andrewtrxnn

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Toyota Supra 3.0
Hey,

I own an A90 Supra, I'm looking into modifying my car.

Here are some of the mods that I have bought this week and waiting for them to arrive to install

- Maxton Front Splitter
- Maxton Rear Spoiler
- Megan Catless Downpipes
- Megan 02 Sensors Check Engine Light Fix ( So there's no need for flashing automatically )
- CTS Turbo Intake

I'm looking to do a tune, I haven't decided if I wanted a flash tune or a piggyback. I'm looking at BootMod3 or a JB4. I'm 17 and pay for my own car which probably isn't the best financial decision but I did it anyway luckily being able to afford it with my current job. I have to pay for insurance and the car itself as most people do. I try to stay self-dependent on my own and don't want my parents to be affected (borrowing money etc). I am leasing the car so I'm worried about the warranty. I read there is a law in place in which they can't void your warranty for having aftermarket upgrades unless they can prove that the part that is installed directly influenced what has "broken down" in the vehicle. I'd like to be informed more about the effects and causes of installing aftermarket parts. I understand some risk, I am hoping that my warranty won't be voided due to having catless downpipes and cold air intake, as I would need no flash for them. I daily drive my vehicle as well having about 3000-4000 miles on the dash from my purchase date of August 26th (80 miles on the dash at the start). Can someone inform me about how the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act works? Aswell, will my warranty be void for my modifications? As I don't want to pay out of pocket for repairs unless my mods "damaged" the vehicle which then I understand and accept responsibility.

Moving onto the Flash/Piggyback questions. If my DME is locked which I haven't checked or figured out yet, and I purchase a Piggyback tune. Would my DME being locked effect if I'm able to use the Piggyback? I know for a flash tune I would have to get my DME unlocked, but would it for a DME? I also know that there is a risk of tampering with the ECU and upping boost etc... in which the dealer would know in which then It could void my warranty. Is it the same risk if I flash the car or less? Would they really look into it, especially since I will be having catless downpipes? Also is there any harm in installing a piggyback if everything is mostly stock besides a downpipe and intake? Would I need to upgrade cooling? I've always been into cars and fortunately, my first car was a supra. Any advice and answers would be helpful. Thanks!
Sponsored

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
Couple things, that no CEL fix is not gonna work and you will get a CEL
2nd that intake is not the best tbh, doesn't really fit etc
Regarding warranty any dealer at any time can void your stuff no matter what, depends on the dealer and the people if they are mod friendly

Zero

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 89 Supra
As ultimateone said that CEL fix will likely not work, also I see you live in California which having a catless dp is probably not a good idea. As for warranty it is all dependent on the dealer, yes normally it should not be voided unless the modification directly effected the failing of something but the dealer will find any reason to decline your warranty.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Many tuners suggest not much difference between catted vs catless. You're in CA, there is no way you'll pass emissions with catless, so spend few more hundred at get hi-flow catted. There are few that don't throw CEL. Check out the forums...

Follow what people are doing on the forums/FB, mimic those proven ones. Don't go overboard with boost if you don't want things going extremely awry. Obviously if you blow something up, that's more expense for you as insurance won't cover it and neither will the warranty...

Example:

Catted - 297hp 345tq
Catless - 297hp 349tq

OP
OP
andrewtrxnn

andrewtrxnn

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Toyota Supra 3.0
Couple things, that no CEL fix is not gonna work and you will get a CEL
2nd that intake is not the best tbh, doesn't really fit etc
Regarding warranty any dealer at any time can void your stuff no matter what, depends on the dealer and the people if they are mod friendly
Is there a reason why the no CEL FIX won’t work? i’ve seen a couple people use it on there vehicles in which it won’t throw up a code. is there another no CEL FIX part that won’t throw up a code?

Zero

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 89 Supra
I have not seen a spacer or mini cat that has successfully kept the CEL off for this car, as far as I know a tune or a good catted dp will fix it.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
I have not seen a spacer or mini cat that has successfully kept the CEL off for this car, as far as I know a tune or a good catted dp will fix it.
I have a CG Precision catted downpipe. It uses a larger cat than most of the others. It probably makes within 10 hp of catless and no CEL.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
Some dealers will not even work on a catless car since removing the cat is a federal crime.

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
As others have stated, that CEL fix is going to be a dud and not fix your light. Unfortunately, the piggyback wont resolve this either. You will need a flash tune.

A piggyback wont matter if the DME is locked or not. It does matter for a flash tune and we would need to unlock it for you, which isnt an issue at all and very simple. Anytime you modify the car, you risk voiding your warranty.

If youd like some more details or have any questions, feel free to reach out and ill be happy to help.

[email protected] - Email
252-314-5604 - Text Message

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Did you get the CTS intake? How do you like it?
Sponsored