New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
Of course they are different with one being NA and the other turbo. I only compared them because others did.

First off, even though you state 2020 supra has 340hp, we do not know that to be a fact. Also, BMW motor are underrated.
If you say we do not know if this B58 engine produces 340hp, how can you say it is already underrated?

You failed to address peak power

VQ37 Nismo - 350HP @7400 rpm, 276ftlbs @5200, 7500 redline.
B58 - 322hp @ 5500 to 6500 rpm, 332 lb/ft @1380 to 5000, 7000 redline.
A V6 configuration relies primarily on high RPM to reach peak hp. Hence, what you reported.

The B58 makes peak torque early and stays there through most of its rev range and then enters it's peak hp.
VQ37 on the other hand, doesnt make nearly as much torque and doesn't make it until late in its rev range and just hits its peak hp and then needs to shift.
This I completely agree with. But that is a flaw with V engines

Like I said, you can play the numbers game on who makes most power but you can not compare power curves and actual performance, the B58 blows it away. Have you seen the movie Moneyball?

NIsmo 370z 0-60: 4.9-5.3s, 1466 kg
M240i 0-60: 4.1-4.4s, 1596 kg.

B58 all day, every day.
To have a comparison between the 370z and supra/m240i within itself is a novel already. The fact that this car coming out with subpar specs is disappointing (based off of what we know so far). We want more.

This might be a surprise to you also, but comparing a +decade old engine to a fairly new engine where the new engine is turbocharged producing far less hp with the most recent help of techno logic applications while struggling to pass an old platform is still surprising to many eyes.

TLDR: The A90 will blow the 370z out of the water
It sure will with far more bells and whistles, but the nismo wont be far behind.
Sponsored

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
If you say we do not know if this B58 engine produces 340hp, how can you say it is already underrated?
I did not say it was underrated, I was referring to all current bmw motors.

Stock 322hp B58s dyno anywhere between 310-330whp. Considering d/t loss, thats a 10%-15% sandbag on the factory.

A V6 configuration relies primarily on high RPM to reach peak hp. Hence, what you reported.

This I completely agree with. But that is a flaw with V engines
I think you mean NA V6, the VR30 has a completely different curve

To have a comparison between the 370z and supra/m240i within itself is a novel already. The fact that this car coming out with subpar specs is disappointing (based off of what we know so far). We want more.

This might be a surprise to you also, but comparing a +decade old engine to a fairly new engine where the new engine is turbocharged producing far less hp with the most recent help of techno logic applications while struggling to pass an old platform is still surprising to many eyes.

It sure will with far more bells and whistles, but the nismo wont be far behind.
We can compare the N54 if you want as well, which came out in 07, the N54 still blows it out of the water.

I did not say the B58 was struggling to surpass it with 10+ years of development.
I said it was hands down all around better

You can say it is an apples or oranges, and it is, but then you cant say its equivalent

Before you call me a BMW fan boy, mind you a DD a 6mt VQ37

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
I did not say the B58 was struggling to surpass it with 10+ years of development.
I said it was hands down all around better.

Thats because I said it. Doesnt mean it will. I havent even purchase the A90 yet.

You can say it is an apples or oranges, and it is, but then you cant say its equivalent

Before you call me a BMW fan boy, mind you a DD a 6mt VQ37
So, do you want me to call you a BMW fan boy? Is this what you want?

Never said it is equivalent.
Tracked manual 350z
Had a daily g37 7spd auto :(

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Thats because I said it. Doesnt mean it will. I havent even purchase the A90 yet.

So, do you want me to call you a BMW fan boy? Is this what you want?

Never said it is equivalent.
Tracked manual 350z
Had a daily g37 7spd auto :(
Have you driven a car with a N54/N55/B58?

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
I have driven a friends f32, but never tracked it.

Matthew

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 JDM Legacy GT
:) Possibly but with the UK ordering system there isn't really anything to lose. It's only a thousand pound which is full refundable. So if I don't like the specs in Jan I'll get the money back, if I do and Toyota pull it out of the bag, I get one of the first in the country, it's a win win.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
:) Possibly but with the UK ordering system there isn't really anything to lose. It's only a thousand pound which is full refundable. So if I don't like the specs in Jan I'll get the money back, if I do and Toyota pull it out of the bag, I get one of the first in the country, it's a win win.
Or wait for a special version that might be coming shortly.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
I would assume the LCF would cost significantly more since the LC is around 100k already.

A serialized car with 500 hp, good weight to hp distribution would be a monster. (Coming from a 520 hp 3200 pounds GT3RS) wishful thinking of course, but fingers crossed.
Exactly my point. I know the "regular" MKV will be somewhere between 50-65k. But I'd rather get a new or a slightly used LC500 for a bit more.

The serialized MKV won't be cheap, I would say +85k at least. Which compared to the LC500 would be a steal. The LC-F will be the top of the line Toyota/Lexus vehicle at $150-$170k and probably serialized as well. Price wise, yes they're completely targeting a different audience. But in a show room, a 650hp LC-F and a 500hp MKV don't look that much different.

My guess is Toyota is making their own 3JZ using the B58. I would go further and say even the bottom end would be further reinforced. Along with a decent looking valve cover with "Toyota" stamped into it and you have a pretty good internet-breaking recipe.

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
Do we think this "special version" or tweaks if not included in the regular top trim 6 cylinder will be announced come January along with everything else?

Also if this is a serialized version with some unique cabin/body differences Im not sure it would be my cup of tea. I would want to modify and tune the car and I just can't bring myself to do that to a serialized potentially unique collectors car.

If this change is a beefier more robust engine or something along those lines I can't see them limiting them....make whatever amount is in demand. If thats the case then I hope its announced in January....if not released from the get go at least tell me the timeline of release

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My guess is Toyota is making their own 3JZ using the B58. I would go further and say even the bottom end would be further reinforced. Along with a decent looking valve cover with "Toyota" stamped into it and you have a pretty good internet-breaking recipe.
Now that would be ideal. Along with a manual option of course.

I guess it could make sense given that BMW supposedly has said the Z4 will not be sharing the higher output engine (382HP version) with the Supra. So maybe they will both have the revised B58 as a base entry level 340-350 HP, and each top trim have it's own designed engine from each brand :dunno:. Working on the B58 may have given Toyota an upper hand on catching up on what a modern turbo inline 6 is engineered like only to come up with their own formula :stirthepot:. Not a bad strategy if this is how it plays out.

Edit: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/vln-nordschleife-premiere-for-toyota-supra-a90.1416/page-4

Captain_Kirk posted a video by a Youtuber (Matt Maran) saying a spy photographer reported BMW is planning on keeping the higher variant B58.

Last edited:

jdcalve

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TRD Pro
Now that would be ideal. Along with a manual option of course.

I guess it could make sense given that BMW was recently quoted saying the Z4 would not be sharing the higher output engine (382HP version) with the Supra. So maybe they will both have the revised B58 as a base entry level 340-350 HP, and each top trim have it's own designed engine from each brand :dunno:. Working on the B58 may have given Toyota an upper hand on catching up on what a modern turbo inline 6 is engineered like only to come up with their own formula :stirthepot:. Not a bad strategy if this is how it plays out.
Where was that quoted?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly my point. I know the "regular" MKV will be somewhere between 50-65k. But I'd rather get a new or a slightly used LC500 for a bit more.

The serialized MKV won't be cheap, I would say +85k at least. Which compared to the LC500 would be a steal. The LC-F will be the top of the line Toyota/Lexus vehicle at $150-$170k and probably serialized as well. Price wise, yes they're completely targeting a different audience. But in a show room, a 650hp LC-F and a 500hp MKV don't look that much different.

I don't know about the whole "$50k-$65k" for the "regular" one. I am thinking more along the lines of $45k-$55k for the regular ones....and up to $65k for the "special" cars. Remember, $65k today would put the MKV Supra in the similar price point as it was during the MKIV era....for the top range model.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't know about the whole "$50k-$65k" for the "regular" one. I am thinking more along the lines of $45k-$55k for the regular ones....and up to $65k for the "special" cars. Remember, $65k today would put the MKV Supra in the similar price point as it was during the MKIV era....for the top range model.
If the car maintains a 55k trim for competitive performance and pricing, it will sell.

The 65k is what will be drawing maximum attention if it can match a Cayman GTS at least in performance, fun per dollar at least. Now, a Supra giving a Cayman GT4 hell at 65 ish k, oof, sign me up.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.