Misaligned rear LCA bolt to hub assembly.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
couldnt do mine till i used a jack for support
Sponsored

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Use a jack to align the nut side first and then poke a metal spike through to align the other side. Adjust as needed.
Yes working on car suspension isn't like surgery, more like butchery sometimes. Lots of rubber pivots and other influences come into play. The best way is often to have a hole alignment tool or guide which is a longer piece of bar the same OD as the mount bolt but without threads and a rounded bullet shaped nose. You insert it in the side with the best hole alignment and use the extra length as a lever as you hammer it through and the bullet shaped nose engages the other side of the member even if misaligned and pulls it into alignment. Once the alignment tool is through you simply tap it back through with the mount bolt while the tool/guide holds everything in place. Any piece of steel rod with the end rounded off on a grinder will do the job. The more misaligned the longer the guide tool needs to be for leverage.

Phil

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Mine sucked as well, but I got both sides with a combination of a jack for support, a pry bar at just the right angle, and I believe I used a ball peen to knock the bolt in. I do recall almost calling my brother in law to come over and help add another hand and some muscle but ended up getting it.

I agree with the other ideas as well - if itā€™s just not going to go, removing the toe arm and maybe sway bar end link could help. Also, how about a ratchet strap to pull the control arm forward? Suspension work is rediculous and requires more Neanderthal skills than intelligence šŸ¤£

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I used a jack to lift up the arm and then my leg to push out the knuckle to get it all to line up.

It was pretty tedious but I got it.

OP
OP
MrAnalogRobot

MrAnalogRobot

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV, G80 M3, MB GLA250, Mazda CX-9
I really appreciate all the tips and insights. I won't get to the car again, likely until Saturday. I'm going to try loosening the camber bolt (sounds like inside bolt where LCA connect to subframe) and disconnecting the sway bar end link for more play as well, if necessary.

I also realized that I have the car on jack stands with the opposite wheel still on. I am wondering if that is a newbie mistake, as I can imagine it maybe putting angle or force on the side I'm working on with the extra weight of the wheel and tire hanging.

Either way, I'll report back with updates after I take another crack at it in a few days. I really appreciate everyone's help here!

dn00

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK7 GTI, A90
Yes working on car suspension isn't like surgery, more like butchery sometimes. Lots of rubber pivots and other influences come into play. The best way is often to have a hole alignment tool or guide which is a longer piece of bar the same OD as the mount bolt but without threads and a rounded bullet shaped nose. You insert it in the side with the best hole alignment and use the extra length as a lever as you hammer it through and the bullet shaped nose engages the other side of the member even if misaligned and pulls it into alignment. Once the alignment tool is through you simply tap it back through with the mount bolt while the tool/guide holds everything in place. Any piece of steel rod with the end rounded off on a grinder will do the job. The more misaligned the longer the guide tool needs to be for leverage.

Phil
Yeah this part is why springs install can be tricky. I spent 3 hours trying to get the bolt through and once I realized I can use a metal spike I have lying around to help align, it was done in 30 seconds.

OP
OP
MrAnalogRobot

MrAnalogRobot

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah this part is why springs install can be tricky. I spent 3 hours trying to get the bolt through and once I realized I can use a metal spike I have lying around to help align, it was done in 30 seconds.
I'm going to pick up a tapered punch to try as well since multiple people mentioned this method. Thanks!

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Sometimes it goes in magically... then other times it can be B$$$$. Many others had great suggestions and here are few of mine.

- make sure you are on jack stand as well as on a jack for secondary safety. - you may need to crawl under the car..
- make sure you have correct bolts. - not likely but make sure you are using right bolts & nuts. Also the direction though it should not matter..
- use a jack with good wheel to support hub. move up and down and side ways to align holes correct.
- It might be easier to align LCA/Hub bolt first than the other way.
- you probably already know but don't tighten any nuts until all bolts are in.
- Once all bolts are in, torque it properly.

hope you get it in nicely. I had passenger side gave me PIA but the other side went in in one shot on my friend's supra.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Yes the spike works OKish but as you tap the fastener through from the opposite side and drive the tapered spike out the tape allows the bush to misalign to a degree as it moves through the opposite hole. The rounded nose parallel tool works better. The idea with the parallel alignment guide is to tap the fastener almost all the way through until the rounded end is about to leave the rubber bushed section and then quickly drive the fastener the last inch or so home so the rounded end doesn't influence the alignment as it leaves the hole. So tap, tap, tap then check the remaining distance to go and then one whack the last inch or so. This system not only keeps things aligned but also preserves the threads on the fastener. It's always bad when you fight a bolt like this and finally get it there only to find you've destroyed the threads.
Phil

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Tried both, literally for hours. Can get a screwdriver through, but can only adjust the hub out far enough for 1/2 the back side hole to be aligned if the front is aligned enough to take the bolt. I'm a fairly strong guy, buddy helping me is more experienced and even stronger, but I don't think force alone is going to solve this for me. It definitely seems mine is not normal, after seeing videos and hearing other people's accounts of getting it through.

An old thread suggested loosening inside LCA bolt to subframe, so I'll try that next. I only get to where the car is 1 day each week, so hoping for as much advice and new ideas as I can get.
yo man, I think we chatted on Reddit actually. If you didnā€™t get it sorted, check the MSS install video. They approach the rear totally different. Fast forward to 16:00.

OP
OP
MrAnalogRobot

MrAnalogRobot

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yo man, I think we chatted on Reddit actually. If you didnā€™t get it sorted, check the MSS install video. They approach the rear totally different. Fast forward to 16:00.
Just watched, trying this now. Took a break after trying with the rear sway disconnected and realized that won't help the angle I need. The hub seems held very solid as far as toe/camber. Going to try disconnecting at camber bolt like the video you suggested now. I'll be back later!

Thank you for adopting my cause here and helping me out so much!

OP
OP
MrAnalogRobot

MrAnalogRobot

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Timmy_Jones, your are a hero today. Removed camber bolt like the MSS video, got the troublesome bolt fed through, and camber bolt was much easier to feed through last due to the slack in the hole of the LCA for adjustment. Just have to button that side up and do the other rear the MSS way.

Thank you!!

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Timmy_Jones, your are a hero today. Removed camber bolt like the MSS video, got the troublesome bolt fed through, and camber bolt was much easier to feed through last due to the slack in the hole of the LCA for adjustment. Just have to button that side up and do the other rear the MSS way.

Thank you!!
My man. Awesome news! Make sure to post some before and after shots for us. I just got mine back from an alignment and lowering just makes it a brand new car. I did let mine settle for a week and drove maybe 20 miles total before an alignment to lets the springs settle. I went with Whiteline
IMG_1230.jpeg

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Fantastic!!! Weā€™ve all been there, and I know the feeling of having a breakthrough like that. Get it buttoned up, post some pics, and go for a drive or two this weekend!
Sponsored