Has anyone had their brake fluid changed by Toyota?

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
I have a 2020 and it is due for its brake fluid to be changed, maintenance indicator went on for it.
I went to the dealer I bought it from and they quoted me $349 to change the fluid.
I was told they don't the right machine to do it and have to have 2 technicians do it manually.
While I was waiting for a price back from the dealer I called a different one and they cam back with $210 which is a lot more reasonable for it.
So I wonder if the 2nd dealer ponied up the money and bought a machine for BMW's.

Has any one else had the fluid brake changed, and how much did it cost?
My pricing is based on dealers located in Illinois.
Sponsored

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
I find it odd that they would need 2 techs. The dealer could buy a bleeding kit for 100 dollars and make it a one tech job.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

daviddavepdx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra 2020
Vehicle Showcase
does the brake fluid break down (pun not intended) over time? got the warning on my 2020 @3k miles.

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It is true you need two people if you don’t have the machine and keep in mind it’s for BMW so it does make sense. You can also go to any bmw shop to do it

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Bleeding a brake caliper is a one-man job with a $90 tool. It doesn't need anything fancy or BMW-specific. It's just an annoying and somewhat messy job.

$210 is an okay price considering the cost of fluid and 1hr of labor.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
does the brake fluid break down (pun not intended) over time? got the warning on my 2020 @3k miles.
Yeah, the reminder (warning) is set by time not mileage. Had 36K when mine went off. Got it done with an oil change at local independent BMW shop for just slightly more than the oil change. I can't remember exactly but I think it was either $150 or $175 for the brake fluid change.

Scary inflation on everything... when I got my first oil change there it was $75... then $95 on next one, $125 on the last one. Figure my next change is gonna be $150. :rolleyes:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Every brake fluid has a dry and wet boiling point. Since we have a DOT4 fluid we do have a higher “wet” boiling point. Over time the fluid will absorb water. If you’re tracking, it’s crucial to change you fluid more often and know your wet boiling point. I gotta admit, for my in town cars I’m awful about changing the fluid. But for the track, everyone will at least bleed it more often and change it yearly. With that said, I doubt I’ll ever “boil” the fluid in town. But on track with repeated threshold braking, it could happen.

https://epicbleedsolutions.com/blogs/faq/what-is-meant-by-wet-and-dry-boiling-points-of-brake-fluid

OP
OP
Grendel-13

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
I end up getting the brake fluid changed at the Naperville Toyota dealer. It ended up being $187 after tax, but I was able to get a free loaner so I didn't have to get a ride back. So with the loaner I think it was a fair price. Their customer service was much better, so I think I will be going to Naperville for future Service. Other dealer doesn't offer loaners.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Ooof - you could gravity bleed it too.

Suck the fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster, fill up the new fluid, then put the car on jacks and crack the bleeders open starting from passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front while keeping an eye on the fluid and making sure it stays level - takes some time but you wont get air in the system this way.

Michael-Dallas

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 4Runner
I used a Motive Power Bleeder to do brake flushes on my E46 M3, but that was 15 years ago. Made it an easy 1-person job that didn’t require a second person to pump brakes. To get the fluid out of the ABS, you’d have flush the brakes, then drive and engage the ABS pump, then flush the brakes again.

I bet my Motive Power Bleeder would still work on the Supra. đŸ€”