New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
You guys are cracking me up. We still technically don't know shit about this car and we are flipping out because of an unreliable source posting what looks like copy and paste specs from the Z4. Everyone chill out... I seriously doubt those are the specs and price for the new Supra. Pricing it that high with those "specs" is a joke and a chimp can see that. EVERYONE would rather go buy a Porsche, Lexus, BMW, AUDI, Merc, etc... for that price point and I'm sure Toyota knows this as well. They have a lot riding on this car because of the hype and prestige that comes with the Supra nameplate. If it sucks that bad and does indeed cost $60k, you can go purchase a MKIV TT 6spd for that price LOL. I want this car to be badass and succeed as much as the next Supra enthusiast, but I'll reserve my judgments for when Toyota releases verified specs and I drive the car.
Sponsored

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
why compare the RC F at 75 K when that doesn't buy you any more performance? The base price at 64 K is the real comparison..

Either way, I'm not sure why you think Supra would cannibalize the RC F, they should be two totally different shoppers as most Lexus buyers don't care about actually being the fastest otherwise they would have gotten a BMW or AMG.
I am quite aware of that as the focus is different but I figured with the two companies being entirely different yet working together, Lexus would want to be seeing what their brother is doing while keeping an ear on the partner of BMW.

I recall A70 saying Lexus put some pressure or was at least voicing their concerns of the car's performance coming after them.BMW has luxury, perhaps not at the level of a Audi or Lexus but upscaled materials

Or my mind is playing tricks, probably the latter

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are cracking me up. We still technically don't know shit about this car and we are flipping out because of an unreliable source posting what looks like copy and paste specs from the Z4. Everyone chill out.
Guff and AT077R haven't really been "unreliable sources"....at least up to this point IMHO. So, if stats like this came from either one, I would say it's 90% true. My beef with all this is the overall appeal and value of this car. Had Toyota marketed the car more like a GTR competitor, I would gladly pay $60k....heck, i'd pay closer to $100k! However, they didn't market the car that way....they are simply trying to piggyback off of the MKIV's legacy to maximize profits with mediocre gear. Let me put this way, are you willing to pay $60k+ for a BMW Z4??? If not, than you shouldn't be ready to pay $60k+ for a MKV Supra, because a Z4 is exactly what you will be getting. Even at 400HP, the MKV Supra shouldn't cost no more than $52-55k....again, with 400HP. At $60k, this car should tear a Vette a new hole....but based on the specs, that won't happen. Let's face it guys, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Guff and AT077R haven't really been "unreliable sources"....at least up to this point IMHO. So, if stats like this came from either one, I would say it's 90% true. My beef with all this is the overall appeal and value of this car. Had Toyota marketed the car more like a GTR competitor, I would gladly pay $60k....heck, i'd pay closer to $100k! However, they didn't market the car that way....they are simply trying to piggyback off of the MKIV's legacy to maximize profits with mediocre gear. Let me put this way, are you willing to pay $60k+ for a BMW Z4??? If not, than you shouldn't be ready to pay $60k+ for a MKV Supra, because a Z4 is exactly what you will be getting. Even at 400HP, the MKV Supra shouldn't cost no more than $52-55k....again, with 400HP. At $60k, this car should tear a Vette a new hole....but based on the specs, that won't happen. Let's face it guys, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.
As Performance have said, A70 and Guff might as well be Toyota with how reliable they have been. Unless this rumor was just to ruff feathers and to prep toyota salesman to make an incredible pitch with how little they have in terms of specs, this is it.

I agree with Performance for once. I didn't want Toyota to compete with the GTR because they're not going to make everything in-house and if they did, it would probably be a concept and nothing more. I thought working with BMW would cut the cost down and make it potentially a cheap car for the power and development in comparison to what it would have been. Everything Tada has worked up to this point feels like it was thrown in the trash too so we are not getting a bargain car, just a two seater that's Supra in name only and is the equivalent of the Z4.

The idea of a potential N/A motor for 40k and a souped up turbo at 55k is gone and we're just gonna have to either see this was a joke or toyota USA really think the public will buy just because of the name.

On an unrelated note, what are the odds toyota work with Porsche to make a MR2?

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
I agree, but it was never Toyota's intention to go after and compete with the GTR. I also agree that GUFF and A70 have been reliable sources, but neither of them posted those specs and have stated that info came from an UN-verified source. You may be one of the few that would be willing to pay close to $100k for a Supra if it delivered on every front that we wanted. The unfortunate truth is that there will NEVER be another car like the MKIV from Toyota. When it comes down to it, most of the people that are going to be interested in this car are going to be enthusiast and people with some money to blow. Toyota caters to family cars and vans as well as the eco-warriors who drive Prius'. I'll keep the faith until I hear something concrete from a Toyota spokesperson and not let peoples imaginary specs doom the car before its released.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
It's always been a Z(Fairlady) competitor

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You may be one of the few that would be willing to pay close to $100k for a Supra if it delivered on every front that we wanted. The unfortunate truth is that there will NEVER be another car like the MKIV from Toyota.
The fact that a good majority of people are paying $60-$70k now for used MKIV's is a very good sign that they will pay close to $100k for a true modern day brand new Supra (aka GTR competitor)...not a Z4 badged. People said the same thing about the R35 GTR when it was first being released remember...."who will pay $80k for a Nissan???" or "who will pay $80k for a car that gets serviced next to a Versa??? It has proven everyone wrong!! The GTR still sells, and sells pretty damn well considering it's price tag and the economic climate for sports cars in general.

I think what alot of people (including Toyota themselves) are not realizing, is that the MKIV Supra had such an impact on alot of young people in the early 2000's who couldn't afford a MKIV, that alot of those people grew up and are making good money to finally want another car like the MKIV Supra. The whole reason why the Supra name is what it is today, is because people want "THAT" kind of car....a modern day MKIV Supra. Re-branding a BMW a Supra and making people "feel like they are in a Supra" or "capturing the essence of a Supra" doesn't mean shit....those are words from the marketing yuppies. Toyota needs to either build what the people want, or don't build it at all! If the unfortunate truth is that there will never be another car like the MKIV, then that's Toyota's fault for not understanding it's prime audience. However, don't assume it was never possible....and that people wouldn't have paid near $100k for one....because many many would....including me.

If the MKV Supra is anything less than the MKIV Supra in any way, it's "automatically" a failure...no pun intended.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's always been a Z(Fairlady) competitor
In the states yes, not outside the US. The GTR was never here before the R35 to be considered a competitor to the Supra....so the Z stepped in. The whole reason a JZ engines even exist is because of competition with Nissan's RB series of motors.

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
The only way this works is if they supply a 47k GT car at 300-335hp and 3400 lbs but acceptable in its class.
I believe in Tada and his team. I want the new Supra to be a success.

But how are those specs acceptable in it's class when a 10 year old 370Z platform gets you that for $17K less? You can buy a new Z for $30K all day long right now. Is the Supra name worth that much if a premium?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Small update:

Some murmurs of available trim levels/option packages. Potential for a 'fairly basic' base car available, not like a JDM RC/Stripper model, but basic sound and seats and a minimal amount of added safety gadgetry. Then options for premium stuff that will add cost and, of course, weight.

The caveat here is that I don't know what the base specs or price is. I would assume that the leaked $63k price is for something fully loaded, so we'd be working down from there.

If I'm guessing, I'd say base car comes in right under 60k, maybe even getting close to the base Cayman's $56,900, but this is purely speculation. Let's keep in mind that a base Cayman with an Automatic costs $60,110, makes 300hp/280tq, and weighs 3010 lbs. The Cayman S starts at $72,510 for the Auto ($69,300 for the manual), makes 350hp/309tq, and weighs 3054 lbs. Toyota no doubt knows this, and understands the value proposition their car has to have in order to be competitive. Even hardcore Toyota fanboys like myself would think twice about passing up a Cayman for a Toyota that was objectively worse for the same money.

Of course, as usual, none of this is certain. I'm just trying to keep my finger on the pulse here. I'll update if I get more info.

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
I did not read all 21 pages, the first one was just enough. Everybody is crying und totally surprised, that the Supra MKV comes with nearby same specs like the upcoming Z4.
Wake up Guys! It is or will come like a lot of people said before: The MKV is a BMW Z4 with just a different shape and a Toyota badge on it. That’s not new. You all have been dreaming.

Please stop crying, jump out of the sandbox and grow up. Welcome to the real world! ;)

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Well, you remember when I said it (or I) needed transaxle? For me a much bigger issue than what you guys are complaining about. :D

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I did not read all 21 pages, the first one was just enough. Everybody is crying und totally surprised, that the Supra MKV comes with nearby same specs like the upcoming Z4.
Wake up Guys! It is or will come like a lot of people said before: The MKV is a BMW Z4 with just a different shape and a Toyota badge on it. That’s not new. You all have been dreaming.

Please stop crying, jump out of the sandbox and grow up. Welcome to the real world! ;)
Unfortunately.. it’s becoming more and more of a Zupra

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Small update:

Some murmurs of available trim levels/option packages. Potential for a 'fairly basic' base car available, not like a JDM RC/Stripper model, but basic sound and seats and a minimal amount of added safety gadgetry. Then options for premium stuff that will add cost and, of course, weight.

The caveat here is that I don't know what the base specs or price is. I would assume that the leaked $63k price is for something fully loaded, so we'd be working down from there.

If I'm guessing, I'd say base car comes in right under 60k, maybe even getting close to the base Cayman's $56,900, but this is purely speculation. Let's keep in mind that a base Cayman with an Automatic costs $60,110, makes 300hp/280tq, and weighs 3010 lbs. The Cayman S starts at $72,510 for the Auto ($69,300 for the manual), makes 350hp/309tq, and weighs 3054 lbs. Toyota no doubt knows this, and understands the value proposition their car has to have in order to be competitive. Even hardcore Toyota fanboys like myself would think twice about passing up a Cayman for a Toyota that was objectively worse for the same money.

Of course, as usual, none of this is certain. I'm just trying to keep my finger on the pulse here. I'll update if I get more info.
Guff, thanks...sounding better but not reliable sources/purely speculation/murmurs...

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
Again...

How can this car command such high dollar when it hasn't proven itself?

Basic model has to be above FRS but below Cayman, and offer more performance on paper.

Top Tier should be a GT4 fighter with pricing low enough for GT4 market buyers to give it a try.

Basic Model: 45-50K
Top Tier: 60-70K

This above would allow the car to be positioned correctly for the market to try out and adopt. Once adopted then ofcourse we build and get better. Tuners can chime in, aftermarket builds and most importantly the car sells. And once engineered properly we give the "Supra" name a proper revive.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.