Status
Not open for further replies.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
yup, in theory this is one of the many purpose of a halo car. it is suppose to bring more people into showroom. not everyone comes in to look at the GT-R and leaves in a Z. but i wouldn't be surprise if there is a number of people that do this. when i was younger i always wanted a MKIV. but due to price i had to settle with for a Celica :/
Sponsored

Hal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda s2000
yup, in theory this is one of the many purpose of a halo car. it is suppose to bring more people into showroom. not everyone comes in to look at the GT-R and leaves in a Z. but i wouldn't be surprise if there is a number of people that do this. when i was younger i always wanted a MKIV. but due to price i had to settle with for a Celica :/
+1

Halo models also allow the company's engineers more room to push the envelope and put the leading technology into it, which will then theoretically trickle down to and improve the lower models in the brand. It'd be nice to see the Supra come along and then the sub-86 car incorporating some technology and parts from the Supra. Not only great for performance but great for marketing too of the sub-86 model. :yes:

Loyo911

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
X5
+1

Halo models also allow the company's engineers more room to push the envelope and put the leading technology into it, which will then theoretically trickle down to and improve the lower models in the brand. It'd be nice to see the Supra come along and then the sub-86 car incorporating some technology and parts from the Supra. Not only great for performance but great for marketing too of the sub-86 model. :yes:
x2 love how for ex. the Cayman GT4 will get plenty of parts from the 911 GT3
Really wondering if there will be a car to slot under the 86 and when it'll come. Toyota needs to steal some Miata sales.

EvoX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo
Really wondering if there will be a car to slot under the 86 and when it'll come. Toyota needs to steal some Miata sales.
Issue is are there enough Miata sales to steal and still make a business case for the sub-86. Of course one could also the counter-argument that Miata sales don't forecast the entire pool of buyers who potentially want a small 2 seat RWD roadster. There could just be people who don't want/like the Miata for some reason but would consider its competitors.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I don't think it's necessarily a chick car, but it's hardly masculine... it definitely does not have a universal appeal.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't think it's necessarily a chick car, but it's hardly masculine... it definitely does not have a universal appeal.
Same here. Though the next generation Mx-5 should change the image of the car a bit. Looks a little more S2000ish so I think with a decent motor it will bring more male buyers than it would with its previous generations which to me had no attraction compared to the new one.
upload_2015-2-25_11-29-25.png

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
A Very Special 300hp Supercharged Scion FR-S Visits Jay Leno

You might remember this particular FR-S from Scion’s 10th annual Tuner Challenge during the last SEMA show.

The “MAXIMUM ATTACK” FR-S was created by Keith Charvonia with the help of designer Andy Blackmore in just 90 days in Charvonia’s personal home garage. The project car -backed up by Speedhunters web portal- makes 300hp at the wheels thanks to a Cosworth Stage 2.0 Supercharger and features a huge list of modifications.

The theme of the car tries to blend the Japanese motorsport tradition with some historic IMSA references and the outcome is just superb. Jay Leno talks to Charvonia about the project and some of the myriad details on the car and in the end we get the chance to hear how the supercharged flat-four sounds like under that louvered bonnet.

Head to the video below to see and hear for yourself.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/04/a-very-special-300hp-supercharged-fr-s.html

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Japanese Super GT’s New Regulations Previewed on Toyota GT 86

japanese-super-gts-new-regulations-previewed-on-toyota-gt-86_1.jpg

japanese-super-gts-new-regulations-previewed-on-toyota-gt-86_2.jpg

japanese-super-gts-new-regulations-previewed-on-toyota-gt-86_3.jpg

japanese-super-gts-new-regulations-previewed-on-toyota-gt-86_4.jpg

For racing rookies, the Super GT series, or the All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship (JGTC), is a grand touring racing series that began in 1993, pitting famous cars like the Toyota Supra, Honda NSX and Nissan GT-R against each other on Japanese race tracks like Fuji Speedway, Suzuka and Twin Ring Motegi. The championship rules will apparently change shortly, coming with a rather important new addition.

With increased costs in recent years, the Super GT organizers are considering a new common platform on which all the cars should roll. The new underpinnings suggest a carbon fiber tub-like center platform with integrated rollcage that will act as a cockpit and center pivot for the rest of the car’s construction.

This means that each team is still allowed to add on their engine, drivetrain and suspension as long as they stick with the GT500 and GT300 regulations that limit the power accordingly.

Japanese racecar builder Dome just showed the first images with the new platform being integrated into the structure of the Toyota GT 86, that will be used to race in the GT300 series. Detailed specs have not been revealed though.

Cool or uncool? Despite the new high tech approach, we consider this a bit sad, since the GT300 series was all about cars closely resembling to their road-going versions. With the new structure though, the series will now be another step closer to the all-cars-are-the-same-only-driving-matters DTM style, leaving less “space” for manufacturers to showcase their technology.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/j...ulations-previewed-on-toyota-gt-86-85927.html

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
Interesting read. A lot of truth in it:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-dealers-the-frs-brz-story-is-told-by-idiots/

And the best quote of the article:

"Our Subaru salesperson said as much during the test drive: "I learn something new about this car from each of the customers who buys one."

If Subaru and Toyota are in a position where the most knowledgeable advocates for their product are the buyers themselves, why not deal the dealers out for once?"

I find this to be true even at a Porsche dealer except when may be you talking with the manager. But there again they are not trying to sell Cameries and the cars in their show rooms sell themselves just because of the brand!

Well, gotta turn of the phone! Plane is leaving. Heading to Europe to see the Formula 1 in Monte Carlo on May 24, and maybe do a little sight seeing before then.

Last edited:

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Interesting read. A lot of truth in it:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-dealers-the-frs-brz-story-is-told-by-idiots/

And the best quote of the article:

"Our Subaru salesperson said as much during the test drive: "I learn something new about this car from each of the customers who buys one."

If Subaru and Toyota are in a position where the most knowledgeable advocates for their product are the buyers themselves, why not deal the dealers out for once?"

I find this to be true even at a Porsche dealer except when may be you talking with the manager. But there again they are not trying to sell Cameries and the cars in their show rooms sell themselves just because of the brand!

Well, gotta turn of the phone! Plane is leaving. Heading to Europe to see the Formula 1 in Monte Carlo on May 24, and maybe do a little sight seeing before then.
Salesmen, managers, and even dealership owners at this level are rarely very knowledgeable, and in their defense the BRZ is really a cult car that attracts enthusiast buyers.

No doubt the FT1 purchase and ownership experience will likely be tarnished by the Toyota dealer experience.

Super jealous about Monaco!!! :D

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
Salesmen, managers, and even dealership owners at this level are rarely very knowledgeable, and in their defense the BRZ is really a cult car that attracts enthusiast buyers.

No doubt the FT1 purchase and ownership experience will likely be tarnished by the Toyota dealer experience.

Super jealous about Monaco!!! :D
I hear you. After all they are to sell what Toyota sells best, not to push something that's not their bread and butter. So it's only natural that a model that's not their nich would fall off the chart, while Prius, Camry, etc wouldn't.

Here's a picture I took a couple of years ago. Monte Carlo is definitely the city which has its priorities right!
image.jpg

Here's my favorite selfy from "the" museum in Maranello:
image.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
I don't see the Supra helping the 86 out much by way of "trickle down" effect. The cars are just too different and far apart in price and purpose.

TorqueRules

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus
So I read earlier this week about Toyota finally axing the Scion brand and rebadging the FR-S as a Toyota, giving Toyota its first sports car in a long time. Got me thinking if this has some possible negative effect on the Supra MKV coming to market? Before this news, the new Supra woulda been the single sports car under Toyota brand. With the FR-S now being becoming a Toyota, any chance they don't bring the Supra back since they might not want to carry multiple sports cars in the lineup? Sports cars aren't exactly selling like hotcakes these days compared to utility cars and trucks.

<TC OFF>

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
I don't think so. The two cars aren't meant to be in the same price segment or performance level and far enough apart that they can sell both under the same brand no problem. I doubt you'll find many cross shoppers between the two. If anything the moving of FR-S to under Toyota brand might make the path easier for the FT-1. Toyota no longer has to worry about their previous policy of badging fun sporty cars as a Scion (which the Toyota Supra would have 'violated').
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.