Dang near killed myself!

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Tough crowd... a lot of insecure dudes here IMO trying to "alpha" and belittle someone that has humbly asked a driving question, and clearly stated in OP that he's not driving crazy and was doing a test with the stability controls and bravely shared his mishap.
Sponsored

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Tough crowd... a lot of insecure dudes here IMO trying to "alpha" and belittle someone that has humbly asked a driving question, and clearly stated in OP that he's not driving crazy and was doing a test with the stability controls and bravely shared his mishap.
Tough love.

Phil

BrettMRC

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, Defender, Rx400h
It has to be said the stock setup does feel overly twitchy if the road surface isn't spot on.

Maybe it was designed like a 5th gen fighter plane: dynamically unstable to enable greater agility? :spaz:

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Oh good lord! Iā€™ve been driving high performance cars for 30 years, you can drop the ā€œdriver modā€nonsense. Everybody knows this car is tail happy and has the potential of bump steer. The car was maybe at 7/10th with a smooth throttle and no jerkiness, no other car Iā€™ve ever had has exhibited this tendency.

Edit: wait not entirely true, my ā€˜86 911 went tail happy under braking in the rain- but engine in the rear and all that.
Genuinely not trying to be a jerk about it. I haven't pushed my car to the limits on the street either since I haven't had it on the track. I'm not sure what you expect throttling into a corner in a powerful short-wheelbase RWD car.

As others have said, it's possible that your alignment is out too.

Tomm63

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus RX350, KIA Sportage, Chevy Avalance, Supra
So I usually drive around with all the nannies on. When I take long sweeping turns every now and and gently accelerate into the turn I can see the track to control kicking on. I know this means the rear end is slipping out, but this happens on rare occasions, and the nanny always catches it.

Today I turned off the traction control off with one click. I was was going around the corner like usual, but this time when it slipped it damn near spin me around and got all out of control! Luckily, it finally caught itself and I straightened out, but scared the hell out of me.

I have a 2020, what is the best solution for reducing the tail happiness of this car without major suspension modifications?

currently, Iā€™m on H&R lowering springs (Z4)with 265 front and 295 back tires
Supra has an Easter Egg mode. It's called drift mode. I found it while entering the freeway on a circle ramp. Fido had stepped on the traction control button turning it off and just like that you go sideways. Makes your heart rate increase for sure.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I have a 2020, what is the best solution for reducing the tail happiness of this car without major suspension modifications?
Work harder and buy a 2023

:stirthepot:

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Glad you are ok! Happens to everyone.

The torque comes on low so its hard to get on it coming out of a corner versus a naturally aspirated car where you can roll onto the throttle and let the power build as you come out of the corner. The short wheelbase really wants to allow the car to rotate as well.

I drive on the street when its warm out with traction control off - its a summer and maybe fall car for me here in the midwest.

When I was still trying to understand how the car behaved I was by myself on a wide road with T/C off and punched it while at 45mph in Automatic mode and it downshifted and the whole car basically shifted itself to the left and wanted to rotate while on 50 degree day with cold tires.

As others have stated check your alignment and maybe look into some new tires depending on how heat cycled and worn your rear tires are :)

The things we go through, we grow through.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
Oh good lord! Iā€™ve been driving high performance cars for 30 years, you can drop the ā€œdriver modā€nonsense.
I too have had a good amount of performance cars and I do the same thing with each one bcuz theyā€™re all different. Go to a big parking lot, turn the traction control all the way off and push your car to any limit you need to feel comfortable with. Iā€™ll drift it, do donuts, do sharp controlled turns sideways etcā€¦this helps me at leastā€¦

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
I agree with what most are saying here. In my experience, every car is different and you need to learn how to control the throttle. This is my first turbo car and it behaves differently than the naturally aspirated V8s I'm used to driving. When that light comes on, you're at the limit...if you drive at that limit and rarely see it, then you're controlling the throttle well. If you're an excellent driver and know the car well, then you may reach a point where the stability control system can be a limiting factor for weight transfer and overall speed.

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
Don't accelerate into a turn. You accelerate to power out of a turn as you need less grip for the cornering at that point. This applies to any car. You have to balance your available traction between cornering and acceleration. If you're already near the limit of traction from cornering then trying to accelerate will push you over the edge.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
So all stirring aside what we have is a car that's more than happy to "steer on the throttle" BUT has selectable electronic assistance to negate that aspect of it's character for or if you dont want it. I'd say that's a win win. Better than a car that won't or is reluctant to steer on the throttle. How people raced RWD cars with an open diff is beyond me.

Phil

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Go to some autocrosses and practice getting the car sideways with all the nannies off where the only things you can hit are a few cones. It's easy to get a Supra sideways, and so much fun.
Totally agree with this one. Even if you do HPDE (or plan to), autox is a must in this car. You can do things that will get you black flagged at most track days and really learn the limits well. And itā€™s a bloody fast autocrossing platform, even stock!

Sub-MkV

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
This was my alignment after some springs installed. I'm glad I got the alignment because the before was really really bad. At 140 mph in my car it feels stable AF!
IMG_20230809_023336.jpg

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
When your turn, you want friction to the front wheels / steering rack. You have to brake in over to get it there.

Canā€™t shift weight on the rear tires via acceleration while turning.. you ran out of available friction causing under steer.
Sponsored