Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
The Z4 has multiple engines(3 at last count)and the top rated engine is the one rated at 380hp. The Supra is supposedly not getting that engine.
This is the most confusing part of the Supra and Z4/5 trade off. If these cars are suppose to be somewhat identical, why a different rating?

BMW Z4/5 - Top Trim - 380 HP
Toyota Supra - Top Trim - 335 HP

Come on, Toyota. You really got the short end of the stick on this collaboration.
Give all access of your Hybrid tech (which has made you the top dawg in the hybrid business) to a bavarian company and receive an already engineered and developed engine? Who negotiated this?

How expensive would it have been for Toyota to build their own six cyl engine? This all could have gone so different...
Expense should not be a factor since Toyota is the top grossing manufacturer in the world. Coming in at over $200 billion. YEARLY.
So, yearrrhh. $1 billion on Engine Development is nothing to them.

Yeah, and you can't make a FWD I6.... Well not as easily as a V6
Funny how Volvo did it with their suv. It was heavy and jammed packed.
Sponsored

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
This is the most confusing part of the Supra and Z4/5 trade off. If these cars are suppose to be somewhat identical, why a different rating?

BMW Z4/5 - Top Trim - 380 HP
Toyota Supra - Top Trim - 335 HP

Come on, Toyota. You really got the short end of the stick on this collaboration.
Give all access of your Hybrid tech (which has made you the top dawg in the hybrid business) to a bavarian company and receive an already engineered and developed engine? Who negotiated this?
You're looking at this the wrong way, 335HP is supposed to be the Euro spec MKV

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
...well I not sure but they're probably an M version of the Z4 just like they'll probably be a GR racing version of the Supra. I'm excited for both cars, but this post above makes me want the Toyota more because of what seems like an endless amount of passion went into it and I'm a sucker for good stories. At the same time I'm willing to get Z4 if it handles just as well and gets more power at a price point that's not too crazy. I'm also a sucker for convertibles.

Still I think we'll see the Z4 undisguised next month and hopefully more infor on the Toyota side as well. Wonder if they'll also make the M version of the Z4 a hard top like the Z3 and Z4 M cars before.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's just a supra in a different guise.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
...well I not sure but they're probably an M version of the Z4 just like they'll probably be a GR racing version of the Supra. I'm excited for both cars, but this post above makes me want the Toyota more because of what seems like an endless amount of passion went into it and I'm a sucker for good stories. At the same time I'm willing to get Z4 if it handles just as well and gets more power at a price point that's not too crazy. I'm also a sucker for convertibles.

Still I think we'll see the Z4 undisguised next month and hopefully more infor on the Toyota side as well. Wonder if they'll also make the M version of the Z4 a hard top like the Z3 and Z4 M cars before.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's just a supra in a different guise.
Hopefully that means a MKV Targa top in the future!

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
Hopefully that means a MKV Targa top in the future!
Oh hell yes, I hope that comes into Fruition, I'd pre order if that was the case. However, one market that's doing worst than sedan is the convertible anything market. So we;ll have to wait to see.

althought I dunno if open top anything will be ok with the partnership. I have a feeling BMW said You build the coupe and we build roadster and leave it at that.

Last edited:

Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
As it sits there are no plans for an M version of the Z, according to BMW insiders. The last Z didn't sell nearly well enough for them to warrant an M model, but they could change their minds if the Z4 sells well enough. People who want a coupe or "M" version are basically being told to look into the Supra.

For the Z4, supposedly the EU version will have 335hp(because of new law in EU where they have a filter in the muffler) and the US version will have 380hp. I would guess the Supra to be the same.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Oh hell yes, I hope that comes into Fruition, I'd pre order if that was the case. However, one market that's doing worst than sedan is the convertible anything market. So we;ll have to wait to see.

althought I dunno if open top anything will be ok with the partnership. I have a feeling BMW said You build the coupe and we build roadster and leave it at that.
i wonder which will arrive first? The Type R refresh or the MKV
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/16/honda-civic-type-r-refresh-spy-photos/#slide-7377637

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
As it sits there are no plans for an M version of the Z, according to BMW insiders. The last Z didn't sell nearly well enough for them to warrant an M model, but they could change their minds if the Z4 sells well enough. People who want a coupe or "M" version are basically being told to look into the Supra.

For the Z4, supposedly the EU version will have 335hp(because of new law in EU where they have a filter in the muffler) and the US version will have 380hp. I would guess the Supra to be the same.
I feel you on this one, it's getting mighty confusing to me on what is an actual M car. I mean I get it but with all these M40I M30i etc etc. It's like thy're just slapping a Letter to alll cars. I mean Lexus is doing this too with the F but still it be nice to see one of those clown shoes agian in the future.,

I have a feeling that's not a refresh, but a lower trim or another trim to the Type R. Right now I believe all type R are touring trims, which kinda tells me something else is in the works.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
I feel you on this one, it's getting mighty confusing to me on what is an actual M car. I mean I get it but with all these M40I M30i etc etc. It's like thy're just slapping a Letter to alll cars. I mean Lexus is doing this too with the F but still it be nice to see one of those clown shoes agian in the future.,

I have a feeling that's not a refresh, but a lower trim or another trim to the Type R. Right now I believe all type R are touring trims, which kinda tells me something else is in the works.
I hope they do a Del Sol trim

tha7osavage

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Subaru WRX

380hp weighing in at around high 3200’s and I’m going all in for the Supra
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.