New Toyota Supra rumored to get Toyota twin turbo V6 engine

Would you pay $50k-$60k for a 350-400hp "Supra"?

• Yes

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Maybe, depends on other factors like weight, styling and etc.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
:umbrella::grouphug:
i totally missed that.

X2, it does sound like every rumor combined into one article.

agreed, a lot of it does sound like BS. i especially call BS on the 4 banger rumors. i think if they were to build such a model than it would be stepping on the toes of the 86, and possible limit any future power increase. i'll be happy with two trim levels, a V6 turbo for me and V6 hybrid for the tree huggers.
I really really desperately want this to be some slapjob regurgitation of everything else on the web article, but this is autocar which I ordinarily think is about on par with a caranddriver. At the very least far more legitimate than a complete clickbait horseshit horsepowerkings or a not-purposely-deceptive-but-incredibly-lazy jalopnik.

But four different drivetrain options just seems completely beyond the scope of Toyotadom. Two separate powerplants honestly would have been surprising to me, let alone four brand new setups. They simply won't have the volume like a Ford Mustang to have four options, and even if they did have the volume, it's Toyota they're going to cheap out and take a safe bet.

I know FT1 was never going to be a GTR beater or a Hellcat competitor, but I always thought the Supra would continue competing against heavyweights like the Corvette and the 911 like the previous Supra Turbo. But 242 horsepower 4cyl and a 350 hybrid with a one-day-maybe 400 horsepower V6 is a far cry from the japanese supercar FT1 we saw on stage, in interviews and drove in Gran Turismo. The spied benchmark with Toyota plates was literally a 911 GT3RS.

I think I have to hold out hope for the real press releases. And keep praying.:grouphug: :patriot::umbrella:
Sponsored

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i think the only rumor they left out was the BMW I6. i dont want it too happen but it could very well be possible. in my opinion the hood looks pretty long. if they wanted to go with a V6 wouldn't the hood be shorter like the FT-HS?

Last edited:

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Looks BMW ugly: huge wheel archs with tucked-in small wheels, long front overhang, long rear overhang, high hood line with dropping nose, cheap BMW side view mirrors,...

Reactions: HKz

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i think it looks proportional to the old Supra. the hood and fenders are a little high yes, but there could be panels added under the camo to throw us off.

toyota-supra-005.jpg

Last edited:

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
is it just me or does it look like that LFA prototypes has Supra mirrors, and the LC looks it is using the RC-F's mirrors as a place holder.

Last edited:

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
The thing is, for aero reasons, Toyota now mostly uses door mounted mirrors. Even the the mirrors on the LFA and LC prototypes were not final design, they were still door mounted. BMW on the other hand, uses window mounted mirrors (except on i8 for obvious reasons), and this is what the BMW/Toyota prototype has.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just a theory here but I wonder if the rear wheel arches/shoulders have anything to do with the mirrors being placed by the window instead of the door. Possibly a few extra CM of clearence view?

But with Toyota showing as much as they have lately I think we'll see the production at Detroit next month. They did the same with the LC500 proto type showing it around late last year to reveal this year. Lexus stole the show this year, I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota tries to steal the show next year. We'll see, hoping it's not a let down.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX

El Toro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus IS
Still a month before Detroit so still time to tease something Supra related... cmon Toyota!

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Surprisingly, though, the LS doesn't use the LC's powertrain. Under the hood is a completely new twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 that pumps out 415 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque. That puts it down on power, but ahead in torque compared with the LC's V8. It's also significantly more than the previous LS' V8, and Lexus predicts it will be capable of a 0-60 mph time of 4.5 seconds with rear-wheel drive. A Lexus PR representative also said the LS is only being released with the V6. We doubt it would be hard to drop one in later though if Lexus saw demand.
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/09/2018-lexus-ls-turbo-v6-redesign/

Lexus-LS-18-33.jpg

Last edited:

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Now we just have to figure out if this is actually going into the Supra or if someone just thought, "oh we're developing a new TT V6, must be going in the Supra" and it's really not. These numbers sound good to me though.