Did anyone cross-shop the Supra against BMWs?

kossos

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 BMW M4
I'm currently driving an M4 and looking to move into either an M2, M240i xDrive, or 2021 Supra.

Looking for something smaller/sportier because I'm going to be getting into solo autocross. I love the B58 and how it makes power. My buddy has a 340i and our X5 has the B58 in it as well. Definitely would get the the 2021 for the M40i engine.

I have modded my M4 and it's currently running a Stage 2 93oct BM3 tune and I plan on doing the same thing with my next car.

Did anyone move from or cross-shop any of these cars into a Supra and what were your thoughts/impressions?
Sponsored

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I did with the M2 but ended up with the Supra. Everyone has a BMW in my town and the Supra looked way better in person than in online photos initially.

If your plan is to autocross then the Supra is an amazing deal and you just need to get it. Just stop everything you're doing and just drive it.

All the reviews say the Supra is what the old BMWs M cars used to feel like (sportier). Once you drive it on the track it becomes more obvious its a better BMW (which is awkward to say). If you prefer luxury or 4 seats then sticking with BMW makes more sense as the interior for the Supra feels like half of a BMW (only the good features required features are still in the supra)

Last edited:
OP
OP
kossos

kossos

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 BMW M4
I did with the M2 but ended up with the Supra. Everyone has a BMW in my town and the Supra looked way better in person than in online photos initially.

If your plan is to autocross then the Supra is an amazing deal and you just need to get it. Just stop everything you're doing and just drive it.

All the reviews say the Supra is what the old BMWs M cars used to feel like (sportier). Once you drive it on the track it becomes more obvious its a better BMW (which is awkward to say). If you prefer luxury or 4 seats then sticking with BMW makes more sense as the interior for the Supra has half the BMW features (only the good parts)
That's great to hear. Hows the ZF transmission on the track? I've heard great things about it.

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
That's great to hear. Hows the ZF transmission on the track? I've heard great things about it.
trust me just drive the Supra and that will answer all your questions

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
I had an M4 with a DCT a long time ago that I kind of forgot what the transmission felt like. I had an M2C (manual) and was looking into a different car. The Supra was the main competitor but before I drove the Supra I went to the BMW dealer to drive an M3 with DCT and it was good....a little sluggish but good from what I remembered the M4 was like.

Went to drive the Supra and was surprised that the ZF felt better! Upshifts were just as responsive as the DCT's and the downshifts were just as engaging as Toyota has put some "omph" tuning so its not a buttery smooth downshift but actually gives you some fun feedback (weird way of complimenting it but the added "oomph" was very nice to keep from it feeling boring)

I enjoyed my M2C but I think i've been spoiled...the Manual transmission in Porches are just leagues better then BMW's. It might be the S55 produces so much torque at such a low rpm but you would really have to slip the clutch a bit inbetween gears to get a satisfying smooth upshift and it just dulled the fun a bit for me

Supra on the street handles just as well as the GT4 did. I would imagine once you get on track and really start pushing it the differences would become more apparent but on the streets and canyons the Supra to me handles just as well as the GT4 and better then the M2C/M4/M3

Cybermoose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium, 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe, 2015 Kia Soul +
Yeah, I looked at the M240i/M2, along with the M3 and G20 M340i (I very much thought I was going to get a 4dr car - also looked at the S4 and Alfa Quadrifoglio). Coming from an E92, what really made up my mind was I wanted more than just an incremental evolution of the N54/N55/S55, since I had/have one already, so that cut out the M2/M3.

Then it got simpler between the Supra and M240i. Easy call at that point, because there's literally no M240i's in my area. Even now there's only 3 in 100mi and one's a convertible. Plus, the Supra nameplate has always been alluring to me, and I actually love the styling. Got a great deal on it, too, which helped.

ItzMatt

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, 91 R32 GTR, 89 240SX
I used to work at BMW of Honolulu and drove BMW's all day, when the Z4 M40i and M340 were released I drove both of those cars. They are great cars, and were smooth to drive. When the Supra was released I had the opportunity to test drive one and fell in love and purchased one for myself. IMHO the Supra had more of an aggressive Exhaust note and suspension handled a lot better. Meanwhile the BMW counterparts were to smooth and quiet and simulated.

Hakkim23

First Name
Basith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2002 Toyota Camry
I would definitely say the Supra
It is an amazing sports car a good balance between performance and comfort

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Drove the M2C, bough the Supra. I didn't like the steering feedback and the DCT. While great when you're banging gears, it was clunky and slow to shift in normal everyday driving. I knew I'd wind up driving it with the paddles all the time. Not a big deal but I preferred the trans. in the Supra. It's a better all around driver. Supra just felt more involving to drive to me and I also like the way it feels wrapped around you. The M2C just feels like a small car.

RichSC

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra #86, 2018 Raptor
Not at all. I knew the Supra was the car I wanted and once I drove it, was sure of my decision. On track handling was great and I think the engine/trans work very well together in that environment. Same for street and canyon driving. Trans seems to always put itself right into the proper range that I'd want it in if I had full control with a manual.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Not at all. I knew the Supra was the car I wanted and once I drove it, was sure of my decision. On track handling was great and I think the engine/trans work very well together in that environment. Same for street and canyon driving. Trans seems to always put itself right into the proper range that I'd want it in if I had full control with a manual.
Exactly on the transmission. It's always where it needs to be. I swear it's telepathic.....in fact I don't even bother with the paddle shifters it's that good.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
I have a 2020 M2C with 6-spd manual and love it. I would be driving a Supra if it had a manual transmission, and that is a deal breaker for me. I have the B58/ZF8 in another BMW and it's quite good -- best automatic I've driven -- but it's absolutely not as good as a DCT and is not a substitute if you're a sports car purist who likes manual transmissions.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
It might be the S55 produces so much torque at such a low rpm but you would really have to slip the clutch a bit inbetween gears to get a satisfying smooth upshift and it just dulled the fun a bit for me
Did you ever try to disable the rev matching on upshifts? Most people don't know that the car rev matches upshifts (subtle) in addition to downshifts (obvious). That can affect the perceived shift smoothness if you are not hip to it. Like many other M cars, there is a big gap between 1-2 ratios so that shift can seem odd unless you are gaming it right (which does not involve slipping the clutch).

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
Did you ever try to disable the rev matching on upshifts? Most people don't know that the car rev matches upshifts (subtle) in addition to downshifts (obvious). That can affect the perceived shift smoothness if you are not hip to it. Like many other M cars, there is a big gap between 1-2 ratios so that shift can seem odd unless you are gaming it right (which does not involve slipping the clutch).
I was aware of the upshift matching due to that valve removal thread over on bimmerpost. I never tried shifting the car with everything turned off though as I thoroughly enjoyed the rev matching downshifts during canyon and daily driving.
Sponsored