DAMN! now what!

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
Try to do a simple oil change. Pull in off the engine cover and the back left boss broke on the what appears to be a cam cover!!

it’s barely holding on. Does this open up to the engine?!

what do I do now? Try to glue it? With what. Not sure this would be covered by warranty!

Damn; damn, damn!!

FE37D86B-146E-4E97-A47E-2019FF8C5F68.jpeg
Sponsored

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
I mean real talk, start the car see if oil sprays out. Only way to tell how big of a problem you have on your hands.

Toshi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Nitro Yellow
Damn o_O all you did was pull the plastic engine cover off and it did that damage? Most certainly a warranty issue!

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I would not start a car and risk oil everywhere or internal damage. Have it taken to the dealer if you cannot determine the potential for damage.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I didn’t want to start the car because if oil came out then I would never be able to clean it properly if I wanted to use a plastic adhesive.

I did watch an engine tear down on YT and it looks like it opens to the engine.

As for warranty, it was partially my fault I didn’t lift the cover up evenly and it torqued that plastic boss and broke it. But I wasn’t being ham fisted about it either.

I bought some JB weld plastic structural 2 part epoxy, squished it into the open joint enough to get on the exposed cracked surface covered then liberally applied to the top of cover, over the cracked seam to the edges around.
I also put some on some spare plastic parts I have lying around to see how strong the bond will be. Long story short, It’s VERY strong. There doesn’t appear to be any load on the boss other than the cover and any expansion and contraction of the valve cover itself when the engine cycles. I will call the worthless dealer Monday to discuss with them but I should be able to drive at least.

Is there any pressure under the valve cover during boost? That’s the only other thing I can think of that might hinder the longevity of the patch.

I just don’t trust the Toyota dealership to do the work.
The Valve Cover is like $260, not too bad but I’m sure there will need to be abou 3 hours of labor to replace it, so figure another $400. It looks simple enough so I may do it myself.

All because a $1 part failed. Jeeesh.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I didn’t want to start the car because if oil came out then I would never be able to clean it properly if I wanted to use a plastic adhesive.

I did watch an engine tear down on YT and it looks like it opens to the engine.

As for warranty, it was partially my fault I didn’t lift the cover up evenly and it torqued that plastic boss and broke it. But I wasn’t being ham fisted about it either.

I bought some JB weld plastic structural 2 part epoxy, squished it into the open joint enough to get on the exposed cracked surface covered then liberally applied to the top of cover, over the cracked seam to the edges around.
I also put some on some spare plastic parts I have lying around to see how strong the bond will be. Long story short, It’s VERY strong. There doesn’t appear to be any load on the boss other than the cover and any expansion and contraction of the valve cover itself when the engine cycles. I will call the worthless dealer Monday to discuss with them but I should be able to drive at least.

Is there any pressure under the valve cover during boost? That’s the only other thing I can think of that might hinder the longevity of the patch.

I just don’t trust the Toyota dealership to do the work.
The Valve Cover is like $260, not too bad but I’m sure there will need to be abou 3 hours of labor to replace it, so figure another $400. It looks simple enough so I may do it myself.

All because a $1 part failed. Jeeesh.
I would have insurance towed that shit down to the dealer though.. Pulling off the engine cover shouldn't broken anything unless you really really did something gnarly. Now that it's JB welded it's definitely not a warranty part. Ah well.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
If you attempt to try to fix it via glue … it will then become your fault and total expense.

Let the dealer take care of it… explain you pulled the cover off and the part failed. This way they will warranty it and make the necessary repairs.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My work schedule is such I don’t have time to wait on the dealership here to get their act together. They just don’t understand the car. I’d rather pay for the repair at the good BMW dealership we have than risk the Toyota.
That being said, I did try to fix it with epoxy, but I’m not sure why that would invalidate the warranty work since pulling the valve cover would show on the underside where the crack was. If the fix were to cause further unforeseen issues I guess I could see how that might put me at risk. I just need to get the car to either the Toyota dealer if I’m going to claim warranty or to the BMW dealer if I’m going to pay for the repair myself. The current “fix” just gives me the latitude to bring thr car in on my schedule.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
My work schedule is such I don’t have time to wait on the dealership here to get their act together. They just don’t understand the car. I’d rather pay for the repair at the good BMW dealership we have than risk the Toyota.
That being said, I did try to fix it with epoxy, but I’m not sure why that would invalidate the warranty work since pulling the valve cover would show on the underside where the crack was. If the fix were to cause further unforeseen issues I guess I could see how that might put me at risk. I just need to get the car to either the Toyota dealer if I’m going to claim warranty or to the BMW dealer if I’m going to pay for the repair myself. The current “fix” just gives me the latitude to bring thr car in on my schedule.
If you have pressure there it would be from blow by.

Only problem I see that could cause issues down the line is if your repair isn't fully sealed and allows dirt into your engine.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Definitely no chance of not being fully sealed, I went liberally over the crack and overall surface beyond the crack. If I knew the glued piece of plastic would hold indefinitely, which it may, there would be no further reason to worry about it.

That being said, the worse thing that can happen is they deny my warranty because I tried to fix it, but the reality is the part would need to be replaced no matter what since the there is no fix available other than full replacement of the valve cover. That’s why I’m not sure how me trying to fix it so I could drive to the dealer would invalidate my warranty.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
The amount of plastic under the hood of this car drives me f'n insane