Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Has nothing to do with android OS. Its all to do with Google's fraud filter

Pick up a google play card from any rite aid or cvs or anywhere that sells gift cards
Sponsored

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
OK. Trying to do my first MHD flash. I pushed the start button three times quickly in succession but the system still turns off after about five seconds. How do I know when it is in diagnostic mode?

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Apparently I just wasn't fast enough on the button. I did enter Diagnostic Mode and started the flash. After several minutes I got a message saying it couldn't erase ECU and a drivetrain malfunction warning appeared on the dash. Now the engine won't start! What a complete disaster this has been. Is my ECU fried? Justin please chime in.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently I just wasn't fast enough on the button. I did enter Diagnostic Mode and started the flash. After several minutes I got a message saying it couldn't erase ECU and a drivetrain malfunction warning appeared on the dash. Now the engine won't start! What a complete disaster this has been. Is my ECU fried? Justin please chime in.
Try to flash your stock tune. Put the car on a battery charger/supply, enter diagnostic mode, put your seatbelt on, and then try flashing again.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Miraculously after connecting a battery charger I was able to flash back to the stock tune and engine started. Since I did not have the charger connected the first time I thought maybe that was the problem so I decided to try to flash the custom tune again. After 30 or so seconds it said Failure to authenticate and my car was dead again. Fortunately I was able to dodge a second bullet and flash back to stock but that's enough excitement for one day. Is it possible the tune file is corrupt? I did all this before reading your message so I didn't buckle my seatbelt. Is that significant?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Miraculously after connecting a battery charger I was able to flash back to the stock tune and engine started. Since I did not have the charger connected the first time I thought maybe that was the problem so I decided to try to flash the custom tune again. After 30 or so seconds it said Failure to authenticate and my car was dead again. Fortunately I was able to dodge a second bullet and flash back to stock but that's enough excitement for one day. Is it possible the tune file is corrupt? I did all this before reading your message so I didn't buckle my seatbelt. Is that significant?
So, as far as I've read (and I'm no tuner, nor am I well versed in BMWs) that if the seatbelt isn't buckled, the car will go back into "standby/sleep" mode after a couple of minutes and turn the DMEs off. Additionally, BMW forums all say that you need to have the car on a charger/supply while flashing because apparently the electronics can draw up to 25A just sitting there. Almost all instances of failed flashes on BMW forums are due to those two things, or a bad cable.

I'd say that a corrupted tune file is unlikely, but I suppose its worth re-downloading just to be safe (are there MD5 checksums you can check for tune files??), then making sure you have ample battery power, ensuring its on the charger, and then trying again.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Here's another piece of info that just occurred to me. I bought my car a few weeks ago from a dealer in Sacramento but it had sat on the lot for four months and had 10 miles. The first time I started the engine a dash message said to Replace Battery though it started fine. I told the salesman. He said the battery was under warranty and I could have it looked at when I got home to Fresno. I took it to the dealer here. He ran a diagnostic, put a charger on it, cleared the code and called it good.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just to be sure I charged the battery for several hours and left the charger connected at 10 amps. Voltage in MHD is 12.66v. This morning when I tried to flash, after a few seconds it said Section Not Validated or words to that effect. The flash back to stock proceeds fine so I would think my hardware situation is OK.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
To finally rule out a voltage issue I bought a new battery charger and had it set for 20 amps. The MHD read 13.2v and the same thing happened.

satindragon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
The dealership likely applied the latest ECU/DME firmware to your car which isn't currently able to be flashed over OBD2. What you're describing is exactly what I experienced when trying to flash with VF Engineering's tune. After it failed I tried to use bootmod3 and was told by their tech team that my DME version is one of the newer versions that can't be flashed over OBD2 without a bench unlock.

I ended up getting the car tuned locally with a bench unlock and stacked a JB4 on top of the stage 2 tune. I use the JB4 for logging and to raise the boost when running E30. The combo works well.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well, I can tell you that my car sat on the dealer lot for 4 months before I bought it and they did nothing to it during that time, as evidenced by the fact that it had a "Replace Battery" dash message the first time I started it.

satindragon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
All I'm saying is what you're describing sounds like the error messages that happen when dealing with one of the newer ECU firmware revisions. I believe the updated firmware was made available in November so even if they didn't update it immediately prior to selling you the car, it may have been done in PDI.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twisted Tuning

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
The seat belt does not have to be buckled during the flash. However if you open or close the door during the flash it will fail dude to that action shutting off electronics. If you put the car into diagnostic mode without doing anything for 60 seconds or so, the car will turn itself off.

First flash should be done with a charger. Especially if the battery is questionable. If you get a failed to authenticate error, completely kill the app and try again. You also dont have to flash back to stock on a failed flash, you can simply retry the flash you were trying.

If you think the car was flashed at the dealer. Read codes with MHD and send or post a screenshot of all the info it shows once codes are read. May sure device is in airplane mode.
Sponsored