Got to drive a new S650 Mustang over the weekend.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
So one buddy of mine has a 2020 S550 Mustang GT PP1 with the 10 speed auto, which I've driven several times in the past, and another buddy of mine just bought the new 2024 S650 Mustang GT PP1 with the 10 speed auto, and added the Black-out Package to it, which cost him $59,980 out the door, so about $1,000 more than I paid for my Supra, and about $12,000 more than my buddy paid for his used 2020 PP1.

Over the weekend I got a chance to meet up with the guys and we drove the S650. I personally have driven both cars, and I'm not exactly sure how to put my finger on it, but I felt very "out of place" in the 2024 Stang. I couldn't get comfortable behind the wheel no matter what I did. The seating positions and the overall feeling when connected to the steering wheel just felt awful to me and made me miss my Supra so much. Oddly, I do not have this issue in the 2020 Mustang though, I felt right at home in that car. Compared to the Supra, being behind the wheel in the 2024 Mustang just made me feel like a lot was missing, I felt so disconnected as a driver. I'm pretty sure this is a "me" thing though because I know A LOT of people love the Mustang platform.

Here are some pictures of the car up close. Overall, I think it's a good looking car, but personally I think the S550 takes my vote for being the better looking car. The S650 has lost a lot of the body lines that were previously present in the S550 and this is not a good thing in my opinion. Also, the entire dash and 90% of all driver controls being locked behind using the touch screen is insane, F off with that crap. Almost everything you can do with the S650 requires you to use the touch screen and I can't stand that lol.

(These aren't comparison pictures, the two Mustangs just happen to be side by side in the driveway.)

20231008_144756.jpg

20231008_144804.jpg

20231008_144814.jpg

20231008_144828.jpg

20231008_144916.jpg

20231008_144926.jpg

20231008_144957.jpg

20231008_145016.jpg
Sponsored

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Are these steer by wire?

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
Love the new design and interior tech with the mustang but that steering wheel they put is horrible. So bulky looks like it belongs in a pickup truck instead, the last generations steering wheels were slick and sporty

OP
OP
Sereph102889

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Love the new design and interior tech with the mustang but that steering wheel they put is horrible. So bulky looks like it belongs in a pickup truck instead, the last generations steering wheels were slick and sporty
Maybe I'm a bit old school when it comes to the interior and driver controls, but I personally prefer analog controls. I think the Supra strikes a great balance between digital and analog controls, but when you get into the newer Mustang it's ALL controlled via that damn touch screen. Not a fan of that.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I love the body. But that interior is wack imo

Zoomie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 RSX, 2021 4Runner, 2023 GR Supra 3.0MT
Ford went all-in on 'infotainment' about a decade ago. I hate it.
Give me buttons and dials over touch-screens.
Forget okay-google, give me okay-boomer.

I get what you mean about the driving feel. I cross shopped the Evo X vs the Subie STi and the Evo felt laser focused while the Subie wanted to wag its tail every time you even looked at the steering wheel. The Supra has that same tight steering feel while most DSM feel disconnected or floaty to me.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I get what you mean about the driving feel. I cross shopped the Evo X vs the Subie STi and the Evo felt laser focused while the Subie wanted to wag its tail every time you even looked at the steering wheel. The Supra has that same tight steering feel while most DSM feel disconnected or floaty to me.
I was in Evo land for almost 20 years. The steering on the Supra, and most modern cars, is no comparison. It does feel tight but as far as feel in the steering and chassis, it's numb compared to the Evo and the Elise/Exige and other cars of that build type.

I've learned to drive the Supra fast on track by being proactive, not reactive. Not enough feel to be reactive.

Zoomie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 RSX, 2021 4Runner, 2023 GR Supra 3.0MT
I was in Evo land for almost 20 years. The steering on the Supra, and most modern cars, is no comparison. It does feel tight but as far as feel in the steering and chassis, it's numb compared to the Evo and the Elise/Exige and other cars of that build type.

I've learned to drive the Supra fast on track by being proactive, not reactive. Not enough feel to be reactive.
I buy that. My DD for the past 18 years has been an RSX. It has fantastic and very direct steering. The Supra feels 'numb' in comparison but the car still feels very point and shoot to me. I haven't been out on a track with my A90. I did take it on some nice mountain roads this weekend the car felt a bit telepathic. I had a decent feel for how hard the tires were working on some of the tighter corners.

Low flyer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 GR Supra, 45th Anniversary, Mikan Blast
Maybe I'm a bit old school when it comes to the interior and driver controls, but I personally prefer analog controls. I think the Supra strikes a great balance between digital and analog controls, but when you get into the newer Mustang it's ALL controlled via that damn touch screen. Not a fan of that.
I feel the same way.

We have a 2018 Cadillac XTS. I hate that car. It's a beautiful car, but everything else about it sucks. Everything is touch screen and very non ergonomic. And the ride? Our 06' Durango and 07' Dodge diesel dually ride smoother and have less road noise.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Looks like they got rid of a bunch of body lines to simplify the look.... but in doing so.. I dunno. Looks rather flat and plain, IMO. Particularly in the rear bumper/quarter area. I dunno about that. I think the previous gen is best, so far.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Drove one last week, Normal non PP GT premium 10spd, it was not anywhere near as sporty or dynamic as my supra, but it definitely fast as fast if not faster in a straight line and would make for an awesome daily cruiser, and this one had the valved exhaust and frankly stock sounded perfect.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
The majority of people that love Mustangs are mainly because they think it looks cool and makes them feel “badass”, not really because it has great driving feel, plus let's be real how many Mustang buyers are the hardcore and more skilled drivers. The Mustang might as well be the econobox of the RWD performance car world with how wide it's appeal is.

Allenyao09

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Toyota GR Supra 3.0 MT
Performance wise the S650 is kind of disappointing.
1697481662668.png
Sponsored