape. Demote that guy to mustang driver.

initialDnut

First Name
Rikard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra Premium and 2023 BMW M5 Comp
If anyone has tried to drive the mkv on GranTurismo 7 without any aids, you will see how delicate throttle control you need not to loose that rear, especially on the GR4 version. Honestly, I am having to downshift early to 3rd half the time and that makes up for my poor throttle control.

I prefer to lose it on the PS5 than when I take it to the track or highway :)

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
If anyone has tried to drive the mkv on GranTurismo 7 without any aids, you will see how delicate throttle control you need not to loose that rear, especially on the GR4 version. Honestly, I am having to downshift early to 3rd half the time and that makes up for my poor throttle control.

I prefer to lose it on the PS5 than when I take it to the track or highway :)
no joke. Highly recommend sim-experience if you own a performance car. Made my first track experience so much easier, and the Supra is less of a handful during spirited driving.

I had years of Assetto/iRacing in a full sim-rig experience before I got my car, and the few times my Supra started to slide, I caught it quickly just by muscle memory. Run road cars on the NĆ¼rburgring without any driver aids for practice.

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
I just tried iRacing for the first time at a dedicated rig facility, is it just me or is it nearly impossible to catch Oversteer in that? small amounts sure, but I was not able to pull off a successful drift after trying my hardest for like 20 minutes in a miata.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
I just tried iRacing for the first time at a dedicated rig facility, is it just me or is it nearly impossible to catch Oversteer in that? small amounts sure, but I was not able to pull off a successful drift after trying my hardest for like 20 minutes.
Its harder than in real life since you can't feel the slide with your ass.

You are just working with less driver information. Also, if you were in a racecar, they are definitely trickier than a road car to catch a slide.

You do have to be quick with your corrections. That's why it needs to be muscle memory, and not something you think about

sdavidson0316

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ā€˜20 3.0 Premium
Serious question from a new Supra owner here, relevant to this topic:

I bought the car in November and it has a minimal amount of performance mods but I can tell that the prior owners (2) were enthusiasts. It's set up to look good, but definitely not perform at peak. I know it is tuned from Visconti via ecutek and I know that it has a downpipe (catless I think) and I know he has the ethanol monitor in it. It has M&S coils on it that I have adjusted to a height that doesn't bottom out the suspension in corners. Even at tuning stage 1, it has a lot of power. I am a very experienced driver with 1k+ laps on tracks across the country (mostly east coast) and with multiple organizations. That being said, I have zero experience with THIS car and am trying to know what I don't know, especially Bimmercode-type stuff that may or may not be turned off and I don't know it.

Here's my question: I've had my back end kick out on me a few times in very similar situations to this. Thankfully I've always been able to catch it and move on safely, but is the traction control in this car really so insensitive that it will allow this to happen when it's off? I ask because I see no indication inside my car that the traction control is off, but I'm always genuinely surprised when the car allows me to overpower the wheels so easily.

Is there anything I'm missing? I don't want to end up a meme :)

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Serious question from a new Supra owner here, relevant to this topic:

I bought the car in November and it has a minimal amount of performance mods but I can tell that the prior owners (2) were enthusiasts. It's set up to look good, but definitely not perform at peak. I know it is tuned from Visconti via ecutek and I know that it has a downpipe (catless I think) and I know he has the ethanol monitor in it. It has M&S coils on it that I have adjusted to a height that doesn't bottom out the suspension in corners. Even at tuning stage 1, it has a lot of power. I am a very experienced driver with 1k+ laps on tracks across the country (mostly east coast) and with multiple organizations. That being said, I have zero experience with THIS car and am trying to know what I don't know, especially Bimmercode-type stuff that may or may not be turned off and I don't know it.

Here's my question: I've had my back end kick out on me a few times in very similar situations to this. Thankfully I've always been able to catch it and move on safely, but is the traction control in this car really so insensitive that it will allow this to happen when it's off? I ask because I see no indication inside my car that the traction control is off, but I'm always genuinely surprised when the car allows me to overpower the wheels so easily.

Is there anything I'm missing? I don't want to end up a meme :)
If you're on stock tires with TC on. Rear will kick out even at stock power. If it's been tuned even high chances it will.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
He was trying too hard to impress the crowd on the bridge!
This is a big part of why I donā€™t frequent my local cars and coffee very often. Thereā€™s no shortage of idiots hooning as they leave just to impress a gaggle of 16 year olds with their phones out. Before we know it both participants and spectators will be wearing Apple Vision Pro headsets so things can get reeeaaaaal dumb.

Iā€™ll just continue to drive my Supra like an old man in meatspace, and leave the crashing to bouts in GT7.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Theres the *Full* video. So you speculators can have a new viewpoint.

Its harder than in real life since you can't feel the slide with your ass.

You are just working with less driver information. Also, if you were in a racecar, they are definitely trickier than a road car to catch a slide.

You do have to be quick with your corrections. That's why it needs to be muscle memory, and not something you think about
This is the type of reactions you need if you are trying to show off. I showed this to my son when he was learning to drive so he could get an idea of the reactions you need esp in the wet when a car gets sideways. Stuff happens very fast esp on a heavy RWD road car and you need cat like reactions to keep on top of them. Kenny Brack is a pro and obviously highly practiced, you are neither of those things so best to not go there on the streets, was my advice to him. The track is the place to play. Still my favourite video.

Lonestar_Nomad

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ā€˜23 GR Supra Premium MT
I must have been out of the car scene when the attitude of ā€œyouā€™re garbage and deserve everything badā€ became prevalent. Itā€™s probably just my time of the month, but a bunch of yā€™all sure come off as pretentious know it alls when this stuff happens, like your shit never stank, doing donuts in the high school parking lot in daddies car.

ā€œWell you see, my fellow professional race car drivers, if he would have applied 17.5% throttle, with 3 degrees of wheel rotation šŸ¤“ā˜ā€

Teleguy11

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
It will be two weeks until we have a true answer to what happened.

I grew up in the era before any safety aides. Iā€™ve also always had fast cars. When I was young and dumb, TCS was off and there was no stability control.

now as a much older adult, I leave my stability control turned on always, and traction control off so I can play a little but stay drawing between the lines and not crash my cars.

Stability fully off only for when Iā€™m purposely and safely doing some slidey stuff whipping shitties and such, but generally on. I can handle the slide, but Iā€™m less willing to beat in the car especially w/ the price of tires

Shits a lot more expensive and Iā€™m 20 years closer to the grave and want my shiny shit to stay nice and shiny. Now I totally get why I only remember my dad doing one burnout ever in his ā€˜55 Bel-Air ever. You appreciate the value of your stuff the older you get and donā€™t need to prove crap by driving like a moron at every chance.
Amen brother! I get it as I'm now 61 yo. :doh:
Sponsored