Making my own strut brace

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
I don't think cost is the reason in leaving out the strut brace vs the Z4, considering the Z4 is cheaper than the Supra in many regions other than the North American markets. I do think it was to do with handling and feel, if something so simple would have added to the final product that they were aiming for, they would have added it especially as the part already exists. It may have made it too firm for what they were wanting for example, they weren't aiming for an all out track car so some things like extra bracing isn't necessary, but they know people will want to install one, hence having the mounting points.
Sponsored

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
If I remember the video mentioning it, I believe it was because the test driver said with the strut brace the front was too stiff for a street car.

so either it was that reason, or its because toyota is leaving easy add on's off the initial car so they can add it themselves to later model cars as "upgrades" over previous years

POS VETT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Tacoma SR 4X4 V6, '20 Terrain SLE, '11 370Z Sport, '9 Eclipse GS, 8 Corvette Z06
Are the LH and the RH braces identical?

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
A90 Supra, Twin Turbo 350Z, NA 370Z
Are the LH and the RH braces identical?
I'd say so yeah, but I made them both separately and did the initial cutting/welding with it all on the car. So its not like I just made one and then duplicated it. So there is the chance they could be slightly different, but the angles and distances etc that I did measure, seemed to be the same.

Dunc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsches, Mercedes, toyotas
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great! I'd powder coat black and add a thin red stripe to match the engine cover.

POS VETT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Tacoma SR 4X4 V6, '20 Terrain SLE, '11 370Z Sport, '9 Eclipse GS, 8 Corvette Z06
Is there enough space to weld in a cross brace closer to the strut towers granted that the engine cover is removed?

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
Is there enough space to weld in a cross brace closer to the strut towers granted that the engine cover is removed?
I'm going to look into this when I make the next one but yeah I think there would be just about enough room. Having said this, I spoke to my engineering friend and he said its probably more useful at the front because at the rear you've already got the whole firewall connecting from side to side not far away.

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
Got it back from powder coating today so I guess this is finished now. As you can see I smoothed over the welds on the top side of the cross beam cos they were so ugly lol probably loses a little strength but this first one was more of a practice piece anyway and I'll use it as a base to make an improved version from some time in the future.

Once I've made a version I'm happy with and I've run it on my car for a while, I'll see if anyone else wants me to make one for them (probably be like half the price of the Cusco one)

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Q8_TwinTurbo

First Name
Athbi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1994 Porsche 965 Turbo 3.6, 2001 Porsche 996 Turbo, 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X
A great finished product. The strut brace looks extremely good.

Great choice of color. Very well done for the time and effort put into it. Thanks for sharing the end result.

Kindly share the difference in handling once you get some miles on your car with the strut brace.

JohnnyV541

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition Supra. 2020 4Runner, 1996 993, 2019 Street Glide
Got it back from powder coating today so I guess this is finished now. As you can see I smoothed over the welds on the top side of the cross beam cos they were so ugly lol probably loses a little strength but this first one was more of a practice piece anyway and I'll use it as a base to make an improved version from some time in the future.

Once I've made a version I'm happy with and I've run it on my car for a while, I'll see if anyone else wants me to make one for them (probably be like half the price of the Cusco one)

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG
Wow this is awesome. If you ever decide to make a few for sale, please let me know!!

swat-spence

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, Raptor - C8 Z06 allocation deposited
How does it drive with the brace? Looks good...

Felipe3sgte

First Name
Felipe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG
With this being a custom build to your car & being a solid brace (no bolt attachment for fitment tolerances), it would be interesting to see how it fits other cars (build tolerances with attachment holes).
If you need a demo, send me one & I’ll let you know how it fits :)

Last edited:

He_drives

First Name
Fayadh aldoseri
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk iv supra, r35 Gtr , ap2 s2000, s14 Silvia , gd sti, grb sti, 997.2 gt3, w12 C-GT
Vehicle Showcase
That brace looks oem!! amazing craftsmenship would love to see your next product development
Sponsored