Digitalprty

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
Hi everyone,

My plan is to have a MY2024 manual in spring 2024. What is the best way to time this purchase?

Over the weekend, I saw on the Toyota site that my local dealership got a blue 3.0 premium MT that I was hoping to test drive. I visited the dealership, but turns out, it hadn’t arrived at the dealership yet, and it was already spoken for. The rep said that the customer got “in line” for it in July 2022 and it’s just getting to the dealership in April 2023. That’s 9 months!

The rep said they get a new allocation each time one is driven off the lot. Roughly one every one to two months. I told him that I was interested in a manual 2024, but he said they don’t have 2024s yet to allocate. When they do, he said I could put a $1000 refundable* deposit to hold my place in line. (*The only catch is if an allocation comes in with my specs, and I turn it down, I lose the deposit.) This rep said they sell at MSRP. I will likely include other dealerships when I’m actively searching.

Here’s my dilemma. I’m not looking to take ownership until next spring for three main reasons:
1. I plan to pay off my DD in Jan/Feb 2024
2. Waiting for interest rates to hopefully go down
3. I’m in CT, so I won’t likely drive the Supra in winter anyway

I would like to get whatever A91 model there will be (mostly for the non-black interior), but I don’t know what exterior color options will be available for the new special edition. I’m hoping for white (which the dealer said is only 6% of cars made and really hard to get allocated), or green (fingers crossed they make one!), or maybe blue or yellow. If the A91 is too hard to get, I’m also ok with a 3.0 premium MT.

I will be putting somewhere between $20,000-$30,000 down and financing the rest.

TLDR: What is the best way to ensure I take delivery of a MY2024 MT in spring 2024?
Sponsored

Last edited:

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
Since the 2024 hasn't been announced yet it is hard to tell time frames, but I can tell you my own journey to a 2023.

I started searching in earnest for a Supra in May of last year, and had deposits down at a few dealers for what I assumed would be a 2022 by June/July. I was basically told by August that the 2022 model year was done and gone, and that I'd most likely be getting a 2023, so I decided to change my preference to a manual.

For the next few months it was basically three different dealers telling me "no allocations available". Then in mid November my preference was allocated to a dealer. Once I had my allocation I cancelled my deposits at the other two dealers and got refunds. It then took until late January 2023 for my car to be delivered.

How much of that was lingering shipping and manufacturing delays from the covid stuff, and how much of that was typical start to end manufacturing and transit times I have no way of knowing. I also think some of the time was because my preference went in between model years, and I imagine if the model year you want is in active production your time between preference and allocation/delivery may be shorter.

All that said, if you want something SPECIFIC like an A91 in a certain color, getting your preference in sooner rather than later is most likely ideal. The issue is going to be when the 2024's are announced and when you have solid confirmation of what colors or options will be available. I would imagine a lot of dealers, both good and bad, will gladly take your money in a deposit for a preference at a future unknown date, but from my own experience only one dealer out of three actually got my allocation.

Brazuca

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
The Toyota Inventory site helped me see what dealers were getting allocation. Be careful that it turns into crack really easily and towards the end, I was checking it several times a day.

My suggestion and what worked for me to get a 23 3.0 AT in about 2 months:
1. Compile a list of dealers in your area in an increasing radius.
2. Email or call all of those asking if they sell for MSRP, if there is a waiting list, and what you need to do to get on the waiting list.
3. Put a deposit down in all of the dealerships (whenever they start allowing for MY2024 deposits) ONLY if the dealership sells at MSRP and the deposit is fully refundable.
4. Wait. Potentially for a while.
5. Buy parts before you have the car
6. Get word from dealer that the car you want has been allocated to them.
7. Check the Toyota site every day 6x a day
8. Take delivery of your car!

But in all seriousness, summary is: look around for MSRP dealers and put refundable deposits down when they allow it for 2024s.

Brazuca

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD

For the next few months it was basically three different dealers telling me "no allocations available". Then in mid November my preference was allocated to a dealer. Once I had my allocation I cancelled my deposits at the other two dealers and got refunds. It then took until late January 2023 for my car to be delivered.

Really similar to my journey and solid feedback here. The only change I made is not cancel my deposit when my dealer got allocated.
We've read about some cars taking forever during the building/shipping/transporting phases, so you don't want to be stuck with no other options.

AayVeee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
does anyone know what the wait time is looking like for an order for a Supra MTs being placed right now?

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
does anyone know what the wait time is looking like for an order for a Supra MTs being placed right now?
You can't really order from Toyota. You can just have your dealer put in a allocation preference and hope they get one.

It's about 3 months from when you get an allocation to delivery though (at least on the US east coast).

dreadforge

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nitro MT
If you want a Supra get on the horse sooner than later, it could take a literally unknown amount of time to get an allocation

SupraTR

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 Premium; Mazda CX-5
Didn't read through all the other responses, but I'd find a dealer that will sell at MSRP and put down a deposit for a 2023. If you definitely don't want the car before Spring 2024 you're probably fine waiting a few months, it seems like wait times are dropping if anything. As soon as the 2024 is announced you should be able to ask the salesperson to change your preferences to be for a 2024 with whatever options you're going for. Basically you might as well get to the front of the line as fast as you can and then you should be able to just pass on cars until the timing is right.

Additionally, if the dealer is reasonably high volume they should be able to tell you how often they receive allocations and where on the list you are. My dealer received an allocation every 3-4 weeks. Its not perfect since it does come down to your preferences matching the allocation, but you can ballpark the math if you have these two data points.

My timeline was that I put a deposit down on the 2022 model year mid-June 2022. Specified a change in preference for a 2023 in October'ish (which was the plan all along). Received allocation in January, picked the car up the first week of April 2023. Worked out perfectly for me as I didn't care to pickup the car between November and March when it wouldn't be getting driven much anyway.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
To lower my financing costs, especially since rates are through the roof now. And I’m looking for lower monthly payments.
Smart right now. The market is fucked. My usual advice is put down as little as possible and pay 2% forever and invest your money in other places (a paid off car is a stupid thing to do, typically). But now.. shit.. yeah. Dump a down payment and see what happens in the next year+, refinance later.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Hi everyone,

My plan is to have a MY2024 manual in spring 2024. What is the best way to time this purchase?

Over the weekend, I saw on the Toyota site that my local dealership got a blue 3.0 premium MT that I was hoping to test drive. I visited the dealership, but turns out, it hadn’t arrived at the dealership yet, and it was already spoken for. The rep said that the customer got “in line” for it in July 2022 and it’s just getting to the dealership in April 2023. That’s 9 months!

The rep said they get a new allocation each time one is driven off the lot. Roughly one every one to two months. I told him that I was interested in a manual 2024, but he said they don’t have 2024s yet to allocate. When they do, he said I could put a $1000 refundable* deposit to hold my place in line. (*The only catch is if an allocation comes in with my specs, and I turn it down, I lose the deposit.) This rep said they sell at MSRP. I will likely include other dealerships when I’m actively searching.

Here’s my dilemma. I’m not looking to take ownership until next spring for three main reasons:
1. I plan to pay off my DD in Jan/Feb 2024
2. Waiting for interest rates to hopefully go down
3. I’m in CT, so I won’t likely drive the Supra in winter anyway

I would like to get whatever A91 model there will be (mostly for the non-black interior), but I don’t know what exterior color options will be available for the new special edition. I’m hoping for white (which the dealer said is only 6% of cars made and really hard to get allocated), or green (fingers crossed they make one!), or maybe blue or yellow. If the A91 is too hard to get, I’m also ok with a 3.0 premium MT.

I will be putting somewhere between $20,000-$30,000 down and financing the rest.

TLDR: What is the best way to ensure I take delivery of a MY2024 MT in spring 2024?
Wow, your situation reads just like mine, only another year out. My Civic Si will be paid off April 2025 and that’s when I want my fun car to arrive. The Supra is at the top of my list currently. I plan to put a deposit down this fall. Here’s how it’ll work for me, deposit down on a 2025, when they get allocation for that model year I want to be first in line and able to predict a delivery date that lines up close to that timeline. I too want Green, Yellow, or blue as my top 3, I have done white before so need to cross a different colour off my bingo card.

Based on what you said, it sounds like the dealer makes a list of people in line, when they get allocation they offer it to first in line, once that order is placed your deposit is locked in and not refundable. Sounds like a decent set up.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Wow, your situation reads just like mine, only another year out. My Civic Si will be paid off April 2025 and that’s when I want my fun car to arrive. The Supra is at the top of my list currently. I plan to put a deposit down this fall. Here’s how it’ll work for me, deposit down on a 2025, when they get allocation for that model year I want to be first in line and able to predict a delivery date that lines up close to that timeline. I too want Green, Yellow, or blue as my top 3, I have done white before so need to cross a different colour off my bingo card.

Based on what you said, it sounds like the dealer makes a list of people in line, when they get allocation they offer it to first in line, once that order is placed your deposit is locked in and not refundable. Sounds like a decent set up.
There is no order being placed just a request. You could be first in line for yellow, but dealers don't really have the ability to specifically order/request that one to come to their dealer. They just get what ever Toyota sends them any color or spec.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
There is no order being placed just a request. You could be first in line for yellow, but dealers don't really have the ability to specifically order/request that one to come to their dealer. They just get what ever Toyota sends them any color or spec.
Well that sucks. If I do end up putting a deposit down, I will only pull the trigger if the car comes with a stick and in a colour I am okay with.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
So tired of this stupid shit.
It this a deal gone wrong with BMW type shit? Assembly line only online if someone brings apple strudel or weiner schnitzel or something??
Why can't people just order. If it says 1 year ETA that's better than, will I ever get it...
Why are we not complaining about this more..
Sponsored