Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra 3.0

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
You know how that manual says the oil will drain out of the filter into the oil pan after you loosen it..? on my car it just decided to spill out onto the lower shroud as if there was built up pressure inside. :crazy:

I've done many oil changes in my life time and I usually never have this issue. Like my Subaru's and Golf-R have similar configuration with the inverted filter. They don't spill at all (not even a drop) after loosening the filter a bit and allowing the oil to drain out.

I would place a large rag below the filter and loosen/remove swiftly.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
You know how that manual says the oil will drain out of the filter into the oil pan after you loosen it..? on my car it just decided to spill out onto the lower shroud as if there was built up pressure inside. :crazy:

I've done many oil changes in my life time and I usually never have this issue. Like my Subaru's and Golf-R have similar configuration with the inverted filter. They don't spill at all (not even a drop) after loosening the filter a bit and allowing the oil to drain out.

I would place a large rag below the filter and loosen/remove swiftly.
Was the drain bolt removed from the oil pan when you did this? Iā€™ve never had this happen. When I remove the cap from the oil filter I can hear extra oil drain from the pan.

-RJM

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Was the drain bolt removed from the oil pan when you did this? Iā€™ve never had this happen. When I remove the cap from the oil filter I can hear extra oil drain from the pan.

-RJM
Yes it was. I did this change no differently than my other cars. I know what you mean by hearing more oil come out into the drain pan when you loosen the filter. I didnā€™t hear it and so part of me was like hummmm.. then I went to remove the filter and saw the mess on the other side. It wasnā€™t horrible, but still pretty significant and a fail as I rarely drip any oil.

Next time Iā€™m just going to put a old bath towel under the filter area and just swiftly remove it.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium

ChattSupra

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium
Since we are on the topic of oil. Toyota offers basically 2 free oil changes, One after 10,000 miles or 1 year. 10,000 miles? That sounds really high for a car that is not just driven to church on Sunday. Will Toyota do a free oil change if I bring the car in at 5000 miles? How far are most of you going between changes? I have other cars I do the oil change myself, would you trust the Toyota dealer to do the Supra (even if its free), take it to BMW or do it yourself?

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Since we are on the topic of oil. Toyota offers basically 2 free oil changes, One after 10,000 miles or 1 year. 10,000 miles? That sounds really high for a car that is not just driven to church on Sunday. Will Toyota do a free oil change if I bring the car in at 5000 miles? How far are most of you going between changes? I have other cars I do the oil change myself, would you trust the Toyota dealer to do the Supra (even if its free), take it to BMW or do it yourself?
You can bring it in for those two free oil changes at whatever interval you want, it's not set in stone on Toyota's part. We have tons of customers that don't rack up enough miles per year, but still change it annually.

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP
Teleguy11

Teleguy11

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
After a 2500 mile road trip, I returned home with 3200 miles on my 2021 GR Premium. I took it to Clearwater Toyota and asked them to change the oil and perform a recall notice. My service writer informed me that this free oil change will count as my 10k oil change. I asked him when I could get my next free oil change. He said after 10k more miles.
Looks like I'll be changing my oil myself in 5k more miles.....?

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
5000 lb model.... Love this jack! Lifts my Highlander as well....
20211015_090410.jpg
I would strongly encourage everyone to pony up just a little more cash and get the 7000 lb package. It includes wall hangers and a truck extension kit. Even if you don't currently have a vehicle exceeding 5000 lbs you might at some point. The 7000 unit works just fine on the Supra and my dd Malibu too. My wife and daughter both have F150s. The 7000 model will lift all of our vehicles. You can often find good package deals at home depot and Costco.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I thought it was 10k miles or a year which ever comes first. It would take me 10 years to get to 10k miles.. :crazy:

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Out of curiosity, not for oil changes, but for those of you that work on your cars are you still using air tools in your garages?

I only use brushless motor impacts and drivers as of late.. one of my buddies was talking about replacing his worn out compressor and was considering going brushless too.. I mean if one already has a bunch of attachments it would make sense to continue using air tools.. just wondering. I tossed my compressor a while back.
Sponsored