Looking at possibly getting a Supra

RedSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR86
Looking at possibly getting a Supra, but I am not sure if it is the right car for me. I have test drove a 2.0 and a Anniversary edition that was auto that was offered to me at 5k below MSRP, but without being able to really getting some decent seat time it's hard to know if this is the right direction.

First, I think I only want one in manual for the driver engagement. I do have a possible line on one coming in in a few weeks. I currently own a GR86 that I really like. I do think it could use a bit more power, but worried going FI would upset some of the handling characteristics of the car.

Anyways, the negatives I have about the Supra are no Android Auto, lack of dual climate control sync, and the lack of a rear hatch button. None of this is a deal beaker, but annoying.

I have been reading a lot on here about mods and handling. I am not chasing HP but maybe going the JB4 could be an option. What I am looking for in handling is a well balanced neutral car with driver feed back, has limited to no under or over steer and goes where you point it. I do see the Supra might have a reputation for snap over steer and the rear coming out. I'm sure most cars are like this if you push them hard enough though once you add some power.

I am not a track rat, but might track once or twice a year for fun. The nearest tacks are 3 hours away and I don't have fun twisty roads close by me. Those would be a few hours away as well. I do hope to change that in a few years if I can move.

Anyways, for someone who is looking at a manual Supra and more focused on handling, what are the mods I would be looking at to have a fun car on twist fun roads? I keep seeing sway bars, springs or coil overs, camber and alignment, and square stance. What size tires and wheels would work best for my goal if I get a Supra?

Any opinions on if this would be the right car for me or stick to the GR86 and mod it? With ICE cars like these dying off, it might be hard to get into something like these cars in a few years.
Sponsored

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT
The 2.0 is a solid step up from an 86 performance wise. A 2.0 would be heavier than an 86s, but only by a passenger (~250lbs), but it will have a lower CoG, shorter wheelbase, and a much tighter suspension feel.

The power difference is pretty substantial, despite the fact that it's only a ~30hp jump on paper. The torque delivery is totally different, and the B48 is making closer to 300hp in the real world.

The auto only is a tough one. The ZF8 is an incredible transmission. I think at 3.0L power levels, it's clearly the best trans (I say this as a MT owner), but at 2.0L power levels, it might be lacking in engagement.

I spent a lot of time in an FRS with the 2.0L, and would not buy one. The engine is just terrible and chassis doesn't make up for it. It was a huge step down from the Celica GTS I had at the time. However, I've not driven the 2.4L 86, so I'm not sure how big of an improvement it is in regular driving.

I'd take the Supra. IMHO, the 86 is overrated. I feel like it's a car that enthusiasts are obligated to gush over because they are good beginner track cars. But a lot of owners seem to be over them pretty quickly, and I think that is because a great beginner track car does not translate to a fun street car.

The biggest issue with the 2.0L Supra is that you're going to want a 3.0L. Despite what people say about less weight being more important than power in sports cars, people almost never chose the lighter, lower powered version of a car for any other reason than costs.

Think about it this way: if you add forced induction to your 86, the added weight of the FI, brakes, and bigger tires is going to make the 86 weight what the 2.0 Supra does, and the costs will be about the same. But now you have an 86 that has lost a ton of value and you'll probably be replacing parts that are breaking because they weren't designed to handle the power.

Last edited:

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
I currently own a GR86 that I really like. I do think it could use a bit more power, but worried going FI would upset some of the handling characteristics of the car.
Maybe drive a SC/turbo 86 and see if your concern is warranted.

The (3.0) Supra is a proven track machine, so your question is deeper than “how does the 3400lbs handle?”.

The nearest tacks are 3 hours away and I don't have fun twisty roads close by me. Those would be a few hours away as well
The torque and power of the (3.0) is a ton of fun outside of tracks and twisties.

If your budget can handle it, a (3.0) Supra is a great platform for whatever you want to make it into.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I would check out the BRZ tS version too coming out this year if MT is your goal.

B58 Supra and MT just does not resonate with me since the beginning.. they should've done a 2.0L Supra with BBK, LSD, and MT. That said, I love my ZF8 B58 Supra Premium.. and wouldn't have it any other way.

OP
OP

RedSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR86
I want to say I'm not looking to get a 2.0. just test drive one and while OK I know I would want the 3.0. I test drove the Anniversary edition but it was right after a snow storm so was was not able to really get the experience with how the roads where that still has some snow and slush on them.

I have a line on a MT Supra and can afford it. So no worries there. I have the quote from the dealer, but would have to confirm and put a deposit down.

If I get the Supra it would be a car I would keep for many years. Once I start moding it, the goal would be improve handling, not adding more power and why tried to focus more on that aspect of the car. I just don't want to too much power that going through winding and twisty roads in the Appalachians would feel like the car is being held back. I guess the drive a slow car fast then fast car slow thing.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Shortly after I joined this forum, I posted a request for a local Supra 3.0 owner to meet me somewhere so I could get a ride in or drive that person's Supra. Thankfully, a member drove out to my house to let me take his car on a good drive. It was only after that when I started seriously focusing on selling my car and finding a Supra.
Sometimes on owner using Turo.com will rent their Supra. I've rented many cars that way.

OP
OP

RedSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR86
I looked on Turo and those sites. There is nothing around me as I live in the Buffalo area.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Anyways, the negatives I have about the Supra are no Android Auto, lack of dual climate control sync, and the lack of a rear hatch button. None of this is a deal beaker, but annoying.
I just wanted to chime in to say that along with a few other notable annoyances, these were all on my pre-purchase wtf were they thinking? list. Having been in the car for 7,000km now I can confirm that the majority of these dumb design choices are largely non-issues. Most stuff that really irked me I coded out with BimmerCode and things like the lack of a rear hatch button and the lack of dual climate control just kind of melted away after a while.

Amongst other things, I had a BimmerTech front camera installed which required an MMI box which actually added Android Auto functionality.. although I'm sure you already know that the proper solution to the Android problem is, well.. buying an iPhone.

Anyways, for someone who is looking at a manual Supra and more focused on handling
As much as I like (and greatly prefer) my Supra, I should add that if handling in a manual is your number one priority then a Type R is going to run rings around your 86. And just quietly, it will run rings around the Supras too.. just a mite slower. 😂

djf

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra MT 45th Anniversary Edition
If a 3.0 MT is in the budget, I don’t think you’ll regret it. It’ll be tough to get a test drive though, since basically all new ones are allocated but there are probably a few used ones at dealerships out there

OP
OP

RedSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR86
I'm not looking for a fwd car so type r is out. I'm not a muscle car guy and the supra is kinda at the highest weight I may consider. I don't think I want to pay the p tax either so a Cayman is probably out, but I have looked at them and did a test drive with a used one.

I also am not going to put down $60k without test drive though.

I know the 23+ seem to have better handling from the factory minus the alignment.

For those that drive the car to the track, I assume you can get everything in the car for it with the limited space?

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
Since you're new here, I will start off with:

If you can get a manual without a tax on it, jump on it.

It drives like a 3 series BMW but tighter and lighter.

The bones are there to build something if you wanted it, but that's all on you.

Truly is kinda a blank canvass.

If you don't track much, all I'd recommend doing is some better brake pads, fluids and better tires.

If the bug bites, the amount of aftermarket support this platform has is insane.

Also you can't fully tune manual ECU's yet so keep that in mind that we're at least a few months - a year out from having the same options the auto folks have maybe.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Shortly after I joined this forum, I posted a request for a local Supra 3.0 owner to meet me somewhere so I could get a ride in or drive that person's Supra. Thankfully, a member drove out to my house to let me take his car on a good drive. It was only after that when I started seriously focusing on selling my car and finding a Supra.
Sometimes on owner using Turo.com will rent their Supra. I've rented many cars that way.
He should buy a Corvette and not an Austrian BMW/Toyota, Amiright?

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
Sounds like you know what you are getting into. I've owned my 3.0 for over 50k miles. First thing I did was get an MMI for Android Auto. Easy to install, works great, even has wireless AA. Dual climate sync, can't say I've even noticed it, but maybe that's more personal than I think. No outside trunk button, definitely garbage, but not worth cancelling the car over.

For power, it's definitely different person to person. I have a 2021 and I've never felt like I needed more power. It's plenty to do anything you described. If you want to go faster, get a motorcycle, it's a lot cheaper.

For just roads, you probably don't need to upgrade the brakes/fluid, but it will give better pedal feel/bite(required for track days). Tires are always the best upgrade imo, but like you said, square setup is what people like here, including myself. Titan makes some great wheels, but you can do a lot of shopping around depending on your budget. You would also need spacers or coilovers to avoid the tire rubbing on the front oem spring perches.

For a car at this price point it handles phenomenally. Like others have said, just get your ass in a seat. Or if you are near the Glen, go to a track day and ride along with someone who has one. Pretty sure @nibble is an instructor. Good luck!

mdpalmer

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT | 2001 DC2 Integra
Some good comments here. It's such a fun car, I genuinely enjoy every minute behind the wheel of it.

Last year, a friend of mine suggested I go drive one, and at the time I was hell-bent on not having a sports car after selling my old Viper a few years ago. I test drove an auto and immediately loved it, I instantly felt at home and couldn't wipe the grin off my face.

Quick around town, very sporty inside and out. I had to have a manual version of the supra. I wouldn't even have considered the car if the MT wasn't available.

Eveyone has a different tolerance for what's annoying or not, me personally, I have very little to complain about. The horn is kind of quiet and embarrassing (the sound), and I wish there wasn't so many electronic devices and sensors, car could lose 200 lbs or so, visibility is not the best, the piped in engine sound is totally unnecessary (easily fixed by coding out), getting good dealer service on the car can be an issue...

But really, it's just super fun, pure driving enjoyment as far as I'm concerned. I am OK with stock power, engine makes great midrange torque, it's plenty fast enough to get you in trouble, but I do think it could use another 100-200 hp 😂

Good luck in your search 🙏
Sponsored