JB4 and Partial unlock questions

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I understand - typically objective evidence is used when making blanket claims that piggybacks are unsafe.

I just want one person to show me a datalog of a JB4 killing an engine. 🤷‍♂️
Never mind. You win. Can we lay it rest, now?
Sponsored

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Never mind. You win. Can we put it to bed, now?
Chill man! It's all good. Not trying to win anything - just want more info on the failure mode if there's a genuine risk of destroying my brand new car😅

OP
OP
AndyK5

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
91 = dont bother with jb4. ITs just too poor of octane. Go find some ethanol.

There are some gains to be had but for the price I just dont see the value if you are only running 91. To some people even a 30-40 hp bump is worth it but imo 91 typically pulls timing even in stock form.
So uhhh thanks for that Jessie. This pretty much kills the JB4 discussion for me as I don't have access to 93 regularly for street driving. I can get it at the track but I'd have to arrive with an empty tank and this will go through 2 tanks of gas especially with more boost @$10 a gallon that's $250 in fuel cost, which is a number I don't enjoy spending even for tire wear let alone gas. Ethanol...yes In theory I could cary and mix my own ethanol in to my tank and get a flex fuel kit but that is also too much hassle.

Moral of the story I don't think the gains will worth it for me at this point. Plus my car is a manual and custom map for MTs are off the table for now.

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
So uhhh thanks for that Jessie. This pretty much kills the JB4 discussion for me as I don't have access to 93 regularly for street driving. I can get it at the track but I'd have to arrive with an empty tank and this will go through 2 tanks of gas especially with more boost @$10 a gallon that's $250 in fuel cost, which is a number I don't enjoy spending even for tire wear let alone gas. Ethanol...yes In theory I could cary and mix my own ethanol in to my tank and get a flex fuel kit but that is also too much hassle.

Moral of the story I don't think the gains will worth it for me at this point. Plus my car is a manual and custom map for MTs are off the table for now.
Honestly with 91 octane I don't think you should focus on performance much at all. No matter what route ecu tune or jb4 you'll need good fuel.

Best of luck! Got plant of pretty looking parts at www.1FastSupra.com :)

OP
OP
AndyK5

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Honestly with 91 octane I don't think you should focus on performance much at all. No matter what route ecu tune or jb4 you'll need good fuel.

Thanks man, this was mostly informational for me anyways as I have never done a power mod (except like intake) on any of my track cars in the past.

I’ll check out what you guys got there on the site.

D K

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 TG

Does the ECU pull timing automatically based on the octane? Or is it something else like knock or AFR/lamda which causes timing to get pulled?

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Does the ECU pull timing automatically based on the octane? Or is it something else like knock or AFR/lamda which causes timing to get pulled?
ECU runs different timing tables depending on intake air temps (maybe more variables that I don't know of). More timing and less boost in low temps, opposite in higher temps.

Will also make timing corrections as needed when detonation/knock is detected. You would mitigate this with higher octane.

Reactions: D K

Erty

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Supra 3.0 Premium MT

Damn another con of living in cOmMiEfoRniA :)

I just want to live that dp + tune life :(