Manual Supra vs Porsche 968

ghabe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
After almost two years of waiting, I'll finally be receiving my manual Supra in June. I ordered it since I feel it's one of my last chance to buy a new car with a combustion engine and a manual transmission. Unfortunately, this means I will likely have to part with one of my other cars to free up some space for the Supra. I'm thinking of selling my Porsche 968, since it's the car I drive the least. Although it's not a fast car, it's probably one of the most enjoyable to drive. The gearbox is smooth and accurate. The handling is awesome and the car will stick with most modern cars in the twistys despite the lack of power. Brakes and steering provide great road feedback and you can always feel what's happening with the tires. It's a driver's car. It's not comfortable and has no modern amenities, but I don't care about any of this. Now, the Supra will obviously be way faster. However, I never had the chance to drive one and I'm afraid I might regret selling the 968. Like most modern cars, I'm concerned the Supra might be too "disconnected" from the road compared the 968, not providing the same level of feedback through the steering wheel and pedals. I know it's a strange comparison, but does anyone with a manual Supra also has experience with a 968, 951 or late 944? How does the Supra compare? Does it provide an engaging driving experience like sport cars from the 90s?
Sponsored

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I'm thinking of selling my Porsche 968, since it's the car I drive the least. Although it's not a fast car, it's probably one of the most enjoyable to drive. The gearbox is smooth and accurate.
You're going to miss that gearbox: All those the Supra gearbox is the best I have ever used comments are just code for I have never actually used a properly good manual gearbox.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
That's a very nice Porsche! I haven't had direct experience with the 968, 951 or regular 944 (non-turbo) or even the 924 but you've got one of the best of the range and even though it's from another era without some modern comforts I think you would regret letting your 968 go. Porsche is committed to keeping parts and service for their older classic models apparently so that is also in your favor.

It's more 90's muscle car than sportscar but I feel similarly about my 90's Lexus SC300 5-speed (2JZ-GTE swapped). It is just old enough to have a very direct and enjoyable driving feel with nothing in the way but it is new enough and just modern enough to still be fairly normal to drive around. I am not letting it go and I've put enough into its modification and restoration to cement it staying around.

Is there no way that you can find a way to keep BOTH your 968 and your incoming MKV 6-speed? I do think you made the right choice to buy the Supra and get a new gas-only manual car while you still can. I also had the same thinking when I bought a new GR86 with a 6-speed manual last year and I'm very glad that I did in case the option for another new manual car might not be available down the road.

But... over the VERY long term what if you find that in the end it is the 968 that you would want to keep the most since it is representative of such a more simple and direct sportscar era?

The 968 is the kind of car that it is and I know the Supra MKV is more comfortable and luxurious in every way but the Porsche has been heralded as being so great to drive any time I have read about it and seen filmed reviews of the 968, 951 and non-turbo 944.

I'd think it would be a very difficult car to give up going forward.

As an aside, are you aware that Porsche Classic has a 1-DIN head unit upgrade for their older 911's which may also work with your 968's dash so as to give it a more updated media unit? Second to that there are also some excellent classic looking 1-DIN head units made by VDO/Continental which have bluetooth handsfree calling and Bluetooth audio playback.

I have one of those VDO/Continental aftermarket 1-DIN head units installed in my Lexus SC (since it looks like a nearly OEM head unit of the era) and it did much to bring a couple of modern functions to the interior in a reserved and classy way.

Last edited:

Oodis

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MT GR Supra
Bloke

if you want raw feel of transmission and steering and a car that will put a smile on your face every time you drive it, buy a a NC 2/3 MX5 (miata). Throw some coil overs, sway bars, tires and a super 200 tune.

It is hard to find a better driving car than it. They simply don't make cars like this anymore.

I prefer to drive/track it over my supra and my supra is phenomenal both on the track and on the road.

Quite simply do you prefer a drivers car that feels right or a modern day car. Dont get me wrong the manual supra is a beast.

Food for thought

OP
OP

ghabe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Bloke

if you want raw feel of transmission and steering and a car that will put a smile on your face every time you drive it, buy a a NC 2/3 MX5 (miata). Throw some coil overs, sway bars, tires and a super 200 tune.

It is hard to find a better driving car than it. They simply don't make cars like this anymore.

I prefer to drive/track it over my supra and my supra is phenomenal both on the track and on the road.

Quite simply do you prefer a drivers car that feels right or a modern day car. Dont get me wrong the manual supra is a beast.

Food for thought
It's funny that you would mention the NC MX5. My father purchased one back in 2008 and I sold it for him a few weeks ago. I must admit I wasn't expecting much and was greatly impressed by that car. Buying it from my father actually crossed my mind... However, I don't like convertibles and I'd rather just keep my 968 than buy a MX5.

Boataur

First Name
RB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91-MT CUL
You're going to miss that gearbox: All those the Supra gearbox is the best I have ever used comments are just code for I have never actually used a properly good manual gearbox.
My Focus ST and Civic Si each had a great feeling shifter and excellent clutch take up, and I’d put the Supra up against either of those any time. Better than my GTI, GLI, WRX, or Speed3. That’s my basis of comparison.

tub54500

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 MT

I had multiple cars with good gear box like the s2000 and fk8 civic type r. While the manual supra is not as notchy as those, i would still have to say its still pretty good even though the throw is a bit longer. I would say tho that the gear from 1 to 2 is not always consistent and it's sometimes hesitant

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
This. The Supra shifter is better than BMW, but any Honda shifter is way better. My Veloster N even has a much better shifter. The Supra still has some rubbery and vague feeling.

gbreezer80

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR MT
After almost two years of waiting, I'll finally be receiving my manual Supra in June. I ordered it since I feel it's one of my last chance to buy a new car with a combustion engine and a manual transmission. Unfortunately, this means I will likely have to part with one of my other cars to free up some space for the Supra. I'm thinking of selling my Porsche 968, since it's the car I drive the least. Although it's not a fast car, it's probably one of the most enjoyable to drive. The gearbox is smooth and accurate. The handling is awesome and the car will stick with most modern cars in the twistys despite the lack of power. Brakes and steering provide great road feedback and you can always feel what's happening with the tires. It's a driver's car. It's not comfortable and has no modern amenities, but I don't care about any of this. Now, the Supra will obviously be way faster. However, I never had the chance to drive one and I'm afraid I might regret selling the 968. Like most modern cars, I'm concerned the Supra might be too "disconnected" from the road compared the 968, not providing the same level of feedback through the steering wheel and pedals. I know it's a strange comparison, but does anyone with a manual Supra also has experience with a 968, 951 or late 944? How does the Supra compare? Does it provide an engaging driving experience like sport cars from the 90s?
Do you have photo's of your 968? what year and how much are you asking?

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
One of the most connected cars I have driven was a 2021 Lotus Evora GT. I've also driven a 2020 Porsche 911 S, which was not quite in the same league as the Lotus. That 911 was faster; it's just that it was a bit numb compared to the Evora.

The Supra is a different animal, since it is front engine. The view out is more like my MX5's with its top up, so that aspect does not bother me. Given a choice between the 911 and the Supra, I'd take the Supra. It just feels so special at any speed. May some of that is due to its exclusivity - a big plus to me. The other part is that Supra owners seem to be more active at C&Cs and local meetups.

Why don't you request a drive in a local owner's Supra? That's what I did before I bought my car.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
This. The Supra shifter is better than BMW, but any Honda shifter is way better. My Veloster N even has a much better shifter. The Supra still has some rubbery and vague feeling.
I had multiple cars with good gear box like the s2000 and fk8 civic type r. While the manual supra is not as notchy as those, i would still have to say its still pretty good even though the throw is a bit longer. I would say tho that the gear from 1 to 2 is not always consistent and it's sometimes hesitant
I agree. I daily a 15 year old Honda and it's gearbox (even after all this use) is light years beyond the Supra. Having said this, the transmission in the manual Supra isn't particularly bad (other than the 1-2 shift*) but it is just disappointing to see how far behind it is compared to decades old gearboxes.

*I will say it again elsewhere, but: Despite having been a staunch opponent of deleting the CDV, I have to admit that after deleting the CDV.. well, I think it has actually drastically improved the reliability of the Supra's 1-2 shift. 😅

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
I haven't driven any of the Porsches you listed.

However, I have driven a 72 911 S, 964 C4S, 993 Turbo, 997.1 GT3 RS, 997.1 GT3, 997.1 Turbo, 987.1 Cayman S, 981 GT4, 718 GT4, and a few newer ones.

So I can say with great confidence, that the manual Supra doesn't really compare to those cars in terms of feel.

It's technically a new BMW so the steering sucks, the shifter is okay at best, visibility is garbage, and ergonomics are atrocious.

But it's cheaper, has a warranty, and most importantly, it's newer and easier to modify.

So that's the catch 22.

If you want visceral and engaging, this car ain't it.