Interviews with Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada

Status
Not open for further replies.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
That's odd, the leaked codes show a total of 3 engines. Either way hopefully they will release a more powerful version with the S55 later down the road. :D
Sponsored

madfast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo X
Nick Stonawski said:
Original Post
I was at this "special" Toyota event 'Shaping the Supra' and it was a bunch of "we're not quite sure whats happening" and the NEVER called it a Supra. I got some information from some better sources and its pretty clear NO manual as of now. 4 BMW engines options and BMW does not want to give us the best one of the 4. BMW drivetrain and engine for sure.

I'm already sitting whatever it becomes out. It's pure Toyota, manual, turbo and RWD or i dont want it.

Taken from a member on SupraForums
all of this info isnt what most of us want to hear, but it makes total sense. i mean if toyota really wanted to, they could've done everything themselves. the mere fact that they teamed up with bmw on this project tells you everything you need to know... it also makes sense that bmw wouldnt want their best tech (valvetronic, etc.) in a competitor. this car will be in the same category as the M2.

the best case scenario at this point is that toyota had some input on the engine side. perhaps they used the B58 block with a 6 cylinder version of the 8AR-FTS head. integrated exhaust manifold, D4S, otto/atkinson cycle, etc. such an engine would be no slouch and possibly have that toyota reliability and mpg... there was that rumor about a joint engine. makes sense that only toyota would use it and bmw saves the S55 for itself...

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
Nick Stonawski said:
Original Post
I was at this "special" Toyota event 'Shaping the Supra' and it was a bunch of "we're not quite sure whats happening" and the NEVER called it a Supra. I got some information from some better sources and its pretty clear NO manual as of now. 4 BMW engines options and BMW does not want to give us the best one of the 4. BMW drivetrain and engine for sure.

I'm already sitting whatever it becomes out. It's pure Toyota, manual, turbo and RWD or i dont want it.

Taken from a member on SupraForums
Taken from a "member on SupraForums"...

to me this sounds like typical mk4 owners rant than anything factual.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
I think the key here is gearbox and engine. BMW S55 engine is 'old' and based on N55. It is used in in M3/M4 and will be used in M2. The reason is because N54/N55 stop production and are replaced by B58. Next generation M3/M4 gets the new S58 that is based on the B58 and debuts with the new X3/X4 M. 1/2 Series goes FWD and gets transverse I4 with "x"Drive. BMW has made it clear that the 1 M (E82) and M2 (F22) are 'lightweight' sporty alternatives to the Z3/Z4 M Coupe. The 2 Series/M2 Coupe/Convertible is the last small RWD 'sports' BMW, thus BMW's important collaboration with Toyota to get the Z4 right. No Z4, because it is not meant to be more expensive/luxurious, there is the 8 Series for that.

The Z4 debuts, without counting the I4 engines, with the new B58 I6. This is not a 'M' engine like the upcoming S58, thus the Z4 will not be a Z4 M. If there will be any is unknown. Now concerning the gearboxes, BMW has used 7 speed DCT for the M models (M3/M4/M5/M6) and the x35i. Except for current M3/M4, BMWs now all have 8 speed AUTO, all x35i/x40i models, and even new M5/M8. This will be no different for Z4 and very probably next M3/M4.

The reason why the 'Supra' might be automatic only, is because it uses a true sportscar gearbox, DCT. BMW Z4 will not have it, so where will Toyota get it? Could Toyota use the DCT gearbox that was planned for the LFA? If yes that means it would be a transaxle. But what engine would it get? BMW B58 or something else? That is the main question now. But given the transmissions, I think it is possible for them to get transaxle now. I am hoping for that.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I was there, and yes this meet and greet was not supposed to be talked about outside of those invited... there were also other meetings beyond this that were not to be discussed either (thankfully those have been kept quiet).

That said, I'm aware of several different details around this car that haven't been made public yet, but none of this information can be spoken about. I was told to stay quiet or face repercussions (the usual for something of this nature). I was also told I would be contacted when more details were available, and how my input shaped the car. I'm hoping that next time involves a test drive as the car is likely to be revealed in October.

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I understand you can say anything about this meeting. But In your opinion is it going to be impressive? and since they are taking inputs is it safe to say there are still things that can change.
I think what most folks have to understand is that this simply isn't a successor to the JZA80 or any other Supra. Certain individuals did not seem impressed with the fact that many in the US are obsessed with 1000hp straight line duty as the Supra was never designed from the factory to be those things. It was specifically designed to handle well, incorporate the latest tech, and to be a GT car; time, tuning, and the aftermarket made it into what it is today. If you read more into this, you might be able to guess the end result of these sentiments.

As far as what can be added/changed before production, my feeling is that the release candidate is already upon us, but this isn't something I asked about.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
sounds like it won't be hunting the R35. I know in 2015 the 911 was the benchmark. Hopefully it's toyota's version of a 911 carrera. I'd love a monster, but I think the LC-F will play that role.

can i ask your opinion if it sounded good? I class 'good' as an old, M six cylinder. a 2JZ with a single turbo. something a bit angry, but still organic.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
I think what most folks have to understand is that this simply isn't a successor to the JZA80 or any other Supra. Certain individuals did not seem impressed with the fact that many in the US are obsessed with 1000hp straight line duty as the Supra was never designed from the factory to be those things. It was specifically designed to handle well, incorporate the latest tech, and to be a GT car; time, tuning, and the aftermarket made it into what it is today. If you read more into this, you might be able to guess the end result of these sentiments.

As far as what can be added/changed before production, my feeling is that the release candidate is already upon us, but this isn't something I asked about.
I've had faith in this car since the first test mule

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I would really be surprised if it wasn't called a 'Supra'. I believe thats the only name they have trademarked. But than again, everyone thought the FR-S/86 was going to be the new 'Celica'.

Last edited:

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS

Thanks for that

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
I would really be surprised if it was called a 'Supra'. I believe thats the only name they have trademarked. But than again, everyone thought the FR-S/86 was going to be the new 'Celica'.
I agree with you. I don't think Toyota would want to mess with the legacy of the supra. It might be a supra successor (kind off) but might not use the name supra. Just like the Lexus SC became the LC.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I personally feel a Supra successor would be something like a TT RC-F or the new LC-F (the latter is a bit too expensive, but either way) and added to that is that they’re purely Toyota cars. Plus, the Supra always rode on a modified Soarer/SC platform and as such the cars were always closely related.

With the price point the new car is going to be at and the fact that it’s a majority BMW parts wise, I feel they should call it something else.

madfast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo X

thanks for the info. i've always assumed this car was going to be a 6 cylinder twin turbo version of the 86 anyways. people cried foul with the low power, small tires, etc. that the 86 had so i think this car will address those problems as a next step up, with a commensurate price of course.

I personally feel a Supra successor would be something like a TT RC-F or the new LC-F (the latter is a bit too expensive, but either way) and added to that is that they’re purely Toyota cars. Plus, the Supra always rode on a modified Soarer/SC platform and as such the cars were always closely related.

With the price point the new car is going to be at and the fact that it’s a majority BMW parts wise, I feel they should call it something else.
well the leaked bmw document did call it the SPX...

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
thanks for the info. i've always assumed this car was going to be a 6 cylinder twin turbo version of the 86 anyways. people cried foul with the low power, small tires, etc. that the 86 had so i think this car will address those problems as a next step up, with a commensurate price of course.

well the leaked bmw document did call it the SPX...
Sounds like logic is a strong suit of yours :)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.