No traction

GGorman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra
Wanted to see if I was the only one with this problem. At anywhere during first or second gear, when going full throttle the tires just spin like crazy.
Is there anything that can be done to improve traction with the stock tires?
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Wanted to see if I was the only one with this problem. At anywhere during first or second gear, when going full throttle the tires just spin like crazy.
Is there anything that can be done to improve traction with the stock tires?
yes. You can lower tire pressure a little, and warm them up with burnouts or driving, but you’re better off buying sticky tires.

NewGuy

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium,18 X5 M
yes. You can lower tire pressure a little, and warm them up with burnouts or driving, but you’re better off buying sticky tires.
What sticky tires would you recommend?

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
Is this with TC in or off? T C always reins any slip I would have. And I can smash the throttle from a stop, but I rarely loose persistent traction even with TC off. Even with stock tires, unless the ground was slightly wet or I was coming out of a corner.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Seeing how you live in PA, I imagine it's pretty cold up there; that would be your culprit. To improve traction if you don't want to spend money on stickier tires would be to lower the PSI in your tires.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What sticky tires would you recommend?
R888Rs are.. ok if you warm them up. That’s what I have on the back for daily driving. They really need some heat. I run the rears around 28psi.

For my next set of tires, I’m going with the Nitto NT555RII in the rear, and NT555G2 in the front.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is this with TC in or off? T C always reins any slip I would have. And I can smash the throttle from a stop, but I rarely loose persistent traction even with TC off. Even with stock tires, unless the ground was slightly wet or I was coming out of a corner.
This is a good point as well. Traction and VSC off.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Do your 285 tires spin at all @zrk ? Actually thinking of ditching the idea of going 305 so I can keep the stock wheels

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do your 285 tires spin at all @zrk ? Actually thinking of ditching the idea of going 305 so I can keep the stock wheels
The R888Rs spin into 3rd on a prepped track with a decent launch. My best run on the R888Rs was 11.65 or so. They were at 32ish PSI at the time because I’m an idiot. My burnout was also not great, but I had just driven from Chicago to GLD.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
I'm running Nitto 555RII's in the rear, 285/35/19's, cold with no heat in them, I leave them at 25 psi, roughly 55f, they damn near dead hook in second. This is straight out of the garage, no burn out, only enough driving to leave my neighborhood and get straight to the street and just allowing the car enough time to warm up before pulling the car out on the road and hammering it. Once they are warmed up a bit from driving, the tire pressure will raise from 25ish all the way up to about 28ish, and second will dead hook from any RPM unless you're loading the converter and launching the car with TCS fully off, in this case you will experience some wheel spin. I've also never performed a burnout before launching the car on these tires. The one day I really tried to test these tires I was running them at 35 psi, stupid I know, never did a single burnout, and was able to drop 3 back to back 3.8 second 0-60's. Also, I've never been to a drag strip and have no idea what the best practices are to get a good 60ft time, but at 35psi, no burnout, obviously no prep on the street, these tires have cracked as low as a 1.9 60ft. I'm sure these tires would perform excellently on the strip and do just fine for the street.

EDIT: Forgot to mention for the OP that my car is stage 2 tuned on E40, stock turbo, stock fuel system, no menthanol.

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm running Nitto 555RII's in the rear, 285/35/19's, cold with no heat in them, I leave them at 25 psi, roughly 55f, they damn near dead hook in second. This is straight out of the garage, no burn out, only enough driving to leave my neighborhood and get straight to the street and just allowing the car enough time to warm up before pulling the car out on the road and hammering it. Once they are warmed up a bit from driving, the tire pressure will raise from 25ish all the way up to about 28ish, and second will dead hook from any RPM unless you're loading the converter and launching the car with TCS fully off, in this case you will experience some wheel spin. I've also never performed a burnout before launching the car on these tires. The one day I really tried to test these tires I was running them at 35 psi, stupid I know, never did a single burnout, and was able to drop 3 back to back 3.8 second 0-60's. Also, I've never been to a drag strip and have no idea what the best practices are to get a good 60ft time, but at 35psi, no burnout, obviously no prep on the street, these tires have cracked as low as a 1.9 60ft. I'm sure these tires would perform excellently on the strip and do just fine for the street.
Yeah - this sounds right for those tires. Are you running G2s in the front?

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Yeah - this sounds right for those tires. Are you running G2s in the front?
Actually I'm running PS4S's in the front. 265/35/19. I should have gone with the G2's but I had already purchased the PS4S's for the front back when my plans were to just swap to a set of four new PS4S's. They work great together though, no complaints here!

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
I have the same questions but more for a street and road course blend and/or canyons, not so much drag strip.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have the same questions but more for a street and road course blend and/or canyons, not so much drag strip.
R888Rs are great for heat cycling and canyon runs.
Sponsored