Drive Assist Package - worth it?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I'm pretty sure all Australian Supras get the safety pack as standard.

I hate lane assist with a passion. It's the first thing I turn off in every car I drive but especially this one as I want to do the driving. And I guess I just find it unnerving that the car wants to take control. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

All the other safety features are great, especially the blind spot monitoring - the whole damned car is a blind spot lol.
I guess I've never had issues. Even when I have it on max if I drift out of the lane not hard for me to force it into the other lane.
Sponsored

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
No. You get in the left lane and pass them. I also never use the adaptive cruise. Now, I would use it if I were on a long two lane trip but for me those are extremely rare. Iā€™m either in town or in an interstate. Adaptive cruise is a pain in the ass on interstates unless you eventually want to be stuck following a semi or RV going 5 under rather than pass them???

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I agree it's worth it. I turn everything on low settings. One feature that I don't like is the automatic braking when reversing. That is turned off.
I had to turn that off as well. Got tired of the car slamming on the brakes just trying to back out of my garageā€¦

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I'm probably in the minority here, but I just don't like adaptive cruise control so I wish I could turn off the "adaptive" part. I also turned off lane assist.
You can. Just hold down the button for a few seconds and it activates constant speed mode.

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
if your supra is your daily driver, then you may want to consider it. if not, don' t bother.

the supra's driver assist package is pretty old compared to current bmw's offering. many cars offer better implementation of their own drive assist package.

Diversion

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Phantom GR Supra
I wish blind spot was a standard feature on the Supra but it requires the entire "Driving assist package".. And it's the only feature I actually care and use on the car because of how hard it is to see over your shoulder.. otherwise I turned off lane keeping and probably will never use radar cruise.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
Iā€™ll add one more thing no one has mentioned... the parking sensors can pick up curb stones in front of the car so you donā€™t crush the front lip.
Do NOT blindly rely on this, it often does not pick up the curb. Sometimes it does, but at least around where I live, it only seems to pick it up like half the time. If I relied on this feature, I'd probably have destroyed the front lip by now. Wish the car had a front parking camera.

Regarding the other features, radar cruiser control is nice for highway driving (especially single lane where you're just following unless you pass). Lane departure is OK but I only use it in vibrate and even then it is questionable.

Blind spot monitors are helpful given the visibility in the car. That said, I still usually check my blind spots manually (over the shoulder). This also might not matter to countries who get actual good side mirrors instead of the shit US ones.

The parking sensors are helpful for me at home, but my parking situation is slightly unique: basically think 2 gar garage with similar width driveway, the driveway is a bit over 1 car long and curved. We park the other car outside usually taking up half the driveway. So parking is basically backing up the curved driveway past the other car and into the garage. It isn't rocket science but having the parking sensors makes it so much easier. It truly feels like luxury compared to when I used to do it with my old 370Z which didn't even have a backup cam lol.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I wish blind spot was a standard feature on the Supra but it requires the entire "Driving assist package".. And it's the only feature I actually care and use on the car because of how hard it is to see over your shoulder.. otherwise I turned off lane keeping and probably will never use radar cruise.
Yea agree with this - it should be standard. I tend to still do over the shoulder checks, but I can only see a tiny bit out of the passenger porthole (enough to tell if there is a car there) and if I have a passenger then I can't see jack shit.
Sponsored