Oil change already?

SteveW

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I got my Supra back in February; it only had 60 miles on it at the time. It went in for the first "checkup" in mid-March, right before the pandemic took hold. Since then I've been working from home and therefore don't drive the car that much. As a result, it's only got about 1900 miles on it.

However, because it's been 6 months since the last service, the car (well, iDrive) is complaining that it's overdue for service (i.e. it was due in September) and is telling me that my oil is overdue for a change. Sometimes it pops up that "Not changing the oil is bad for the car" type of warning.

Should I even bother getting the oil changed at this point? I don't have the OBD equipment to turn off the notices on my own. The service should be free of course, or close to it depending on what else they do. Just wondering at this point, really.
Sponsored

dc2r

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 BMW M3
so speaking from my preowned bmw ownership experience, bmw pays for the first few years of scheduled maintenance, so when the maintenance reminder says to go regardless of whether you hit the date or mileage limit, you get it done, or else they could use it against you if there is a warranty claim down the road and they say you skipped a service.

your case is a little different, being a bmw that is getting serviced by toyota, and i don't know how toyota approaches this sort of thing. i would contact your dealer and explain the situation and see what they say...

Take_my_money

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV, Taco TRD-OR
Vehicle Showcase
I got my Supra back in February; it only had 60 miles on it at the time. It went in for the first "checkup" in mid-March, right before the pandemic took hold. Since then I've been working from home and therefore don't drive the car that much. As a result, it's only got about 1900 miles on it.

However, because it's been 6 months since the last service, the car (well, iDrive) is complaining that it's overdue for service (i.e. it was due in September) and is telling me that my oil is overdue for a change. Sometimes it pops up that "Not changing the oil is bad for the car" type of warning.

Should I even bother getting the oil changed at this point? I don't have the OBD equipment to turn off the notices on my own. The service should be free of course, or close to it depending on what else they do. Just wondering at this point, really.
After you check the oil level like Ultimateone mentions, another option you have is to just reset the clock for the oil change frequency, using the instruction described here https://www.supramkv.com/threads/how-to-oil-change-instructions.2382/page-2 .

I personally would use this reminder as an opportunity to purge that fuel efficiency targeted 0w oil that lacks the appropriate High-Temperature/High-Shear Viscosity level necessary to handle the engines level of power output. And replace it with ā‰„ 3.5 cP HTHS viscosity to protect your B58 engine if you ever plan on accelerating hard, which I would believe we all do on a regular basis, at least I do. I believe BMW use to use 5w30 for this power plant, and with technology advances in the lubrication sector 0w40 is what I've seen used recently as a balance of protection and efficiency, and that oil is ā‰„ 3.5 cP HTHS viscosity if you were wondering. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
SteveW

SteveW

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Hmmm, I'm not sure which oil the dealer would plan on putting in there. I can certainly ask though.

Itengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Yes. Go for it.
I just did my first one at 3500
The dealer used TGMO 0w-20 syn oil
Just noticed I am getting better mpg after the oil change

OP
OP
SteveW

SteveW

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Update: Checked the oil level last night and it's fine. Called the dealer today and the service rep said to not bother bringing the car in until it hits 5000 miles. I'll work on clearing out the service-based messages, but if those don't go away then the dealer will do that for me.

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Update: Checked the oil level last night and it's fine. Called the dealer today and the service rep said to not bother bringing the car in until it hits 5000 miles. I'll work on clearing out the service-based messages, but if those don't go away then the dealer will do that for me.
Its funny you mention this. My car was sitting on the dealers lot for almost 6 months before i bought it and its all ready wanting me to service it soon and its only got 500 miles.

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Agreed! I plan on waiting until 5000 myself.

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
I did mine after a year at 2500 miles. Since it's the original oil, I decided to do year change, and it's free for the first two years. I also have a BMW and change the oil every year regardless of how few miles I put on it. I would go ahead and do it, just make sure the dealer knows what they are doing.
The dealer I go to in St Charles IL has 2 mechanics certified to work on the Supra. I had the car back in about 3 hours,
Sponsored

Last edited: