How are your Supras holding up from going to the track? Is it a good platform?

JDM fanboy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CTR
Long story short, Im considering getting a Supra, and I'm wondering how they have been holding up in terms of reliability since they've been out for awhile now. Are there any common failures?

I considered getting a 981 Cayman GT4 but I feel like a lightly modified Supra can replicate the same feeling.

Ive seen alot of Supra track builds on YouTube, and Im part of the community so I'm just wondering what the general consensus is. Biggest barrier for me will just be my height and if I can fit in it
Sponsored

Rta95

First Name
Rahat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Outside of some rock chips in the front bumper, it hasn't skipped a beat yet. Runs flawlessly. Been tracking it for almost 2 years now. Probably did like 15 events with it? I drive it pretty hard too lol. Backroads and such.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Long story short, Im considering getting a Supra, and I'm wondering how they have been holding up in terms of reliability since they've been out for awhile now. Are there any common failures?

I considered getting a 981 Cayman GT4 but I feel like a lightly modified Supra can replicate the same feeling.

Ive seen alot of Supra track builds on YouTube, and Im part of the community so I'm just wondering what the general consensus is

My Supra has three seasons of track use. First season was stock power. Second and current season is with 500+ hp.

45+ track days
1701 laps
40.1 hours

Zero issues so far.

Only mechanical issues I have had have been from trash aftermarket SPL parts.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
I have 40k miles and over 20 track days. I've noticed a few more squeaks and rattles, but the car is holding up extremely well.

I've gone to motor oil, brake fluid, and rear differential fluid more suited for the track, and I change fuilds on a more aggressive schedule.

Rta95

First Name
Rahat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have 40k miles and over 20 track days. I've noticed a few more squeaks and rattles, but the car is holding up extremely well.

I've gone to motor oil, brake fluid, and rear differential fluid more suited for the track, and I change fuilds on a more aggressive schedule.
+1 on this. Definitely notice a few little squeaks and rattles too but it's not concerning to me right now.

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I'm super rough on my car when I track it. I have no chill.

But it does the job and asks for more. Everyone who is out on track with me is blown away by how well it does for the minimal mods I have.

Get proper fluid and enjoy!

Rta95

First Name
Rahat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Would you mind sharing at what intervals you change your fluids?

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
I always change out my brake fluid and oil before the season starts so I'm on fresh lube.

I change my brake fluid 2X per year, before and after "track season" or every 6K miles. I use Castrol SRF because it's common and deals with high humidity well.

I've been changing my oil every 3-5k during track season, but let it go over the winter when I daily the car. I use Motul 8100 X-cess Gen. 2 5W-40.

I've done my diff fluid once so far at 30k, but I wish I had done it sooner because it was weeping fluid. Nothing serious, but it had definitely lost a little. I also did the Versus cooling plate and I haven't noticed any further weeping.

This year I'm going to service the transmission. I probably should have last year but I spent a TON of money on seat time.

OP
OP

JDM fanboy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CTR
I'm super rough on my car when I track it. I have no chill.

But it does the job and asks for more. Everyone who is out on track with me is blown away by how well it does for the minimal mods I have.

Get proper fluid and enjoy!
I see that you live in Georgia. Does the car have any overheating problems, and if so are there any solutions? I have a CTR so Im familiar with overheating issues

Eyelise

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2023 Supra
Just an FYI I track with a buddy who has a GT4 and we run the same lap times. Obviously it may have a lot to do with the drivers but the Supra is darn close. I have sway bars, camber plates, and one season tracking the Supra on OEM PSSs. This year I have a proper track wheel/tire set.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Just an FYI I track with a buddy who has a GT4 and we run the same lap times. Obviously it may have a lot to do with the drivers but the Supra is darn close. I have sway bars, camber plates, and one season tracking the Supra on OEM PSSs. This year I have a proper track wheel/tire set.
GT3's are more of a match for Supras. GT4's are whatever.

IMG_3543.jpeg
IMG_3544.jpeg
IMG_3545.jpeg

OP
OP

JDM fanboy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CTR
Yeah I came to that realization. A modded Supra can be replicate alot of what the GT4 can give you without the Porshe tax. Just was curious to if they had any reliability issues

Last edited:

exe36m3

First Name
Percy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
Somewhat related note... the Supra's BMW DNA makes for an incredible track heritage.

My old 1995 M3 went from *enthusiast* track days on Sundays to stop/go 75+ mile commute traffic Monday through Friday. Never left me stranded and parts were sometimes "cheap"

The BMW 2-3-4 series platforms just make for plentiful parts, moderate maintenance, and a huge community/network of BMW independent shops and people. Ask for help on the JDM side, and you'll be laughed at. Do the same on the BMW side, and you've got guys at your place pulling your suspension for beer and pizza.
Sponsored