Holding the downshift paddle/lever while braking hard.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
I am still "breaking in" my A91, but I tried the technique mention in the thread title once and it downshifted immediately from 8th to 3rd gear in manual sport mode. Has anyone tried it while braking hard all the way to a stop? If so, does it downshift down to first as speed is scrubbed off? Is it simply finding the lowest safe gear one time?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not sure what you are trying to do or what you are asking.. but car won't let you money shift. Also, gear paddles doesn't function like computer keyboard.
Some cars auto downshift at the highest possible mph for the next lowest gear if you hold down the paddles. It appears our cars do it at least once. I wanted to know if it continues downshifting if you hold down the paddles while decelerating, similar to some other cars, or if it only downshifts to the lowest possible gear once. I guess I'll find out in a few hundred miles on my own. Makes me wonder if anyone even knows about the feature.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
when you are breaking, whether you are holding it down or not, if RPM falls below certain range - I think was around 1,000 RPM - it automatically shifts down. If car comes to complete stop, it goes down to 1st gear/neutral-ish position ready to start from 1st gear. this occurs regardless shifter is held or not. I never encountered need to hold paddle shifter so i'm not sure. perhaps this is useful when you street racing? however, if you are breaking and downshifting from 7,000, for example 5th gear, car will wait until RPM reaches 5,000 RPM and then shift to 4th. if you pull twice on same situation, car will shift to 4th as before and then shift 3rd when it reaches 5,000 RPM on 4th gear. As I said before, it will save you from money shift.

OP
OP

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think we're misunderstanding each other.?. Next time you drive the car, get up to 60mph and aggressively brake.while braking hold down the paddle.it will shift from 8th to 3rd gear instantly. I guess I will find out if continuing to hold the paddle down will result in a shift down to 2nd and 1st to further provide engine braking.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
I think we're misunderstanding each other.?. Next time you drive the car, get up to 60mph and aggressively brake.while braking hold down the paddle.it will shift from 8th to 3rd gear instantly. I guess I will find out if continuing to hold the paddle down will result in a shift down to 2nd and 1st to further provide engine braking.
It does this because its trying to find the right gear for you to be in based on the speed you are dropping too as well as the RPMs. Generally speaking this car will never go into 1st gear unless you tell it to, and its generally a good idea not to. Same as when you drive a manual, you pretty much always come to a stop in second gear.

pav911

First Name
Pav
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Range Rover, Mini JCW
Even without braking, if I keep the down lever held for a few seconds it will put me in the lowest gear that is safe for the rpm. I can then accelerate and will need to upshift manually until I put it back into 'D'. I've not tried holding it while continuing to brake to a stop.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Learned something new reading this thread.. since I only drive in manual mode 100% of the time (I'm an avid manual driver), I'm always driving 2-3 sec ahead of where I am and downshift earlier to prepare the car for the punch or turn if needed. I also drive the car around the RPM I drive my MT cars unless I'm cruising down an open highway with no traffic around me so it've never had to use this feature. I guess I'll try it next year when my car comes out of hibernation..!

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
Just so I understand, you just hold the Down lever and it'll go into the lowest allowable gear? Do you have to be braking as well? Or will it work if you're just cruising and then want to suddenly pass someone?

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
That's a slick trick and all. It does not take long to learn the car and rpms with gears and speed.
Its easier- for me- just to hit the down paddle however times to be where I want.
but i am glad for the something i never knew! :)

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
So I tried this yesterday. somewhat different than while braking. I held speed and held downshift for for few seconds and I believed the car selected lowest gear at 4,000 RPM unlike 5,000 RPM as I expected since that was the highest RPM car was allowing me to down shift in track. I'm not sure if sport mode will have different result but I was on normal mode. I guess I will try few more times in future when weather gets better in north east - we just had 16" of snow...

OP
OP

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just so I understand, you just hold the Down lever and it'll go into the lowest allowable gear? Do you have to be braking as well? Or will it work if you're just cruising and then want to suddenly pass someone?
I've only ever done it while braking (once actually), but from what others are saying it looks like anytime you hold down the lever or paddle, it will downshift to the lowest possible gear...

pav911

First Name
Pav
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Range Rover, Mini JCW
Correct. you don't need to be braking. I take my foot off the accelerator as well though. not sure what it'll do if you've got the accelerator to the floor and then try and shift down. can't imagine that's gonna be very smooth.

glennQNYC

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 BMW 335i
Vehicle Showcase
Holding down the “-“ paddle to downshift to the lowest available gear is a common BMW feature in at least the ZF8... but I personally can’t imagine wanting to perform this action under braking.
Sponsored