Have a look at the Prototype Supra's engine

BRZer86

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Jaguar XJL Portfolio
I don't have the internal/component specifics yet or information on why redline may be different.

It was hard enough just to get that bit of info at this point so.
No worries, but If you were to make an educated guess - do you think Toyota is making their own QA/QC alterations to the motor or are they riding with what BMW supplies them with.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves with this whole Toyota showed BMW how to make a more powerful engine mentality. BMW makes much more powerful engines than Toyota does, just compare their line ups and you’ll see BMW is by far superior to Toyota when it comes to performance. Not to say Toyota didn’t improve on BMW’s design or performance but at the end of the day it’s a modified BMW engine if that even has any truth to it.

As of right now there is zero information about that being the case. There is also no way the Z4 will be less powerful than the Supra, think about it logically. There is no reason to think the Supra will be the superior twin, let’s just wait and see.

BRZer86

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Jaguar XJL Portfolio
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves with this whole Toyota showed BMW how to make a more powerful engine mentality. BMW makes much more powerful engines than Toyota does, just compare their line ups and you’ll see BMW is by far superior to Toyota when it comes to performance. Not to say Toyota didn’t improve on BMW’s design or performance but at the end of the day it’s a modified BMW engine if that even has any truth to it.

As of right now there is zero information about that being the case. There is also no way the Z4 will be less powerful than the Supra, think about it logically. There is no reason to think the Supra will be the superior twin, let’s just wait and see.
At the end of the day both parties had to have gained immense strategies and approaches from one another. It’s not a tug of war collaboration (i.e. Daimler-Chrysler marriage at the turn of the century) on who can rob one of a proprietary advancement throughout the R&D stage.

It’s as if we lose sight of BMW and Toyota both wanting to accomplish two different things in the end.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
No worries, but If you were to make an educated guess - do you think Toyota is making their own QA/QC alterations to the motor or are they riding with what BMW supplies them with.
IMO, it would be odd if the engines weren't more or less identical hardware wise, and I think any of the QC improvements or performance added would be present on both. It just makes things a lot easier having the same parts backed by the same testing.

That said, they may have some different parts, like cams, outside of just ECU mapping. I have some inclination on that based on some other things said, but I still can't talk about it, and it would just be conjecture anyhow.

Last edited:

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
They shouldn't be. It just goes to show both companies can learn from each other and apply techniques from each side.
I'm just poking fun about the stereotypes. All jokes aside, the rumour about the Supra able to post a 0-60 time of 3.8sec might be legit.

I seriously do hope both BMW and Toyota learned a lot from this partnership. Who knows, future BMWs may become more reliable and Toyotas may become more performance oriented.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just poking fun about the stereotypes. All jokes aside, the rumour about the Supra able to post a 0-60 time of 3.8sec might be legit.

I seriously do hope both BMW and Toyota learned a lot from this partnership. Who knows, future BMWs may become more reliable and Toyotas may become more performance oriented.
If you took the 3iS and the 4GS, they both drove better than their corresponding competition from BMW. Toyota/Lexus has the know how’s to make world class cars.. that are reliable, fun and good looking. However they (Toyota) is also frugal AF and it resulted in this .. at no point there was a benefit in knowledge or how to do things learnt by Toyota.. it was purely for money. I’m sure BAmW learned how to make a reliable car on the other hand.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
The bimmer fanboys must have felt really butthurt :rolleyes:
They probably will never give any credit or acknowledge Toyota's hand in this project either, except for allaying blame in anything they don't like.

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
Nothing new and exciting overall it seems besides what we thought we new overall, bmw motor with Toyota spices.

My opinion...

The Supra must come with a nicely tuned engine producing over 400hp to be something meaningful impactful out of the box.

I was under the impression however that Toyota was developing and testing their own motor, has that rumor ended?

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
I was under the impression however that Toyota was developing and testing their own motor, has that rumor ended?
Not ended, but it would seem that the Z4 will also be using (mechanically) the Toyota "developed" version.

Jeff

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Someone rang?
Paging Dr. Performance, juicy info for you to see if you haven't yet.
You rang???

"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin

Everyone is so quick to believe something that no one has seen or touched. It's like when George Bush told America, "Iraq has weapons of mass destruction", and all American's cheered him....lol! At this point, what makes A70TTR's (or any "insider's") comments any more believable than the other guys??? Have any of you read his comments and the reaction and effect it has on forum members?? Haha! It's hilarious the reaction some people have on information that hasn't been seen or witnessed by any forum member at this point, and the actual facts that we have....people refuse to believe it or want to alter it's meaning to fit the bill. "BMW ended up using the same engine, but careful with the assumptions :)." There is nothing in this statement that would WOW anyone...yet, RyleyMA61 wants to "read into this... especially given his previous comments re: kW, kg and NDA." What the hell does that mean? Were the kW, kg, and NDA facts put out there by Toyota? How do you know they are real numbers? RyleyMA61, you of all members actually saw the car in person...no? Did you get any hard figures at that time, when you were right in-front of the chief engineer? I don't think so, all I remember from your "interview" with Tada was just him nodding "yeano" at all the questions you asked. Someone opened the hood on a MKV Supra recently, and what was revealed was an identical setup to just about any other BMW six on the market...yet, people wanted to "read into it" as it might be just a test mule or rendering or whatever. Really?? Is it that hard to believe that Toyota collaborated with BMW, and the MKV Supra has a BMW engine??? Who started the rumor of Yamaha ex-employee's working on the MKV Supra engine? Be realistic....it doesn't take one, or two, or three Yamaha ex-employee's to transform a product into anything, it takes a whole division or departments with modern sophisticated equipment to do so. Yamaha used a whole sound engineering division of their company to help master the LFA's F1 intake and exhaust sound...just the sound. You all actually believe that a Yamaha ex-employee's involvement would yield any substantial results??? With what??? His/her pocket calculator and Steno pad???

A70TTR, you may very well be a Toyota employee or just some freshman in college who scored a seat on the forum's "reputable committee." Not trying to bad mouth you, or your comments....i'm just a person who believes things when I see it or hear it from actual sources. So far, the only thing I have heard and seen, is that the MKV Supra will have a BMW drivetrain. That's it....right from Tada's mouth and from real photo's. Tuning, suspension, blah, blah, blah is all marketing gimmicks. It's like when Porsche upsells their 911's with the "Chrono's Package", and how it enhances vehicle performance through a system that simultaneously alters elements of chassis, engine, and transmission. Sheeple.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Someone opened the hood on a MKV Supra recently, and what was revealed was an identical setup to just about any other BMW six on the market...yet, people wanted to "read into it" as it might be just a test mule or rendering or whatever. Really?? Is it that hard to believe that Toyota collaborated with BMW, and the MKV Supra has a BMW engine??? Who started the rumor of Yamaha ex-employee's working on the MKV Supra engine? Be realistic....it doesn't take one, or two, or three Yamaha ex-employee's to transform a product into anything, it takes a whole division or departments with modern sophisticated equipment to do so. Yamaha used a whole sound engineering division of their company to help master the LFA's F1 intake and exhaust sound...just the sound. You all actually believe that a Yamaha ex-employee's involvement would yield any substantial results??? With what??? His/her pocket calculator and Steno pad???

I don't think anyone here said the MKV won't use a BMW motor in the car, people calling the toyota-tuned bmw motor a toyota motor is just semantics.

He isnt the only one stating CGI block with Yamaha involvement, its over on BimmerBoost as well