New Toyota Supra will reportedly launch at Geneva Motor Show (per Auto Express)

Anyone going to the New York Auto Show?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
glad you guys picked up on what I was referring to, but yes akin to the FT-86II debut

almost production, but not quite in other words. although it may be closer than that car was aesthetically speaking.
Sponsored

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
So we're getting another near production concept, and somehow it is suppose to magically appear in showrooms 7 months later. I still think 2019 is the earliest that we will see it at dealers. You guys did recall cars like the LC and new LS took over a year to show up on dealer lots after their auto show unveiling.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
So we're getting another near production concept, and somehow it is suppose to magically appear in showrooms 7 months later. I still think 2019 is the earliest that we will see it at dealers. You guys did recall cars like the LC and new LS took over a year to show up on dealer lots after their auto show unveiling.
I think the confusion is due to the BMW having a paper that shows SOP this November. That should have them on the road by Spring 2019, which is a bit early for a 2020 designation. Fall 2019 as a 2020 works for me though.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Well if SOP is in fact November then the earliest it's going to hit showrooms is January, probably late January - early production runs are held back for extra QA testing in most cases. So 12 months until it hits the showroom, not 7. As long as the car doesn't go on sale until after Jan 1 2019 it can be declared a 2020 MY car.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
The SOP is for the Z4. I don't know about Toyota's timeline, because Toyota is so tight-lipped bout everything. My post was originally referring to the comment that was made about Toyota's car going on sale in Europe in October of this year. I don't think that is likely. I think BMW's version could come to market a few months before Toyota's. And here is why.

1. BMW's prototypes were spotted testing (1/2016) before Toyota's prototypes (5/2016).
2. BMW has already shown a near production concept car. 80% will carry over onto production car.
3. The BMW test car has already dropped all heavy camo; while Toyota's car is still heavy disguised.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
^ Ah, I thought the SOP date was for the Supra.

Your inferences make a lot of sense - but didn't we recently see some normally reliable source claim that the Supra was coming first?

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
^ Ah, I thought the SOP date was for the Supra.

Your inferences make a lot of sense - but didn't we recently see some normally reliable source claim that the Supra was coming first?
Yeah on page 3 Nic.CH said his father attended a meeting where they said Toyota's car was going on sale in October for Europe. It could be true, I don't know for sure. I'm not trying to discredit anyone, but I just don't think it is possible for all the reasons I stated above.

Last edited:

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
The Toyota marketing types might nix a production reveal until they are a few months away from having the car in showrooms to prevent a premature peak in hype that could negatively impact sales demand. Twelve months is too long a period over which to maintain high levels of media exposure and interest unless you are talking about something like the mid-engine Vette. Toyota will want to time peak frenzy with the opening of the order books.

If they present a non-race concept in Geneva it will probably be similar to Honda's for the last Accord - basically the production vehicle with a few trim differences (lights, splitter and diffuser shapes, wheels, etc.)

Last edited:

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
I personally expect late 2018 to early 2019.
I'm not sure what Toyota's debut to launch window looks like, but it's not unheard of to be on the same day: see Porsche.

It would be really surprising though from toyota.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.