NHTSA Recalls (Aug 3, 2021) - Remedy Available

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
They might or might now, but you can always just reload from your backup.
Don't have backups so I'll just have to do it over. Kind of a pain but oh well.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I'm also curious about the recall's software update affecting the full-screen Apple CarPlay flash from Easy Bimmer Coding. :dunno:

KBG

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
They might or might now, but you can always just reload from your backup.
I would assume backups are "current settings" prior to the change you are making (aka a restore point). If I'm correct, if you used your last backup as a restore point, you would have to re-apply what ever change you made post that point.

Reactions: zrk

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I assuming the update is processed through the OBD2 port?

Which means anyone will JB4 will need to switch to Map0 and detach it from the port..(?)

I don't even remember where I placed the BT module for Bimmercode..

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Went for an oil change today and stood by the technician. He said the recall was active and the remedy was an ECU update. I asked if it would lock the ECUs and he said he didn’t know.

the actual flash takes 45 minutes

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Went for an oil change today and stood by the technician. He said the recall was active and the remedy was an ECU update. I asked if it would lock the ECUs and he said he didn’t know.

Dang, that's longer than my initial reflash on my Golf-R when I went Cobb (AccessPort). I got a bit worried after 25min as my Subaru's usually only take a few mins even for the initial flash.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
They're probably not just updating the ECU, but doing a full I-Level update across all the control modules. As I understand BMW, when a production code level is released it's a consolidated revision across all the modules. Even if the base code for a particular module hasn't actually changed, it's still versioned and flashed to match the I-Level release. More advanced/experienced technicians can update individual modules like the head unit only (RE: FS Apple CarPlay of late) or just the ECU, TCU or BCM but I suspect that people will find their BimmerCode changes, etc all wiped after getting this update indicating that more than just the ECU was flashed. But that's just speculation.

EDIT:

Based on the remedy notification, it appears that they are updating the entire I-Level to S18T-21-07-519

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 4.12.38 PM.png

Last edited:

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
I know for certain I've double pressed the Start button (without actually starting the car) numerous times by accident while I was supposed to hit it 3x to get the car in diagnostic mode. I have no issue with braking.

But if you think about it, in order to get the car in diagnostic mode there is no way but to hit the start button twice in close succession +1 time which means diagnostic mode is bad for the car because you hit the start button twice in close succession.

This remedy makes as much sense as the headlight aim recall where they capped the horizontal adjustment while the service manual clearly states you must adjust both vertical and horizontal axis for proper aim.

But then people claim they are smart and so I must be getting dumber the more I read. I should stop reading and I will be smart because not knowing I'm dumb means that I must be smart.. okay, I need to get some more chips now cause I drained myself.
Pressing the start button three times to get into diagnostic mode should have literally 0 to do with this issue because any time you try to put the car into diagnostic mode you shouldn't be pressing the brake pedal. This issue, according to BMW/Yota, is because of "not so firm" brake press and double pressing the start button on attempted start up, which you shouldn't be pressing the brake pedal at all if you're trying to put the car into diagnostic mode.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero

If the flash actually took 45 minutes that sounds like a hell of a lot they had to recode. I can say one thing for certain, and that's that if this "recall" has to be performed, and it ends up locking everyones ecu's, I will be trading this car something else. I love my Supra and I can't imagine not having my tune on this car. Hell, I'm sitting here right now thinking about purchasing the flex fuel kit so that I can run an E50 tune.

mortavious

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium Absolute Zero
They're probably not just updating the ECU, but doing a full I-Level update across all the control modules. As I understand BMW, when a production code level is released it's a consolidated revision across all the modules. Even if the base code for a particular module hasn't actually changed, it's still versioned and flashed to match the I-Level release. More advanced/experienced technicians can update individual modules like the headhunt only (RE: FS Apple CarPlay of late) or just the ECU, TCU or BCM but I suspect that people will find their BimmerCode changes, etc all wiped after getting this update indicating that more than just the ECU was flashed. But that's just speculation.

EDIT:

Based on the remedy notification, it appears that they are updating the entire I-Level to S18T-21-07-519

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 4.12.38 PM.png
Does this include fullscreen carplay?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pressing the start button three times to get into diagnostic mode should have literally 0 to do with this issue because any time you try to put the car into diagnostic mode you shouldn't be pressing the brake pedal. This issue, according to BMW/Yota, is because of "not so firm" brake press and double pressing the start button on attempted start up, which you shouldn't be pressing the brake pedal at all if you're trying to put the car into diagnostic mode.
Right on, I figured that part out too. No crankshaft movement, no issue.

I still do not know how this crankshaft driven vacuum pump works, but is it correct to think that if the crankshaft turned backwards (as the recall suggests is happening when engine-start fails) it results in giving the brake booster positive pressure on the vacuum side possibly damaging the gaskets on the diaphragm?

Then the brake booster is atmospheric pressure on both sides of the diaphragm or no boost.

I mean if this is only a software update to prevent dumbarse-engine start fails, then I'm definitely not taking my car in because I'm very careful taking my time when I start my cars, especially my fun cars.
Sponsored