Manual Trans MKV Tuning Questions and (Hopefully) Answers Thread

Flann-man

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Subaru Outback XT. 23 A91-MT CU Later
JB4 is a piggyback solution for the Supra. I have been researching it for myself due to my MT being my daily and don’t want to send the DME off to femto to get it unlocked. It taps between several sensor connections under the hood to intercept and allow modification to the signal the DME sees.

https://burgertuning.com/products/jb4-for-a90-toyota-supra

JB4 is another can of worms that can be simplified by either just running the base maps, or getting a custom tuned map 6.

This is link to the specific forum for the B58/48 JB4:
https://www.jb4tech.com/forum/model.../4984-jb4-b48-b58-firmware-settings-and-notes

There is a bunch more to explain about it, but those sites can answer most questions about it.

Pizza

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazda Rx-8, 2023 Nocturnal 3.0 Premium (MT)
Since this is a thread dedicated to the MT I'd like to point out that I believe @kingdooksdb is the only forum member who has tried a JB4 with an MT so far and said that he was having issues, even when on a custom map 6 from Jesse. So that may not be a good option until some kinks get worked out.

kingdooksdb

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Since this is a thread dedicated to the MT I'd like to point out that I believe @kingdooksdb is the only forum member who has tried a JB4 with an MT so far and said that he was having issues, even when on a custom map 6 from Jesse. So that may not be a good option until some kinks get worked out.
I have heard some murmurs that you have to reach out to burger tuning specifically to iron out the issues. Idk how true that may be. My BM3 tune is phenomenal though

GRSupraguy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT Supra, Jaguar F-Type R
Sounds like you’re trying to go oem ++ like me. I was hesitant to send out for unlock but realized in the long run the Femto unlock is the best option. Jb4 even with special tunes seem to make the manual tranny and even automatics Supras not run as smooth as oem. I’m trying to get the most power as I can out of stock turbo and on 93 pump with only bolt-ons. No extra fuel etc, while trying to maintain oem smooth acceleration with no hiccups. I’m expecting 440-450ish whp after unlock with BM3 ots stage 2, which to my understanding is basically dp, although I am already running hks intake and hks exhaust and hope to eek out a little more power with those additional bolt-ons. I will post back or you can DM and I can let you know how everything goes. Good luck.

OP
OP
rammjaeger

rammjaeger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MKV Supra Manual, 1996 MKIV Supra Turbo 6 SPD
Sounds like you’re trying to go oem ++ like me. I was hesitant to send out for unlock but realized in the long run the Femto unlock is the best option. Jb4 even with special tunes seem to make the manual tranny and even automatics Supras not run as smooth as oem. I’m trying to get the most power as I can out of stock turbo and on 93 pump with only bolt-ons. No extra fuel etc, while trying to maintain oem smooth acceleration with no hiccups. I’m expecting 440-450ish whp after unlock with BM3 ots stage 2, which to my understanding is basically dp, although I am already running hks intake and hks exhaust and hope to eek out a little more power with those additional bolt-ons. I will post back or you can DM and I can let you know how everything goes. Good luck.
Thanks! Yes I am trying to go oem ++ for sure like you - stock turbo and 93 octane with bolt-ons. I just sent my DME to EPC to go with them to FEMTO for an unlock. Now trying to decide between BM3 or MHD.

Erty

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
Any reason you went BM3 over MHD?

chaoscentral

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Wait? I thought you can run BM3 racerom on the gen 2 B58s? It even says so on the BM3 website.
Yes and No.

If you have an unencrypted ECU most definitely. If you have an encrypted ECU with just a femto unlock, currently calibration only.

However they(Protuningfreaks) just gave Femto the nesecary code to enable CustomROM on the S58.

They have also publicly stated they are bringing that change to other platforms Gen 2 B58 included as they update their code base. So not yet.

GRSupraguy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT Supra, Jaguar F-Type R
I did a bit of research on both and was undecided..then the shop I am using suggested BM3 and so I went with it.

barasoap

First Name
Niel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91 MT
I ended up with both BM3 and MHD super licenses. If you are planning to run OTS maps for an extended period of time then MHD is absolutely amazing. The maps feel MUCH better than BM3. I have had some issues flashing on MHD but they say they will have them ironed out in the next update of the app. If you're getting a custom tune, then none of that matters and you should go with what your tuner wants.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Great thread! Now I know this is something I would never do 😂 . I was just reading a how to get the positive red cap off the battery terminal thread prior to this…. Feeling better about my Jesse custom tune JB4. More power gain than I was expecting and can email Jesse when I add my upgraded heat exchanger or want to tune it down if I ever get crazy enough to track in hotter conditions.
Sponsored