Is it worth it to buy a 2020 Supra now?

George

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 Integra Type R (sold)
While I had my heart set on an A91 edition simply for the color, picking up a “gently” used CPO 2020 may be the better move here if dealers are being extra flexible on the price.
Sponsored

brystal4211

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Volvo V90 CC, 2020 Supra Premium, Mercedes GLC Coupe
Joining/reviving the conversation here instead of staring a new one.

I’m on the fence right now about purchasing a 2020. I’ve worked with a local dealer on a Premium to basically invoice less the $3,500 incentive. So MSRP of $56,140 priced at $47,700 plus tax.

For me and the way I would use the Supra, I’m not concerned about the improvements for 2021. I’m more than happy to get a great deal on a 2020. I’m more concerned about the potential hit in value to the 2020’s being higher than usual, and making sure the current discounts are reflective of that.

That of course would take a crystal ball, but certainly curious as to folks’ thoughts.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I’m more concerned about the potential hit in value to the 2020’s being higher than usual, and making sure the current discounts are reflective of that..
If I understood you correctly... if you're worried about re-sale value, don't buy any BMW/Merc/etc... You have both a 228i and GLC. What's their current KBB value?

brystal4211

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Volvo V90 CC, 2020 Supra Premium, Mercedes GLC Coupe
Wait a sec - are you telling me my German cars have lost value?

I’ve tried to buy used in those cases to mitigate the effect, but since I’m looking to buy a new Supra I’m just pondering what discounts make it worthwhile to buy the one year old model given the circumstances.

MYNEWFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Turbulence Gray Supra Premium
Hard work and perseverance always works in the end...

Enjoy!

thrilliam

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW m240i
Been contemplating on getting a 2020. Currently have an offer for 53k out the door. Premium model with driver assistance, carbon mirror caps, wheel locks, hood paint protection, and cargo tote. What do you guys think?

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Been contemplating on getting a 2020. Currently have an offer for 53k out the door. Premium model with driver assistance, carbon mirror caps, wheel locks, hood paint protection, and cargo tote. What do you guys think?
There are plenty of dealers offering $49K and below. look in autotrader or other car buying site. perhaps let your dealer know others are offering at much less. I, too, picked up my premium for less than $50K, somewhere around $53K including luxury tax, sales tax, destination fee, yada & yada.. tax around my area is ridiculous..

thrilliam

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW m240i
There are plenty of dealers offering $49K and below. look in autotrader or other car buying site. perhaps let your dealer know others are offering at much less. I, too, picked up my premium for less than $50K, somewhere around $53K including luxury tax, sales tax, destination fee, yada & yada.. tax around my area is ridiculous..
Been trying! 53k out the door takes it to about 48/49 before taxes and fees. I’ve yet to find any dealer offer 52k our the door or have beaten the 53k deal in my immediate 50-70 mile radius

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
so driving 1 hour to save some money, it will be depends on how much.. perhaps $1,000? is it worth driving 1 hour and adding 70 miles to your odo? As for me, it was well worth it even driving 2 hours (1 way) from my area to save compared to what is offered in my area... ;) I also looked at it as getting closer to finishing break-in period. :)

Pumice

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
The best price I've found in the Bay Area for a Premium with the driver's assistance package is a little under 49.

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have a quote for about $47k right now on a 3.0 premium with the driver assist and a couple dealer added options and is a 10k savings. I really plan on daily driving it only and very spirited weekend driving.

I am super conflicted because I love the price and have seen nothing but great stuff about a majority of the car (other than the people who are angry it is a BMW/Toyota collab) but I have been burned before with dodge when I bought the first model year of the dart. I know its a different company and a completly different car class, etc that they should really be compared but the hurt is still there.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I have a quote for about $47k right now on a 3.0 premium with the driver assist and a couple dealer added options and is a 10k savings. I really plan on daily driving it only and very spirited weekend driving.

I am super conflicted because I love the price and have seen nothing but great stuff about a majority of the car (other than the people who are angry it is a BMW/Toyota collab) but I have been burned before with dodge when I bought the first model year of the dart. I know its a different company and a completly different car class, etc that they should really be compared but the hurt is still there.
The 2020 isn't the first model year for the engine and transmission. And that's why people say "never buy the first year" lol. I haven't heard of ANY stock 2020 Supra's blowing an engine, so I think you'll be safe. 10k is 10k. And if I wasn't deadset on that Goddamn Refraction Blue :p, I'd have taken a deal too. I think you have nothing to worry about, other than resale value, but you're saving that up front.

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The 2020 isn't the first model year for the engine and transmission. And that's why people say "never buy the first year" lol. I haven't heard of ANY stock 2020 Supra's blowing an engine, so I think you'll be safe. 10k is 10k. And if I wasn't deadset on that Goddamn Refraction Blue :p, I'd have taken a deal too. I think you have nothing to worry about, other than resale value, but you're saving that up front.
Thanks for the input. I really am not familiar enough with all of the ins and outs of Toyota and BMWs. It is actually great to hear. I have been getting hung up too much on the year to year upgrades between 2020 to 2021 and ignored the fact that 2020 is still a highly rated car. I guess too anything that happens would be covered under warranty for at least the first 3 years assuming no modifications. I am not too worried about resale value because I really want to keep it for long term.
Sponsored