Help with negotiating tactics

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2016 Ram Diesel
I'm looking to purchase a new 2021 supra premium 3.0 here soon. I originally was hell bent on getting a A91 in refraction blue but there aren't very many of them out there left. I contacted a couple dealers already but they both were asking crazy mark ups ( $11k & $23K - in California). I really don't even want to pay MSRP as I've seen plenty of you guys get these cars well under that.

With that said, I've changed gears a bit and I think I'm now leaning towards a premium trim in the Turbulence gray. I really was wanting the A91 for the refraction color (of course) and I really like the black wheels. But after looking, the turbulence seems to be pretty unique and seems to be a little more rare then the other base colors. The alcantara would have also been nice but I heard it tends to get hot and wears faster. Plus I think I want the HUD. So with the mark ups, I think the A91 is out of the question for now and I feel I can still be happy with this trim and color combo.

What I'm wondering is if any of you can help and give me some pointers on how you went about negotiating your killer deals. Really, I'm looking to buy it at invoice as that does seem possible. Plus there is now a $1500 rebate out. I already contacted one dealer that has a turbulence gray in stock and told him straight up, I'm not paying any mark up or even MSRP. His response was he asked me what I was looking to pay, I haven't responded yet. It looks like invoice is just under $50k so I suppose that is what I should respond with. Now, should I be asking for invoice PLUS taking off the rebate or do you expect the dealer to add the $1500 to what ever their bottom line is, then take that away?

Any help or advice on the best way to negotiate is appreciated. This is only the 2nd new car I will have purchased and the first one was really easy as I new I was getting the best deal. This one is a little more tricky. Thanks a lot!
Sponsored

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
I'm looking to purchase a new 2021 supra premium 3.0 here soon. I originally was hell bent on getting a A91 in refraction blue but there aren't very many of them out there left. I contacted a couple dealers already but they both were asking crazy mark ups ( $11k & $23K - in California). I really don't even want to pay MSRP as I've seen plenty of you guys get these cars well under that.

With that said, I've changed gears a bit and I think I'm now leaning towards a premium trim in the Turbulence gray. I really was wanting the A91 for the refraction color (of course) and I really like the black wheels. But after looking, the turbulence seems to be pretty unique and seems to be a little more rare then the other base colors. The alcantara would have also been nice but I heard it tends to get hot and wears faster. Plus I think I want the HUD. So with the mark ups, I think the A91 is out of the question for now and I feel I can still be happy with this trim and color combo.

What I'm wondering is if any of you can help and give me some pointers on how you went about negotiating your killer deals. Really, I'm looking to buy it at invoice as that does seem possible. Plus there is now a $1500 rebate out. I already contacted one dealer that has a turbulence gray in stock and told him straight up, I'm not paying any mark up or even MSRP. His response was he asked me what I was looking to pay, I haven't responded yet. It looks like invoice is just under $50k so I suppose that is what I should respond with. Now, should I be asking for invoice PLUS taking off the rebate or do you expect the dealer to add the $1500 to what ever their bottom line is, then take that away?

Any help or advice on the best way to negotiate is appreciated. This is only the 2nd new car I will have purchased and the first one was really easy as I new I was getting the best deal. This one is a little more tricky. Thanks a lot!
Go look at the page of what people have posted about how much they paid for their Supra.
I paid 47k for a 2020 Supra with 5k miles on it. The asking price was 52k I believe.
they were also selling that blue a91 for 58k. They probably would have taken 55k for it. Although last time I went they were loading it to ship to another dealership

the things I said was 1. Itā€™s covid and nobody is buying a car
2. Iā€™ve seen this car on your site for months now (was actually a lie)
3. They wouldnā€™t budge from 50k when I talked them down to it.
I simply said ā€œsorry I donā€™t think we can make a deal. I see another one of a different color the next city over for 50k. If I can talk you guys down 2k then I can do the same there.

they ended up getting to 48k and offered me some form of vacation package. I said keep the package and take off 1k.

it was my first time buying a car from a dealer. I left pretty content with the purchase as I planned to spend sticker price.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
With the $1500 rebate, I paid $49K (+sales tax and registration) for a Supra that stickered at $56.7k. If nothing else, and I donā€™t know if it would work, but get a quote from CarMax in MD: they emailed me a quote so I had proof. They should quote you around $50.5K on a NEW 2021. Anyway, you can use this as a bargaining tool, maybe. I shopped this price around Northern VA and got a bit better price. Yes, it might be a long shot to get them to accept a very far out of state quote, but it will only take 5 mins of your time.

CarMax will even offer to try to secure an A91 (I had no interest) if you ask, but make no guarantees that they can get one. Again, new.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
Never go to a dealership before having a price agreed to on paper out the door. Get one dealership to offer a price, change their email to whatever you want to go for, and send the offer to other dealerships to see if they can match or beat it. They won't lower their price unless they know someone else will beat them to the sale. Lie to them, and work them over like they work over most of their customers.

brugadathug

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Honda Fit
Go to Auburn Toyota. They don't have the color you are looking for (black/silver) but they will offer you a great price. I was there recently and the manager said he can do 3500-5000 off. This was before the current 1500 rebate. I might pull the trigger myself soon.

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Never go to a dealership before having a price agreed to on paper out the door. Get one dealership to offer a price, change their email to whatever you want to go for, and send the offer to other dealerships to see if they can match or beat it. They won't lower their price unless they know someone else will beat them to the sale. Lie to them, and work them over like they work over most of their customers.
this was the first dealer I contacted. Thereā€™s actually a lot of dealers that have this color that are pretty close so Iā€™ll probably contact a few for sure. Iā€™m just trying not to get one from very far away as I donā€™t want to drive it 400+ miles back home and risk rock chips lol. I plan on getting ppf pretty much right away

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Go to Auburn Toyota. They don't have the color you are looking for (black/silver) but they will offer you a great price. I was there recently and the manager said he can do 3500-5000 off. This was before the current 1500 rebate. I might pull the trigger myself soon.
If your talking about Auburn in CA they do have a turbulence gray and theyā€™re on my radar.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
With the $1500 rebate, I paid $49K (+sales tax and registration) for a Supra that stickered at $56.7k. If nothing else, and I donā€™t know if it would work, but get a quote from CarMax in MD: they emailed me a quote so I had proof. They should quote you around $50.5K on a NEW 2021. Anyway, you can use this as a bargaining tool, maybe. I shopped this price around Northern VA and got a bit better price. Yes, it might be a long shot to get them to accept a very far out of state quote, but it will only take 5 mins of your time.

CarMax will even offer to try to secure an A91 (I had no interest) if you ask, but make no guarantees that they can get one. Again, new.
Search for cars on Autotrader, Cars.com, Cargurus, Carmax, etc is good.

Better work with CarMax fast if you want a new car. They are getting out of the New car business this year.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/pickup-truck-sales-appear-to-be-pandemic-proof/

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250

Attachments

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
Generic car buying answer... don't fall in love with one car at one dealership. Go in knowing there are many cars out there, and you can and will walk out without the one you are stopping in to see. Have a bit of patience, stand your ground, don't let them play games. Be prepared to travel to a better dealer.