How to reduce rear twitchiness

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
I have a 2020 3.0, and while it generally feels planted, there are times where undulations in turns makes the rear feel twitchy and I lose confidence in the car - that’s not what I want in a car like this.

Without changing all the rear suspension components, or buying expensive parts, what wold be the biggest bang for the buck in managing this? A sway bar?
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I have a 2020 3.0, and while it generally feels planted, there are times where undulations in turns makes the rear feel twitchy and I lose confidence in the car - that’s not what I want in a car like this.

Without changing all the rear suspension components, or buying expensive parts, what wold be the biggest bang for the buck in managing this? A sway bar?
Even though the 2020 is more twitchy than the 2021, a simple alignment could help things. A bit more toe in, drop the air pressure on the tires, but also, go lighter on the throttle at corner exit. Your foot controls how twitchy a car gets. The smoother you drive, the less it'll twitch.

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
My friend has a 2020 3.0 and noticed that same twitchiness as you described. After he installed front and rear sway bars (aFe Control), he said the twitchiness went away. I was able to test drive his car with the aFe sway bars and the car felt very stable. That test drive is what actually sold me on getting this car! Needless to say, my sway bars are already on order. ;)

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Even though the 2020 is more twitchy than the 2021, a simple alignment could help things. A bit more toe in, drop the air pressure on the tires, but also, go lighter on the throttle at corner exit. Your foot controls how twitchy a car gets. The smoother you drive, the less it'll twitch.
Yes, strongly endorse starting with an alignment first before any suspension modifications or tire changes whatsoever. Other than that, try to observe when and where you sense oversteer. In my experience, the times I felt a loss of control were a result of my inputs--not some defect with the car.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Yes, strongly endorse starting with an alignment first before any suspension modifications or tire changes whatsoever. Other than that, try to observe when and where you sense oversteer. In my experience, the times I felt a loss of control were a result of my inputs--not some defect with the car.
Exactly

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
There are many things you can do to the car such as adding 2 x 50 lbs sand bag in the trunk, reduce power of the car, & etc.. but none are bulletproof solution.

however, better option is, you need to have better input to car such as applying gas more gently or letting the car know what you are doing - communicating with car. Take a track day and perhaps an instructor can help you.

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
Alignment. For some reason these cars ship with toe out on front and/or rear. That makes for a squirrely ride when hitting a bump on cornering. Got mine set to a bit of toe in front and rear and it made a huge difference. Had .03 degrees toe out on the left front, and .26 on the right front.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Getting a proper alignment next week or two, but when I did my springs and front sway bar (cusco) it def feels a lot more planted and ofc a lot less body roll.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
A good alignment with some toe-in all around helped quite a bit.

But I also installed the aFe front (only) sway bar on the middle setting. Feels perfect (to me) now!
Sponsored