Driver assist functions don’t appear to be working

Zenkuto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium (AZ)
Most of my cars were Lexuses(Lexi?) and the rear traffic alerts were pretty straight forward. Any car, or pedestrians, coming towards me while I’m backing out, would give me a clear alert.

Since I started daily driving the Supra, 3500 miles in, I have yet to see/hear the cross traffic alerts whilst backing out a parking spot and once almost reversed into a pedestrian behind me.

Just wondering if something’s wrong, or is the bmw system just so sophisticated that it only alerts when absolutely necessary?
I did some stuff in BimmerCode. Could it somehow have messed up some other systems?

Also, I haven’t experienced the emergency braking system while driving yet. I’ve gotten the red car symbol on the HUD and loud beeps plenty of times, but never has it braked for me. And there have been some close calls. Only times I’ve had it emergency brake is when I’m backing into my garage and it detects the 1 inch ledge as an obstacle and scares the shit out of me….

Any insight would be appreciated
Sponsored

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
I’m curious about this also because my RCT alerts don’t appear to be working either but I have no codes or warnings. My sensors do beep if I get to close both front and back or sides

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition / 2018 4Runner TRD
I haven’t really noticed my RCT or emergency auto brake ever kicking on either, but I do my darnsest not to drive like an asshole.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
I wondered the same thing so I did a test. I had someone walk behind my car while in reverse and the brake applied. I found RCT uses the parking sensors and gives a visual alert on the screen, just as if backing up close to a curb or an object, and I heard a faint beep coming out of the speakers. The alert was adequate with the person about two or three feet behind the car. It didn’t detect anything at around five feet or greater. I imagine it would be the same with a moving vehicle. This is pretty much useless to me, especially compared to the radar system in my previous car, which would detect vehicles and pedestrians within a 10-foot radius.

I have auto-braking turned off so I can’t comment on that.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
I've had the emergency brake kick in when someone yeeted themself right in front of me on an off-ramp (luckily nobody was behind me to rear end me, and I was already slowing down for traffic). The parking brake was definitely on and I'm pretty sure the car was not in drive as well.

The guy who cut me off got plenty of the clown horn and some choice expletives for that stunt.

OP
OP
Zenkuto

Zenkuto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is pretty much useless to me, especially compared to the radar system in my previous car, which would detect vehicles and pedestrians within a 10-foot radius.
Yeah I feel like that kinda defeats the purpose if people/cars have to be within 5 feet of the car. I wonder how that would play out in a parking lot where some idiot is gassing it while you're backing out

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
I've had the emergency braking kick in a couple years ago (I've since disabled it because it's annoying), but I've never had the cross traffic alert pop up when backing out of a space and a car is zooming down the lane.

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
Mine has never worked the way I thought it would. My old 21 Accord Touring gave me a beeping and visual warning when there a person or car coming my way when I backed up. It saved me butt a few time by alerting me of a oncoming car. The Supra does none of that.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
My rear cross traffic alert has never alerted either. I’ve assumed something was wrong but have not fooled with it because I DO NOT want a dealership tech removing my rear bumper to diagnose or replace anything. I’m extremely OCD when it comes to panel gaps and alignment and I know it would not be the same. Now I’m wondering if the system just sucks.

Can any of you confirm the rcta actually does work for your cars? When does it alert? Similar to other cars you have? Our other vehicles (Toyota Venza, Chevy Malibu, Ford F-150) all have rcta and they all work quite well.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
This makes me happy because I thought mine was fucked up haha

topgear422

First Name
Aamir
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I've had the RCTA alert go off a few times, but like others have mentioned, the object/person has to be pretty close. The visual alert for it is basically the same as the parking sensors. I've had the automatic braking kick in numerous times since my parking garage is pretty narrow (apartment). When I back out of the garage, if the angle isn't "perfect", even though I can safely back out without hitting anything, the beeping is almost continuous and it'll kick in.

OP
OP
Zenkuto

Zenkuto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My rear cross traffic alert has never alerted either. I’ve assumed something was wrong but have not fooled with it because I DO NOT want a dealership tech removing my rear bumper to diagnose or replace anything. I’m extremely OCD when it comes to panel gaps and alignment and I know it would not be the same. Now I’m wondering if the system just sucks.

Can any of you confirm the rcta actually does work for your cars? When does it alert? Similar to other cars you have? Our other vehicles (Toyota Venza, Chevy Malibu, Ford F-150) all have rcta and they all work quite well.
I’m the same way. Sure, every dealership claims they have a “well-trained Supra Tech” but this is the same tech that told me to wait till 10k miles for an oil change. I’m hesitant to even bring my car for an oil change. Who knows what actually goes on behind the scenes and if they’re actually doing everything properly

OP
OP
Zenkuto

Zenkuto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This makes me happy because I thought mine was fucked up haha
Im surprised there aren’t more threads about this lol. Seems like everyone either doesn’t really care about it or just suffers silently haha
Sponsored