New Toyota Supra will reportedly launch at Geneva Motor Show (per Auto Express)

Anyone going to the New York Auto Show?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Don't forget the new NSX - Duke Nukem levels of wait time there.
Nissan IDX wants a word with you!
I was just talking about the amount of time it has been spied testing. The 86 for example was roughly 8 months. We're closing on almost 2 years since the production body was caught driving around in Europe. I just hope the final product is worth the wait.

Hondabar

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Accord hrv
The Toyota marketing types might nix a production reveal until they are a few months away from having the car in showrooms to prevent a premature peak in hype that could negatively impact sales demand. Twelve months is too long a period over which to maintain high levels of media exposure and interest unless you are talking about something like the mid-engine Vette. Toyota will want to time peak frenzy with the opening of the order books.

If they present a non-race concept in Geneva it will probably be similar to Honda's for the last Accord - basically the production vehicle with a few trim differences (lights, splitter and diffuser shapes, wheels, etc.)
I think this makes sense to me. I guess it depends on their time table for release. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue....:hmm:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Don't forget the new NSX - Duke Nukem levels of wait time there.
Nope, the NSX concept was unveiled 2012. The production car followed just 3 years later in 2015. It has been already been 4 years since Toyota debut the FT-1 in 2014.

I personally expect late 2018 to early 2019.
I'm thinking sometime in 2019 since A70TTR said it will be a 2020 model year.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Nope, the NSX concept was unveiled 2012. The production car followed just 3 years later in 2015. It has been already been 4 years since Toyota debut the FT-1 in 2014.
NSX was far worse than this. First, actual production deliveries didn't start until mid 2016, delivered as 2017 model year cars.

Second, Honda had been teasing a new NSX since before the first generation car stopped production. First concept we got was in 2004. CEO told us in 2007 we'd have a car by 2010. There were even prototypes running around the ring in 2008. All the while news and reports of what's to come, quotes from Honda and Acura officials, you name it. Then we finally got the real concept in 2012 which they pimped like crazy, seinfeld and leno commercial, even had iron man drive the car. By the time the car was labeled an Acura and presented it in 2013, it was basically non-news.

You can cite concept to production to make it look not that horrible but when you look at the whole picture it's a completely different story. We're talking well over a decade.

FT1 was the first true Supra successor concept. Nor was Toyota CEO promising us a car every couple of years. You could make an argument for LFA, but that was always a big dollar Lexus car. And LFA was also an embarrassment in concept to production, but still not of the scale of NSX.

Toyota is definitely making us wait a ridiculous amount of time for this car, but Acura still takes the cake by a longshot.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
NSX was far worse than this. First, actual production deliveries didn't start until mid 2016, delivered as 2017 model year cars.

Second, Honda had been teasing a new NSX since before the first generation car stopped production. First concept we got was in 2004. CEO told us in 2007 we'd have a car by 2010. There were even prototypes running around the ring in 2008. All the while news and reports of what's to come, quotes from Honda and Acura officials, you name it. Then we finally got the real concept in 2012 which they pimped like crazy, seinfeld and leno commercial, even had iron man drive the car. By the time the car was labeled an Acura and presented it in 2013, it was basically non-news.

You can cite concept to production to make it look not that horrible but when you look at the whole picture it's a completely different story. We're talking well over a decade.

FT1 was the first true Supra successor concept. Nor was Toyota CEO promising us a car every couple of years. You could make an argument for LFA, but that was always a big dollar Lexus car. And LFA was also an embarrassment in concept to production, but still not of the scale of NSX.

Toyota is definitely making us wait a ridiculous amount of time for this car, but Acura still takes the cake by a longshot.
But none of those concepts actually used the NSX name (HSC and ASCC/HVS). And the HSC actually debut in 2003. ;)

If we want to play that game than lets count the 2006 FT-HS concept as the 1st "Supra" concept. :thumbsup: While Toyota's CEO at the time didn't say anything about it going into production; they sure did parade it to every auto show for 2 years. It also didn't help that top Toyota executives did tease us with some of their comments.

NSX: 2003-2015 = 12 years
Supra: 2006-"2019" = 13 years

Either way, roughly 2 years spied and still no production car is quite the wait.

Last edited:

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Motoring is also saying it will appear in Geneva.

https://www.motoring.com.au/detroit-confidential-110654/

Last but not least was another question for CALTY president Kevin Hunter, who oversees the designs of many new Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

Never mind that he’s “super excited” about the upcoming Toyota Supra, which is expected to lob in March at the 2018 Geneva motor show.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
So I sent Toyota USA an email with hope they would have some kind of info.

Me:
Hello, I have been reading reports of the Toyota/BMW sports car making an appearance at the Geneva auto show in a few months. I was wondering if Toyota USA can comment on that? If the reports are true will it be the production car or another concept? Thank you.

Toyota USA:
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry regarding Toyota and BMW manufacturers.

We apologize as information on the Geneva auto show is currently unavailable. Toyota will release information closer to the actual date. We currently do not have a tentative date.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
haha yeah, they are the NDA; marketing is the entity that shuts everyone up and polices information

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Roughly 22 days left and still no teaser. :(
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.