How is odometer mileage actually measured?

Cyph

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
I’m wondering how the Supra measures mileage as a rear wheel drive BMW goes by the revolutions of the wheels.

Since the Supra likes to spin its wheels especially on stock tires, does that mean you rack up more miles on the odometer the more you spin through 1st and 2nd gear?

I just got some R888R’s put on the stock wheels and they got me thinking. If there is less wheel spin with grippy tires, is there less mileage being added to the odometer compared to the stock rears just spinning freely?

Couldn’t find anything when searching for this, so any insight is appreciated.
Sponsored

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Do a burnout while sitting still and look at the speedo. That should answer your question.

OP
OP
Cyph

Cyph

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
Do a burnout while sitting still and look at the speedo. That should answer your question.
I kind of want to now but these tires are pricey for how long they last. It feels like I would need to do the burnout for over 20-30 seconds to see a mile added lol. I should’ve tried it when I still had my old PSS.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
I’m wondering how the Supra measures mileage as a rear wheel drive BMW goes by the revolutions of the wheels.

Since the Supra likes to spin its wheels especially on stock tires, does that mean you rack up more miles on the odometer the more you spin through 1st and 2nd gear?

I just got some R888R’s put on the stock wheels and they got me thinking. If there is less wheel spin with grippy tires, is there less mileage being added to the odometer compared to the stock rears just spinning freely?

Couldn’t find anything when searching for this, so any insight is appreciated.
I would guess by transmission output shaft. You can't really do it off the wheels because when you turn one wheels turns faster than the other.

OP
OP
Cyph

Cyph

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
Thinking about it more, it does make sense that it would add miles accordingly. So smashing thru 1st, burnouts and sliding around corners often is fun but bad for resale. Shocker.

Once my tires are bald or if it ever rains, I may do the burnout to verify.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
How many burn outs are you doing that you are worried about significantly increasing your mileage?
This. Also. You either drive it like intended or it's a garage queen and you a mileage fearing car collector.

All these threads about PPF and mileage fear makes me feel like these are the next corvettes. Once I start seeing Supra owners with Supra jackets and hats on talking about how the old days where the best days then we know we have slipped into the darkness.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep

Yeah, but no worries....you can always jack up the back and put it in reverse to take off those miles.

But wait....that didn't even work in the movies, did it?

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
This. Also. You either drive it like intended or it's a garage queen and you a mileage fearing car collector.

All these threads about PPF and mileage fear makes me feel like these are the next corvettes. Once I start seeing Supra owners with Supra jackets and hats on talking about how the old days where the best days then we know we have slipped into the darkness.
Got no complaints or regrets about getting PPF, but I'll be damned if I don't drive my car like she's meant to be driven.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I kind of want to now but these tires are pricey for how long they last. It feels like I would need to do the burnout for over 20-30 seconds to see a mile added lol. I should’ve tried it when I still had my old PSS.
You would have to do a burnout for 60 seconds at 60 mph (wheel speed) to add one mile to the odometer..... You are way over thinking this.

OP
OP
Cyph

Cyph

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
How many burn outs are you doing that you are worried about significantly increasing your mileage?
I don’t do burnouts at all. The closest thing to a burnout is launching at a green light rarely. The PSS are very predictable when sliding around corners so I do that often but it goes through the rears pretty quickly. Last pair lasted 1 month/3000 miles lol.

Decided R888R would be a good intervention.

OP
OP
Cyph

Cyph

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
why dont you get some jackstand and find out the ferris bueller way. he didnt have to worry about freaking out abs at least.
This sounds like it could work. I do have quick jacks 🧐
Sponsored