Failed emission test with code U0100, any ideas?

sbodnar

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2015 ML400, 2014 CLA, 2007 G35X
So I moved from Ohio to Mass and just went for the inspection test at a local Mass garage. The 2020 car has 7k miles on it. There is no CEL on, never had one. The guys at the garage said that a code U0100 is not particularly common. I have 60 days to figure this out under the rejection inspection sticker. They thought maybe gas cap related to the evaporative system. The evaporative system said not ready on the printout with the U0100 “OBD permanent fault code” (I ran the car for more than 15 mins to get to the garage).

I have the BM3 tune set to stock, an AFE catted downpipe, HKS air filter element and an aluminum air intake pipe. By the way, no codes on the BM3 when I checked.
It was never checked for Mass emissions because I was living in Ohio and no inspections were required in my county. It’s also never been to a dealer. Brake safety recall is not completed yet, maybe it’s time and they can check the code.

Thanks for any ideas!

FB8550A4-C2FE-4CEC-B2C1-9A2E72CEC905.jpeg
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
So I moved from Ohio to Mass and just went for the inspection test at a local Mass garage. The 2020 car has 7k miles on it. There is no CEL on, never had one. The guys at the garage said that a code U0100 is not particularly common. I have 60 days to figure this out under the rejection inspection sticker. They thought maybe gas cap related to the evaporative system. The evaporative system said not ready on the printout with the U0100 “OBD permanent fault code” (I ran the car for more than 15 mins to get to the garage).

I have the BM3 tune set to stock, an AFE catted downpipe, HKS air filter element and an aluminum air intake pipe. By the way, no codes on the BM3 when I checked.
It was never checked for Mass emissions because I was living in Ohio and no inspections were required in my county. It’s also never been to a dealer. Brake safety recall is not completed yet, maybe it’s time and they can check the code.

Thanks for any ideas!

FB8550A4-C2FE-4CEC-B2C1-9A2E72CEC905.jpeg
Dude's a tool, unless they have some goofy codes that overlap with the "standard" U0100 code.

His OBD tool was likely not seated all the way or something. That code is typically, "Lost communication with ECM."

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Agree with ZRK here. Go to a different independent inspection shop.

Also as an FYI, Bimmerlink and OBDLink MX+ will show you any codes, hidden or otherwise. Good way to empower yourself.

ImTired

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra, '87 GN
You're also missing the catalyst readiness monitor. I'm also in MA and had this issue last year when switching back to my stock downpipe with BM3 for inspection time.

When going to a Stage 2 93 tune, I turned off the CEL for the catalyst monitor in the tune config. It turns out, flashing the stock tune does not turn that monitor back on. I drove for weeks trying to get it to run through it's check, it would still say unsupported, like yours. What I needed to do was reflash one of the other tunes, making sure in the config I had CEL monitor set to OEM. Then I reflashed the stock tune.

That evap monitor is a pain too. It took a long time for me to hit that magic number of cold starts, miles at speed at certain temps, and whatever else it wants. Fortunately in MA you can have one NOT READY result and still pass.
IMG_20220326_201029__01.jpg
Sponsored