MHD vs ECUTEK

A90alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I Know Ecutek is supposedly the top tier tuning platform for the Supra. I am currently running MHD. I have a tunable model and on my MHD it’s showing M1 version so I have a two port. My question is, does anyone know when the features that’s the 6 port have will become available on the two port and also if I was to switch to Ecutek, if I flash back to stock on MHD will it lock my ECU. Thanks!
Sponsored

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
I Know Ecutek is supposedly the top tier tuning platform for the Supra. I am currently running MHD. I have a tunable model and on my MHD it’s showing M1 version so I have a two port. My question is, does anyone know when the features that’s the 6 port have will become available on the two port and also if I was to switch to Ecutek, if I flash back to stock on MHD will it lock my ECU. Thanks!
I believe you need to get a bench unlock for ECUTEK even though you’ve previously been unlocked…

I have MHD and a 6 port..
I’m currently awaiting features such as anti lag, flex fuel..

I thought the first gen b58 got these features?

I secretly regret getting MHD..seems they’re way behind other platforms..
Wish I would’ve went ECUTEK just for the things you can do with it..
BUT I’ll wait it out because I’m not paying twice (I’m a cheap ass)..
I should’ve done more research or listened to the people that say go Ecutek

Steve

OP
OP
A90alex

A90alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I believe you need to get a bench unlock for ECUTEK even though you’ve previously been unlocked…

I have MHD and a 6 port..
I’m currently awaiting features such as anti lag, flex fuel..

I thought the first gen b58 got these features?

I secretly regret getting MHD..seems they’re way behind other platforms..
Wish I would’ve went ECUTEK just for the things you can do with it..
BUT I’ll wait it out because I’m not paying twice (I’m a cheap ass)..
I should’ve done more research or listened to the people that say go Ecutek

Steve
Yeah, this sounds like the consensus between people that Ecutek is better. I just can’t see spending almost 2k on a flex fuel sensor and tuning. I don’t know what the hold up is with the two port design compared to the six port?

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I just can’t see spending almost 2k on a flex fuel sensor and tuning.
Pour one out for your locked ECU B58 brothers. $3700 just to get a new ECU in the car that can have the option of being unlocked. Stack on another $1500 minimum just to get to OTS tunes on the ECUTEK, then another $2k minimum for full PI and flex fuel

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Ecutek is quite a bit more expensive to get into at the start. I paid less than $1,600 out the door to have my car bench unlocked, a downpipe purchased AND installed, MHD flashed onto my car, and two dyno runs to get some before and after results. The shop I went to charged me $400 for a bench unlock on my car. I later added a Fuel-It Ethanol Analyzer as well which cost about $200. I then decided to go with an MHD custom tune on E40 and it cost me $450 from Fabian @pureboost.de. That's roughly $2,000 total including the cost of a $400 downpipe, the bench unlock, the MHD License, the Fuel-it Ethanol Analyzer, and the custom E blend tune. If I had stayed with the Off The Shelf tunes, I would have been closer to $1400 total because I wouldn't have needed the Ethanol Analyzer and wouldn't have paid the extra $450 for the custom tune.

Just to put things into perspective, it's $950 for Ecutek, $650 for Visconti's Flex Fuel Kit, which is the best one on the market if using Ecutek, and $800 for an Ecutek Custom tune. That's $2,400 dollars without the cost of a Bench Unlock and doesn't include a downpipe. If you were to include the cost of the Bench Unlock and a downpipe, you're looking at over $3,000 easy to get your foot in the door with Ecutek from start to finish.

It depends on what you're looking for when comparing the two.

*MHD = Easier to get into from a monetary stand-point, fantastic and super easy to navigate UI, and fantastic off the shelf tunes. Great for beginners and people who want a very easy setup. Will eventually have all of the features Ecutek has currently. MHD is already working on Anti-Lag and their own Flex-Fuel integration setup that are both supposed to release this year. Tunes seem to produce a bit less power over all compared to Ecutek.

*Ecutek = Further along in development meaning you get access to a lot of features that MHD currently lacks, and the tunes usually end up producing a bit more power. Generally has more functionality options for the more advanced users and people looking to build their cars higher and higher.

TLDR: If you want something simple, and basic bolt on's and an OTS map or good solid custom map are fine for you, MHD can get you there and will work just fine. MHD also does have custom tuning support for Pure800 turbo upgrades, running Methanol, and all that good stuff.

If your future plans involve huge, expensive builds, start with Ecutek and don't back. It's more advanced and has more capabilities for future-proofing and very high horsepower builds.

Last edited:

Zack

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Absolute Zero White 2020 Toyota Supra
Yeah, this sounds like the consensus between people that Ecutek is better. I just can’t see spending almost 2k on a flex fuel sensor and tuning. I don’t know what the hold up is with the two port design compared to the six port?
I have a 2020 that has 17k miles and I just decided to start modding it. I purchased an Active Autowerkes Catted Downpipe and was originally going to cheap out and go MHD, I bought the wireless adapter and everything. After I received my downpipe I did a little bit more research and contacted Marshall from Visconti and he answered every question I had about Ecutek and their options. I sent them my DME yesterday to get unlocked and have Ecutek loaded onto it and I will receive it Monday and I cant wait to see the results. Even though I haven't received it yet I know I did the better thing purchasing Ecutek instead of cheating out on MHD, and it will be worth it in the long run.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have a 2020 that has 17k miles and I just decided to start modding it. I purchased an Active Autowerkes Catted Downpipe and was originally going to cheap out and go MHD, I bought the wireless adapter and everything. After I received my downpipe I did a little bit more research and contacted Marshall from Visconti and he answered every question I had about Ecutek and their options. I sent them my DME yesterday to get unlocked and have Ecutek loaded onto it and I will receive it Monday and I cant wait to see the results. Even though I haven't received it yet I know I did the better thing purchasing Ecutek instead of cheating out on MHD, and it will be worth it in the long run.
MHD isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. It's only marginally behind Ecutek in power delivery from their tunes to be honest. It's also not a matter of making the "right" decision, it's mostly a matter of what you are looking to get out of the car. MHD is easier to get into and costs quite a bit less. Ecutek is a more advanced platform with plenty of room to grow and costs a considerable amount more. It depends on the person honestly.

I went with MHD because originally I thought a custom tune on E40 would be where I stopped, and currently it is. My car runs like a dream and is plenty fast enough. The tune is fantastic. There are several hellcats near where I live that don't like me very much. I have surprised quite a few people with this car, including a C7 Z06, but that car was definitely stock.

Ecutek is definitely superior that's for sure, but it is not required.

Zack

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Absolute Zero White 2020 Toyota Supra
MHD isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. It's only marginally behind Ecutek in power delivery from their tunes to be honest. It's also not a matter of making the "right" decision, it's mostly a matter of what you are looking to get out of the car. MHD is easier to get into and costs quite a bit less. Ecutek is a more advanced platform with plenty of room to grow and costs a considerable amount more. It depends on the person honestly.

I went with MHD because originally I thought a custom tune on E40 would be where I stopped, and currently it is. My car runs like a dream and is plenty fast enough. The tune is fantastic. There are several hellcats near where I live that don't like me very much. I have surprised quite a few people with this car, including a C7 Z06, but that car was definitely stock.

Ecutek is definitely superior that's for sure, but it is not required.

I completely understand what you are saying and I agree, MHD is a great option for the lower price tag and what I've read it is better than its other competitors in that price range. I just decided to go the Ecutek route for the longevity and so I wouldn't have any hassle if I attempted to upgrade to it later down the road (You need to get unlocked again ontop of buying Ecutek)

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
MHD/BM3 is a shitty tuning experience for the tuner, where Ecutek is a "shitty" (though it's actually amazing) experience for the driver. The gen2 B58 obviously is lacking some features that MHD has, but they'll come eventually. You tuner will be able to deliver a much better tune using Ecutek. If you plan on only using OTS maps, then.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You tuner will be able to deliver a much better tune using Ecutek.
I think this depends on the tuner, no? If you find an experienced tuner who knows how to use MHD very well, perhaps they can deliver a very good tune? Maybe I need to swap to Ecutek so that I can see the difference for myself. The problem with that is, I just reached out to Visconti and was quoted $2,400 to swap over to Ecutek with their Flex-fuel kit. That's a lot of money for marginal gains at this point in the venture.

My MHD tune has been pretty amazing since I went custom tune, I've had 0 issues and the car runs strong! That being said, I haven't had an Ecutek car to run against and I haven't tried Ecutek on my own car. Maybe I could invest in the Ecutek route, that way I can try both.

OP
OP
A90alex

A90alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
These are all very good points to consider. I don’t plan on going huge gains, mostly around 600-650 at this point in time. I might wait it out and just pick up a fuel it analyzer and wait for the E40 OTS to be released and see how I like it then go get it dynoed and then possibly have a tuner work some magic. I guess for now I’ll just play the waiting game.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
don’t plan on going huge gains, mostly around 600-650 at this point in time.
I mean, 600-650 is a pretty big gain. Not huge huge, but it's pushing a Pure800 pretty hard, you'll need port injection, trans, etc. Ask your tuner the best way to reach your goals and just go that way.
Sponsored