Extremely weird thing happened to My MT Supra

kingdooksdb

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Okay so I have noooooo idea how to explain what just happened while driving….. basically the stick itself detached from itself…. The top half I could literally pull up and if the clothe wasn’t sewn to it I could probably pull it completely off… I pushed it back into the housing and it set back in but idk if that fixed it and it’s done or this is a major issue
Sponsored

Isaleus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT , 2008 Orange GMC Canyon
Can you can replicate / repeat this same issue while parked? Seems really odd like they forgot a retaining screw or something of the likes.

OP
OP
kingdooksdb

kingdooksdb

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Can you can replicate / repeat this same issue while parked? Seems really odd like they forgot a retaining screw or something of the likes.
I have not attempted to replicate it I used my caveman strength to reseat it and called my local Toyota dealership to get it looked at… My only real concern is by forcing it back in am I doing any damage to the synchro’s

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
:postpics:

I'm curious. I don't get which part came off. Top knob usually requires many clockwise turns to be screwed on.
Cloth is in the middle, so to speak. Probably clips on.
I'm lost

OP
OP
kingdooksdb

kingdooksdb

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
:postpics:

I'm curious. I don't get which part came off. Top knob usually requires many clockwise turns to be screwed on.
Cloth is in the middle, so to speak. Probably clips on.
I'm lost
I honestly have noooo idea how to explain it clearly tbh the knob is attached to an elongated pole that seats into another housing/shaft that I assume leads into the gearbox well that top knob and pole detached from said shaft. I could literally pull and extend it up and down like the slide on a trombone, the only thing keeping me from completely pulling it off was the clothe

puppers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 A91-MT
I honestly have noooo idea how to explain it clearly tbh the knob is attached to an elongated pole that seats into another housing/shaft that I assume leads into the gearbox well that top knob and pole detached from said shaft. I could literally pull and extend it up and down like the slide on a trombone, the only thing keeping me from completely pulling it off was the clothe
Top video explains it perfectly! Nothing is wrong, just typical for a BMW knob as they're not threaded knobs :).

puppers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 A91-MT

Musa_Hanzo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Rockville, MD I Seoul, S. Korea I Yokohama, Japan
Car(s)
Toyota I Honda I Porsche
I don't know if its the same thing but mine popped out on the first day when I picked up the car. As I was turning the shift knob counter clockwise the rod inside the shift boot came off, having the shift knob still attached. Kinda like dislocated shoulder.

I basically pointed up the shaft and pushed it back in as i was turning it left to right then I heard a "click", as if its locked in place and never came off again.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
It's nothing to worry about, just pop it back on. Something tells me that the person at the factory didn't pound it on hard enough to begin with.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Ya this happens to me a few times a week it’ll end up Being a recall I think or service bulletin because it is supper annoying: at first just the knob within the boot would get loose but now the whole boot comes off exposing the metal shifter lol.
Sponsored