issue with the Supra in cold weather

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
Other than park in a warm area you are kinda sol for venting pressure. You might just have to close your door harder Than you would like.
Sponsored

syyc

First Name
21 years old
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra Pure800
I haven't had such issues while driving in -40 this week in Alberta. Although the gas cap has to be pre-opened while warm because it will not open when it's outside, or close.

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
All season tires are not safe below freezing tempatures, you need proper snow tires or we will find your car in another thread soon .... rwd sports car are proper fun in the winter in the north
This is absolutely true if your car is in ~20F or below then the car must be in above freezing for at least 24 hours or the radial bands can freeze and break then the tires need replaced immediately. Something you didn’t use to have to worry about from factory but todays vehicles come with tires that aren’t made for freezing climates. A lot of people aren’t aware of this, usually only car people know these little things that are quite important because the sales staff at the dealerships aren’t wanting to tell you that you’ll need new tires to use as a daily driver, they want your signature on the sales contract more than your safety.

Last edited:
OP
OP

OverRev

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 SUPRA
Thanks for all the inputs. However, I don't see why the Supra shouldn't be driven in winter. Sub-zero Celsius is common here but there are days that it doesn't snow, but just cold. I have no issue driving it in the winter with M+S tires if there is little snow, again if it snows too much I'd drive my SUV with KO2s. My only issue with the Supra is the ZF8 always keeps it in park when the door is not fully closed and the windows won't open and close when it's freezing cold (I do have a heated garage but I park it on the street at work). I never have this issue with my Z4, M3 and M2's windows... nor the shifting issue because they are all manual. As long as the shifting issue is solved I'd still drive it in winter, it's just my personal preference.

Those 19" Apex VS5RS are purposely purchased with M+S as my winter tires, I have 18" TE37 for summer. So let's not argue about car/tire selections. IMO, if one couldn't drive a RWD in light snow with M+S with decent tread.... I'd sugges to try and learn. AE86 was made a family car and guess how we drive it in northen Japan in the winters 30 yrs ago without tires specifically made for winter - practice.

Last edited:

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
Some of y'all are acting like the supra is damn 100 year old museum piece LMFAOOOOO
Reality is it's an entry level sports car a nice car nonetheless.... do I drive it as a daily no... its too impractical for me on the daily but it can be driven in winter the thing won't fall apart and die. But for the love of god some of y'all have to stop acting like your cars are some museum pieces I get taking care of it and keeping it nice but be reasonable about it because newsflash it's a normal basic modern sports car not a freaking museum piece/supercar/hypercar and the next person that has it won't give two shits that it sat on tire cushions in a climate controlled garage for half the year... enjoy the damn thing while you have it

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Some of y'all are acting like the supra is damn 100 year old museum piece LMFAOOOOO
Reality is it's an entry level sports car a nice car nonetheless.... do I drive it as a daily no... its too impractical for me on the daily but it can be driven in winter the thing won't fall apart and die. But for the love of god some of y'all have to stop acting like your cars are some museum pieces I get taking care of it and keeping it nice but be reasonable about it because newsflash it's a normal basic modern sports car not a freaking museum piece/supercar/hypercar and the next person that has it won't give two shits that it sat on tire cushions in a climate controlled garage for half the year... enjoy the damn thing while you have it
Entry sports car would be like a GR 86

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
Entry sports car would be like a GR 86
With a 5.5 second 0-60 that’s not a sports car in modern standards to me… In the 90’s that would be considered good acceleration today a stock Honda accord can do that🤷‍♂️

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
I drive mine all year also but only when it’s dry, not in the rain or snow. Makes clean up a breeze and I still get to enjoy it year round.

syyc

First Name
21 years old
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra Pure800

It's true I'm not sure why there's such a stigma around driving these cars in the snow, they honestly handle it fine as long as you don't cheap out and get good tires.

I've had more fun driving my supra in the snow and -40 weather than my awd cars.

My guess is that most of the hating posts are from people in warmer climates that don't really know how smalll of an impact snow has. Especially if you live somewhere where they no longer use salt on the roads.

58D28F20-ED7B-4689-8B97-29D9AD7FAEAF.jpeg

AP1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR
Hi fellow members, hope you're all well and safe. It's getting really cold where I live in BC Canada, often snowing and temp drops below -10C. I am having an issue operating my 2021 Supra which is very annoying and I hope to get a solution here. Due to the freezing temp, the window won't open/close to ventalize the air pressure when closing the door, and the car won't go in D or R if the door is not close completely. As soon the car moves a little the tranny goes in Park automatically, which is frustrating. I tried spraying silicone lube on the window channels and applying gummipfleger on the door seals but it did not work. I was planning to short the door pin so the car won't recognize the door is open but then my won't go up and down when I open the door at all. For the past few days I had to open the trunk a little, so I can close the door properly and luckily the car would go in gear with truck open. Does anyone know if there is a setting or coding which prevent the tranny to go in Park when the door is open? or knows of any creative way to get the window open/close in freezing temp? Thanks for your input.

media20221219-9965-ue7g25.jpeg
I used to have windows frozen in BRZ, when I owned it. There was no problem with door closing, like was mentioned by someone above - slam it harder if needed. I hope you replaced stock tires with proper snow/ice rated ones. I would not even try to drive Supra at freezing temperature on stock rubber.

3rdGearEvo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 2003 Evo VIII
Happened to me a couple times when temps got below freezing. Window won’t drop the half inch when door opens. Then the door won’t close fully because window is hitting rubber on top. Throw your seatbelt on and start driving with your heat on max. The window will eventually thaw out and drop down the half inch. Then you can fully close the door.

gcurnew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0, 2020 992 C4
I have been driving my Supra daily here in Alberta, with temperatures the last week down well into the -30s C and a heap of snowfall. I have had none of the issues the OP is experiencing.

LMAO at posters who think the Supra should be tucked away in a garage over the winter like it's some sort of exotic car. With a good set of snow tires (mine has new Pilot Alpin 5s all around) the Supra is really no different than any RWD vehicle in the marketplace when it comes to winter use. (Actually, with the short overhang the Supra has better snow/ground clearance than my 911, which is also winter driven).

I did have an issue with the supposed Toyota safety systems doing a freakout when the sensors were completely covered in road grime...sandwiched between a semi rig on one side, a car 50 feet ahead of me (plenty of room at 40 km/hr) and a concrete divider on the other side the system decided an accident was imminent and APPLIED THE BRAKES. On sheer ice, lol. Yes, it caused the car to immediately slide. Yes, I corrected it before slamming into the semi. The "safety" systems are now fully disabled every time I start the car.

Last edited:

604_A91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR SUPRA
Your ZF8 is putting it in park because your not wearing your seatbelt when the door is open.

I daily the Supra in Vancouver as well.

I waxed all the rubber seals where the window touched. This made them easier to unstick themself as the car warmed up. I also carried aspray bottle of de-icer that I would spray to help loosen it.