I-phone getting hot when charging in the cradle

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I'm sorry. I didn't realize we had "Cellphone Battery Experts" in the forum.
I'm not sure what you're getting at with this one. There are absolutely people that are cellphone battery experts - and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them visted sports car forums from time to time. Not that @suicidaleggroll is one, i'm just saying it's not the most insane thing to consider. I know there are quite a few highly technical folks on these forums.

——

I'm a software engineer, and hardware hacking hobbiest (I also worked as Head of Architecture for an IoT company for the last two years), and spent a lot of time working with our hardware team to deal with shit like smart battery charging, charging failsafes, and overheating. It's really really hard shit.

There are a lot of factors at play here, and @suicidaleggroll should certainly be right about these things. Chargers should stop charging when the battery is full, and devices should power down when they’re too hot. There are issues will all of this shit, though. Apple scrapped their AirPower or whatever it was called because of device over-heating issues.

But - failsafes fail, phone batteries get old and stop doing what they're supposed to--this is why you ask for number of charge cycles when buying used Lithium Ion devices.

The charger is probably shitty, the coil is probably shitty, and just generally, wirelessly charging your phone while streaming Spotify and pinging the GPS 10x/second, and keeping the damn thing in an enclosed area isn't the best environment for something sensative to heat.

tldr, don't use the wireless charger unless you want a hot phone.

edit: fixed some typos. There’re probably more, and you’re all dumber for having to deal with them. Sorry :(.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Armando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
I'm not sure what you're getting at with this one. There are absolutely people that are cellphone battery experts - and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them visted sports car forums from time to time. Not that @suicidaleggroll is one, i'm just saying it's not the most insane thing to consider. I know there are quite a few highly technical folks on these forums.

I'm a software engineer, and hardware hacking hobbiest (I also worked as Head of Architecture for an IoT company for the last two years), and spent a lot of time working with our hardware team to deal with shit like smart battery charging, charging failsafes, and overheating. It's really really hard shit.

There are a lot of factors at play here, and @suicidaleggroll should certainly be right about these things. Chargers should stop charging when the battery is full, and devices should power down when their too hot. There are issues will all of this shit though. Apple scrapped their AirPower or whatever it was called because of device over-heating issues.

But - failsafes fail, phone batteries get old and stop doing what they're supposed to--this is why you ask for number of charge cycles when buying used Lithium Ion devices.

The charger is probably shitty, the coil is probably shitty, and just generally, wirelessly charging your phone while streaming Spotify and pinging the GPS 10x/second, and keeping the damn thing in an enclosed area isn't the best environment for something sensative to heat.

tldr, don't use the wireless charge unless you want a hot phone.
What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
I’m sorry, I can’t hear you, could you say it again but louder?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I'm sorry. I didn't realize we had "Cellphone Battery Experts" in the forum. I suppose all the people that are complaining that it's not your typical phone getting hot, but rather, your phone getting so hot it stops working, are just a bunch of idiots that are over-reacting and imagining things.
Suicidaleggroll, may God have mercy on your soul.
I mean I'm not a "cellphone battery expert", but I am an electrical engineer who designs and builds power systems for remote equipment, including satellites, most of which use lithium ion batteries and charging systems very similar to what you would find in a cell phone.

I'm not saying there's not something wrong with a phone getting so hot it goes into thermal protection. All I'm saying is that something like that would be due to a bad/defective wireless charger, not "continuous charging" in general. "Continuous charging" is not harmful for batteries when there's a charging system in place that will float them at an acceptable level, like all lithium ion chargers in existence. A bad or defective wireless charging pad, on the other hand, could cause all sorts of problems.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I always wondered but never researched it, probably because I won't find a simple answer, it's great that cell phone and laptop, well even car batteries charge up to a healthy 80% charge and consider it full for battery longevity, great. What I don't know is, what's the logic control mechanism that triggers recharging after a full charge? When it's down to xx% or when power draw exceeds certain amps... I'm sure it varies.
I feel like the older phones and laptops were constantly charging and the new ones do a better job at managing but still can't address each use scenario.
Chargers themselves obviously have logic boards as well and communication standards are there to ensure OS asks and receives the demanded power from the charger, as long as charger can meet it ..

Consumers expect a lot from electronics, but fact of the matter is you conform to a spec and sometimes specs themselves are not up to consumer standards or sometimes a tier or supplier can deem things adequate as is per program timing, budget, etc...
Then, you hear horror stories, product recalls, then you're like meh this wireless charger is shit. Should have never been approved...
You mentioned thermal protection, but that's "subjective". Many are saying phone is hot to touch but that does not necessarily mean that the surface temp is what the IC and power supply seeing...
Anyhow, I'll shut up, I'm not an expert in the field and even experts can't decode this wifi without schematic, datasheets and test results.

Lastly, the only times where the iPhone ever goes into "reduced peak power, I'm shutting it down" mode for me has been when I have NAV displayed on the phone during a long trip whilst the cable charger is on. Never have any of my old and new phones went into any type of thermal protection when on home Anker wireless charge pad nor Supra's nor other rental cars I drove with CarPlay and AA...

and to quote Google
Heating is a normal phenomenon of inductive wireless charging, because in the process of wireless transmission, energy will be lost, and heat will be generated. It is recommended not to play with the phone while charging and pay attention to heat dissipation.
The maximum average temperature of the charging base while charging under misalignment reached 35.3 °C (95.54 °F), two degrees higher than the temperature researchers detected when the phone was aligned, which achieved 33 °C (91.4 °F)

Reactions: zrk

lordwalker

First Name
Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium, Macan GTS, RS5, Model Y
Seems all iPhones fit fine, maybe it's your choice in phone that's trash.

Mirror Tap.
lmao this is just blatantly false, 13 Pro Max doesn't fit in the charger at all. Source: I have one

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lmao this is just blatantly false, 13 Pro Max doesn't fit in the charger at all. Source: I have one
Oh - I was just fucking with @Mason I didn't figure this thread was going to blow up. Me and him know eachother IRL.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Heating is a normal phenomenon of inductive wireless charging, because in the process of wireless transmission, energy will be lost, and heat will be generated. It is recommended not to play with the phone while charging and pay attention to heat dissipation.

OK, so the solution is to turn the phone off. Do not listen to music (whatever random FM station you can find should suffice), do not run Waze, do not take that call from your Wife. No soup for you. Fortunately charging works just fine plugged in.

The other flaw that I've not seen anyone mention is how often I have "skips" or lag or losing the wireless connection for a few seconds at a time while Pandora or Amazon Music is playing. I'd like to skip this wireless stuff altogether and play everything through the USB cable the same as every other vehicle I own. I've yet to lose connection in a wired set up but happens often in the Supra...

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The other flaw that I've not seen anyone mention is how often I have "skips" or lag or losing the wireless connection for a few seconds at a time while Pandora or Amazon Music is playing.
I’ve not had this happen to me, though I use Spotify. Not sure about Pandora or Amazon Music.

NewGuy

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium,18 X5 M
What case are you using? I have a 13 pro max and fits fine. I have the thin clear apple case.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The other flaw that I've not seen anyone mention is how often I have "skips" or lag or losing the wireless connection for a few seconds at a time while Pandora or Amazon Music is playing.
I had this happen as well in my new car as well. I feel like it's some background app eating up cpu and ram and not flushing the memory. Could be CarPlay itself as well. What I encountered recently is I was in the car in the cold waiting for the wife, engine on, playing YT Music. No other foreground app running. Then I decided to fire up Chrome and then skipping started. Closed Chrome problem solved. Not saying it's not wireless CarPlay, but other actors in play... So many background apps syncing, etc...

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I always wondered but never researched it, probably because I won't find a simple answer, it's great that cell phone and laptop, well even car batteries charge up to a healthy 80% charge and consider it full for battery longevity, great. What I don't know is, what's the logic control mechanism that triggers recharging after a full charge? When it's down to xx% or when power draw exceeds certain amps... I'm sure it varies.
Typically they just have an on-below/off-above hysteresis to the charging circuit, so it cuts power to the battery when it exceeds say 4.1V and <0.03C, and then re-applies power when it drops below 4V, that will keep it between about 70-80% capacity. It depends on the individual circuit though, as different designers have different opinions on the best approach.

Most of my designs are solar powered at well below 1C and longevity/reliability are more important than capacity, so I typically float them at about 4.0-4.1V which is equivalent to about 80% capacity. I don't actually disconnect the battery either since my systems don't have time to hit full saturation before the sun sets and they start discharging again. When floating at 4V or less you don't really need to disconnect the battery either, saturating the cell at those voltages won't damage it like it will at 4.2V.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
I removed the cover over the charging tray. It helps with phone placement, phone stays in there just fine. Phone does get hot when charing so I don't leave it in there all the time. Wish there was a way to turn the tray off like in literally every other car that has a QI tray.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I had this happen as well in my new car as well. I feel like it's some background app eating up cpu and ram and not flushing the memory. Could be CarPlay itself as well. What I encountered recently is I was in the car in the cold waiting for the wife, engine on, playing YT Music. No other foreground app running. Then I decided to fire up Chrome and then skipping started. Closed Chrome problem solved. Not saying it's not wireless CarPlay, but other actors in play... So many background apps syncing, etc...
For me, it's usually the first 15 minutes of so of the drive. Just loses connection for a second or two every few minutes. After that, it typically stops and works fine the rest of the trip.

lordwalker

First Name
Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium, Macan GTS, RS5, Model Y
What case are you using? I have a 13 pro max and fits fine. I have the thin clear apple case.
Really? Even with no case for me it's a tight squeeze and I can't get the phone out easily once it's on the charger. I just have a thin fit magsafe case and with that on there it won't even slide into the charger anymore
Sponsored