decodeddiesel's 2020 A90 DD to weekend fun car journey

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I‘m so jealous of y’all’s weather and ability to track this time of year! Can’t wait to be a snow ❄ bird 🐦 someday & join ya (have you both flying ✈ by me 🏁🏁). Wes, I’d pay for one of those track photo Bryan and your other friend got. I’d put one of those in my den and garage so fast!!!

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
I‘m so jealous of y’all’s weather and ability to track this time of year! Can’t wait to be a snow ❄ bird 🐦 someday & join ya (have you both flying ✈ by me 🏁🏁). Wes, I’d pay for one of those track photo Bryan and your other friend got. I’d put one of those in my den and garage so fast!!!
It would be awesome to meet you at a track up here Mark!

I'd love to get to Sebring, but realistically I'd need to tow my Supra in my non-existent pick-up truck and closed trailer. 🤣🤣🤣

I'm hoping that if things go well at Watkins Glen I can push my wife towards buying a Tundra and a trailer. May sell my Cayman to help fund it. Towing the Supra would make these road trips to tracks way more realistic and give me a good winter driver.

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Good day today. Wasn't setting a PB by any stretch, but it was great seeing @razorlab and @garudathree at LRP today.

Actually was on track with a Lambo today (he was scared to push it in all honesty)

PXL_20230812_181355060.jpg

PXL_20230812_181344947.jpg

Also came home to this!

16918795995145450356467843439276.jpg

ETA: More crappy cell phone pics!

PXL_20230812_181648414.jpg

I call this one "Ode to the oil starved M96"

PXL_20230812_141644208.jpg

This guy showed up in a General Lee, ran one session, then left:

PXL_20230812_144555780.jpg

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Good day today. Wasn't setting a PB by any stretch, but it was great seeing @razorlab and @garudathree at LRP today.

Actually was on track with a Lambo today (he was scared to push it in all honesty)

PXL_20230812_181355060.jpg
You keep running with that particular Supra crowd and you’re gonna get faster real quick! I kept riding and driving w/ some pro racing buddies (I was slow as 💩). Then when I came back to the real world, it was shocking!

That track and background is beautiful dude 😍 Throw in an Alpha Romeo, MX5 (it looks like mine lol), older BMWs, what more could you possibly ask for?

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You keep running with that particular Supra crowd and you’re gonna get faster real quick! I kept riding and driving w/ some pro racing buddies (I was slow as 💩). Then when I came back to the real world, it was shocking!

That track and background is beautiful dude 😍 Throw in an Alpha Romeo, MX5 (it looks like mine lol), older BMWs, what more could you possibly ask for?
There was some serious hardware that I neglected to photograph. An older Z4 GTR (full blown IMSA car), some sort of race car Ferrari and pretty much every Porsche you can think of.

I also saw an Autozam AZ-1!

I took a ride in my favorite instructors fully prepped 80's CRX Si. He runs it in an endurance race with his adult son. That was an eye opener!

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There was some serious hardware that I neglected to photograph. An older Z4 GTR (full blown IMSA car), some sort of race car Ferrari and pretty much every Porsche you can think of.

I also saw an Autozam AZ-1!

I took a ride in my favorite instructors fully prepped 80's CRX Si. He runs it in an endurance race with his adult son. That was an eye opener!
Yeah, enough can’t be said about a HPDE track day experience. Cars n coffee on steroid for sure!! Just having fun w/ others that enjoy cars as much as we do 💃 🪩 🕺

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I need a real lap timer. I've been using a cheap, but not free timer on my phone. It's been decent, but this was what I got for my sessions 3 and 4 on Saturday:

Screenshot_20230814-070640.png

Screenshot_20230814-070657.png

I thought something was up when it was telling me I was doing so few laps per session. Turns out it was double, triple, or quadruple counting my laps.

I want a Garmin, but $1000 is so much damn money.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
If serious either an AIM or Garmin is really the only way to go.
I went almost a whole season without a timer and just seat of pants feel. Got occasional positive feedback from Time trials where i had to have a real transponder.

Had Harrys on my iphone for a while and it was good until it just couldn't do VIR for some reason which was disappointing. It would also glitch on a smaller Summit course.

I am as cheap as any track guy and I broke down for the Garmin.

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If serious either an AIM or Garmin is really the only way to go.
I went almost a whole season without a timer and just seat of pants feel. Got occasional positive feedback from Time trials where i had to have a real transponder.

Had Harrys on my iphone for a while and it was good until it just couldn't do VIR for some reason which was disappointing. It would also glitch on a smaller Summit course.

I am as cheap as any track guy and I broke down for the Garmin.
Yeah, it just means less seat time.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I need a real lap timer. I've been using a cheap, but not free timer on my phone. It's been decent, but this was what I got for my sessions 3 and 4 on Saturday:

Screenshot_20230814-070640.png

Screenshot_20230814-070657.png

I thought something was up when it was telling me I was doing so few laps per session. Turns out it was double, triple, or quadruple counting my laps.

I want a Garmin, but $1000 is so much damn money.
Are you using an external GPS? The 10hz ones make a big difference. I think @garudathree is using that same app but with an external GPS unit

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Are you using an external GPS? The 10hz ones make a big difference. I think @garudathree is using that same app but with an external GPS unit
I'm just using the built in GPS on my phone. I never even thought to do an external GPS antenna. That would probably help out a lot.

Do you think it's worth it to get the GPS antenna, or just buy once cry once and get the Garmin?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I'm just using the built in GPS on my phone. I never even thought to do an external GPS antenna. That would probably help out a lot.

Do you think it's worth it to get the GPS antenna, or just buy once cry once and get the Garmin?
The GPS unit is significantly cheaper. This is what I used and now what @garudathree uses, since I gave it to him :)

https://a.co/d/gFPiCaB

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
yeah the xgps160 is way better than the built in 1 hz gps on the phone. i'm actually gonna borrow a friend's garmin setup for a bit to see how it compares, since i still have some gps speed issues in the downhill and uphill. racechrono is best of the bunch for phone apps though.
Sponsored