First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Hello all, I'm sure a lot of you already saw that ECUTEK is in BETA currently. So this thread im creating for a discussion where you can post questions, concerns, and anything under the sun in regards to Ecutek for your vehicle. I am an Ecutek Master Tuner, so i can help with whatever you need.

3DBox_BMW_B58_Supra_Beta.png

Ecutek Proecu for BMW B58 / Toyota Supra supports all worldwide vehicles fitted with the B58 B30 turbocharged engine, including:
  • 2019ā€“present G20 BMW 340i
  • 2019ā€“present G11 & G12 BMW 740i
  • 2019ā€“present G07 BMW X7 xDrive40i
  • 2019ā€“present G29 BMW Z4
  • 2019ā€“present G29 BMW Z4 M40i
  • 2019ā€“present B58 Toyota Supra MkV
More Infro and updates will be added here as they arrive.
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Now, I'm not too well versed with ECUTek beyond the 86/BRZ scene, but one thing they did have was on-the-fly map switching with the cruise control stalk, and Flex Fuel integrations, among other things. Will they be able to bring those features to the A90?

OP
OP
Twisted Tuning

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
Now, I'm not too well versed with ECUTek beyond the 86/BRZ scene, but one thing they did have was on-the-fly map switching with the cruise control stalk, and Flex Fuel integrations, among other things. Will they be able to bring those features to the A90?

That is on the table is should come with one of the first Racerom releases for the Supra as well. Just like they have on the F-series BMW market.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
That is on the table is should come with one of the first Racerom releases for the Supra as well. Just like they have on the F-series BMW market.
Any idea on the timeline for RaceRom for the A90?

OP
OP
Twisted Tuning

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra launch edition, 1993 rx7
Excited for more on this!!

OP
OP
Twisted Tuning

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
For someone who is used to the standalone world - what's the key differences between ECUTek tuning and something such as bootmod3?

:)

the main difference is cloud based versus not. Ecutek tech is dongle ID based which allows use anyway without internet. BM is cloud based so its heavily reliant on internet access.

Ecutek Has Racerom (once released) which generally includes factory ECU integration of Flex fuel, map switching and etc. Bootmod has none of that. MHD has flash options (similar to racerom once released).

On the surface all flashing platforms are editing the same map data. but where they go beyond the basic map data is where things get separated and etc. Ecutek and MHD are know for custom features not found in the Native code of the ECU. Bootmod is not. in the end, the custom features are whats going to set things apart.

OP
OP
Twisted Tuning

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Whatā€™s the cost of ECUTEK as a whole? Like if I wanted to purchase everything and get my car running tomorrow...

if I buy BM3, itā€™s $595 with base tune and license.

MHD seems to be the same as BM3, maybe a little less.

Ecutek is a whole new can of worms... it looks like around $700 for just the hardware and license, then another $400 for a tune since it doesnā€™t come with anything OTS? Even more for wireless adaptor to use with my phone.

Ecutek may indeed be a more open system, but for most of us guys BM3 and MHD seem to be a better option because of the base tune availability and being able to use it instantly and not schedule a tune. Until Ecutek adds race rom it doesnā€™t seem like the way to go.

Evo tuning was so much better. The programs were free and so was tephramod (aside from on the X). So we had to buy a tactrix cable and contact a tuner. It was $550 or so total, which is comparable to the $550 for accessport, BM3, etc. On top of this there was no BS locked maps or anything like that and you could always edit your map when changing hardware.

TLDR: Ecutek seems like a very expensive alternative, and without racerom present it doesnā€™t seem worth the additional costs and lost practicality. No wireless or phone support, (without spending MORE money for adaptors) no OTS maps to get you going and the option to protune later.

Twisted, youā€™re the only person with hands on time with all 3 of these. Iā€™m hoping youā€™ve got some insight that will prove me wrong. Iā€™ve been looking in and out at these alternatives and MHD is where I would be going -if- they had iPhone support. Ecutek would be where I was going -if- it was comparably priced and came with OTS options. Iā€™m left with BM3 as my only practical option and frankly, I havenā€™t been thrilled with the issues that are popping up for the users.

With all this said, stage 2 tunes look dang good at the time. Should someone with no intentions of ever going past downpipe and tune even consider Ecutek over the other options?

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
the main difference is cloud based versus not. Ecutek tech is dongle ID based which allows use anyway without internet. BM is cloud based so its heavily reliant on internet access.

Ecutek Has Racerom (once released) which generally includes factory ECU integration of Flex fuel, map switching and etc. Bootmod has none of that. MHD has flash options (similar to racerom once released).

On the surface all flashing platforms are editing the same map data. but where they go beyond the basic map data is where things get separated and etc. Ecutek and MHD are know for custom features not found in the Native code of the ECU. Bootmod is not. in the end, the custom features are whats going to set things apart.
:thumbsup:

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Iā€™ve read numerous similar responses, including that one. No one, including Ecutek, can guarantee we will get racerom ever, muchless any time soon.

So my question remains..... Without racerom and maybes, what makes ecutek worth double the cost of MHD and BM3? And what benefit would someone with downpipe only and no plans for further mods get from ecutek over the other options?

Not knocking the product at all, but it seems like as of now there are no benefits to using it over the others, especially considering the cost.

Nonetheless, I plan to go ecutek or MHD. I am just trying to find a good reason to go ecutek over MHD.

Last edited:

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Was the official Ecutek released yet? I thought its still in Beta stage.
I don't think Ecutek has been officially released yet...Master Tuners are still on beta...

I'm waiting until Ecutek officially releases with Racerom included and then will taking my Supra to an Ecutek Master Tuner for a dyno tune followed by a few street tune refinements...Personally, I've never been a fan of OTS tunes...
Sponsored